Why become a member? ×

Orange Juice-Rip it up and start again

loushort

hi there guys and girls of the low end

Here is a question for ya all
my guitarist has picked Orange Juices Rip it up and start again tuneto add to our ever
growing list of Dodgy 80's covers,

anyone know of a decent(low cost)pedal that will give me that farty synth sound as Im not an effects user
im trusting you guys for pointers

cheers and thanks for reading

Lou

I remember seeing an old BBC performance of it, followed by an interview with Edwyn Collins where he reminisced about how they couldn't get the synth to work live and used a Mutron on the bass instead. It sounded not spot-on, but close enough, and you could get there with a modern equivalent like the Qtron - any envelope filter with a reverse sweep, really.

Depends how fussy you are about matching the sound I guess. MuTron / QTron etc should be fine but if not available then any decent envelope follower should get you close enough for recognition of the sound. If i remember correctly the 'synth' sound was on the 7" single but the 12" inch had at least a version where the sound was more straight bass guitar.Do correct me on this if mistaken as I don't have the tracks to hand atm. Also consider adding in a bit of Octave pedal depending on the sound you want. Now, how about a cover of 'Breakfast Time' or 'Blue Boy' or 'Simply Thrilled Honey'. Sorry :-)

I love Orange Juice / Edwyn Collins.

Edwyn is a massive gearhead---has ludicrous amounts of vintage pedals and studio gear.

Has anyone read the book about his illness by his wife? its called [size=4]"[color=#000000][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Falling and Laughing: The Restoration of Edwyn Collins". Its absolutely fascinating, really well written and nearly moved me to tears in a few places. There was also a BBC documentary round about the time it was released as I recall. [/font][/color][/size]

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1353325361' post='1873561']
I[size=4][color=#000000][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]There was also a BBC documentary round about the time it was released as I recall. [/font][/color][/size]
[/quote]

I saw that at the time, very good it was to, quite painful to watch at times.

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1353691173' post='1877585']
Just play it straight

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpkHczKcwsQ[/media]
[/quote]

He could do but the synthy bass sound is now so associated with the song that it seems sort of integral for a straightish cover version esp as it what was on the 7" single.
And yes - that documentary is saved on my PVR - very moving though I've not read the book.
He was a star when I saw him a while ago at Brighton Komedia. And Paul Cook on drums too !

And given that this is a basscentric site I guess we should give an honourable mention to original OJ bassist David McClymont.
Anyone know if he's still musically active ?

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1353024240' post='1870802']
I remember seeing an old BBC performance of it, followed by an interview with Edwyn Collins where he reminisced about how they couldn't get the synth to work live and used a Mutron on the bass instead. It sounded not spot-on, but close enough, and you could get there with a modern equivalent like the Qtron - any envelope filter with a reverse sweep, really.
[/quote]
I'm 99% sure that interview is on one of the Whistle Test DVDs. I'll try and dig my copy out later and see exactly what he says.

Yup, it's on volume 3 of the Whistle Test DVDs (which are highly recommended, although pretty eclectic, and only really the tip of the WT iceberg). And yes, as BotB said, it's a Mutron 3 they used. And after going through the details of this, Edwyn pauses for a moment and then makes some embarrassed comment about his geekiness. It's absolutely wonderful viewing!

Might be worth listening to Beverley Knight's 'In Your Shoes' as well.

It's basically a different vocal over the Orange Juice backing track but there's a few live versions kicking around which may give you some slightly different sound options (I can't check this properly as I'm on holiday with just an iPhone for company!).

From what I remember there's little of the core tone coming through, a lowish deep bass (octaved?) and then a squelchy top end.

Could probably get very close to this with my Mutron but might be difficult with a lot of envelope pedals on their own as a lot of them lose that really low bass and/or won't 'squelch' properly I you play them really down low.

Mind you - any sort of squelchy sound should do for gigging, especially if it's just for one song :)