Why become a member? ×

Octave and distortion to cover rythmn guitar?

redbandit599

Hi all

Been playing about with various ways of adding a 'bit of distorted guitar' along with my bass part on occasions in a 3 piece that I'm practcing with. It's not the usual 'under the solo' gaps, I don't really miss the rythmn guitar there. But on occassions, and for certain songs, we want to drop the 'real guitar, out completely at the odd point (mostly when the guitarist is singing a particularly demanding part), fill a bit with 'something' and then bring the guitar back in. Doubt that makes sense...

Anyhow, has anyone tried running a distortion/overdrive after an octaver and playing the line an octave higher than normal? I've been trying this tonight and it might be ok. Any experience live?

My trusty Digitech BSW is covering octave duties, but I've just dug out a Behringer BOD400 Bass Overdrive to cover the gnarly aspect. It sounds like I might be onto something but the Behringer isn't great sounding, though it does have a Blend knob which would seem vital.

Anyone else tried this with success? Any suggestions on alternative OD pedal that also has Blend that might be an improvement? (Don't think I'll be running to a B3k though....)

If this works out I'll probably sell my Akai Unibass, it's in absolutely perfect condition, boxed, psu etc. They seem to go for quite a bit now, any ideas what a fair price would be for one of these?

Cheers all

J

EHX Micro POG. Set it to dry & Octave up, stick dirt on the effect out & send it to a guitar combo, pop the dry out to your bass rig & robert is yer gramps other son.

Edited to let you know that I do something similar, but more complex using a Boss OC3, a Bass Murf & a cheap dirt pedal.

Edited by xgsjx

Thanks xgsjx

That's similar to what I've been trying with the Unibass, but into the PA. Not sure I can be arsed to lug another combo around just for these odd bits. Trying to get it sounding reasonable through my rig (which I accept might be a tall order...)

Think the guitarist has a Hog or Pog somewhere, so might give that a bash as an alternative.

Cheers

or play tenths on the bass (thirds on the G string, roots on the E string) - I discovered this when a guitarist broke a string halfway through a song and the Floyd Rose trem unit sank into the body, effectively detuning his entire guitar... Muppet.

This won't work with an octave pedal but sounds great through a dirt box!

Cheers guys, off to do research! Some good suggestions in here.

Sibob, is that the Bass BB Pre or the Guitar version?

Lefrash, is that the Joyo JF12? Green thing with a goat on the front!

Paul, good tip, already started tying up my fingers and knackered brain with that!

Ray, I've always fancied an eight string. But I'm very much a fingerstyle guy, do you need to use a pick to get that 8 string sound?

Thanks again.

[quote name='lefrash' timestamp='1353010461' post='1870560']
run a seperat loop (ls2 perhaps) with just a dirty pedal or a fuzz. Ive got a joyo octaver fuzz which does a fuzz one octave up. Have it runing all the time and hit the ls2 to kick in the 2nd loop. Instant extra rythym guitarist!
[/quote]
Sounds like a good plan.

I was going to suggest the Fishman Fisson.

[quote name='redbandit599' timestamp='1353011432' post='1870573']

Paul, good tip, already started tying up my fingers and knackered brain with that!

Ray, I've always fancied an eight string. But I'm very much a fingerstyle guy, do you need to use a pick to get that 8 string sound?

Thanks again.
[/quote]

Thats the one! Its a bit naff with the octave option on its own, but as just an extra layer on your sound then it'l work nicely! lots of knobs to dial in a tone too. As a standard fuzz its ok too.

Cheers Lefrash, that looks like a possibility.

Rob, I've got an Akai Unibass (which is basically the same as the Fishman) it does work and every now and then I think I've nailed it. This is what I've been trying through the PA at practice combined with a Behringer GDI21 guitar amp sim.

I just had a bit of a change of heart and thought that maybe there's another way to add something to the bass tone, rather than try and emulate a guitar too closely. Plus, I run a looper into into the PA for sound samples, so with that and the Akai I've got cables everywhere! So would be good to do it all through the backline.

Cheers though, we obviously thought the same and that's why initially tracked down a Unibass.

Should just be practicing rather than making wierd noises I suppose!

[quote name='redbandit599' timestamp='1353011432' post='1870573']

Thanks again.
[/quote]

I have the Xotic Bass BB Preamp, although I mostly use my Sonic Kitchen clone.
Don't be too keen on filling every sonic gap you can find, sometimes the gaps are nice :)

Si

Check this out - the Fishman Fission Bass FX pedal
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2XKZNMR2Pc
http://www.thomann.de/gb/fishman_fission_bass_fx_pedal.htm

Pricey, but looks like it would do the job.

I was considering one myself for the trio I'm in, but don't have cash for it right now. If it's just for occasional use, you might also find the price isn't worth it.

Cut and change and find what's best for you.

Personally, I don't like the way octaves sound at all, but when I do need any high frequency drive, I have a seperate channel for that, usinga split/mix box.

The drive channel has little to zero bass, and it's mixed back in with a full range clean bass sound. Very effective, bass end still sounds full and untouched and the drive sound very guitar-y.

Hi Ozmike, yep the Fishman looks like the thing, but this is what I've been trying with my Unibass.

Prime_BASS, now that's an idea! I like the sound of that. I do like Octave, but for that Hammondy sound that you can get from them, but what you describe is more what I'm after.

I suppose that's just something like a Boss LS - 2 to split and blend the signal and then with the 'guitar bit' through a seperate (or not I suppose)overdrive before reconnecting.

Hmm.

Cheers all

J