Why become a member? ×

Mixing Competition/Learning Resource - January POLL ADDED!

51m0n

It means you used the K-meter thing as I hoped everyone would.

However I think we have all been a bit screwed by Soundcloud, from what I cna teel part of its 'processing' is to normalise the file for streaming purposes, and that may well have also been done to the file they store as well since downloading mine again it seems to be louder than what I uploaded initially - which seems very odd indeed! Not sure what else that processing has done.

I am going to try an difnd the time to do a little research into alternatives to soundcloud, box.com and dropbox can both play mp3s directly, the big question is can they play wavs back directly too, if so they may well be a better alternative, but there may be file size limitations that make them not suitable for higher sample rate larger bit depth files (or they may not play them back streamed like that at all eithyer).

There seems to be a lot of misunderstanding on K-Metering set up in this thread.
Some folk using it [or intending to] might find it useful to go over the to website of Bob Katz.
It is reasonably involved to work correctly if you don't know what you are doing [and i did not] :lol:

I had a friend set it up for me - And i remember it involved downloading pink noise files,
and monitor calibration. But i ain't no sound engineer, so might be talking bollox.

Garry

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1357910387' post='1930400']There seems to be a lot of misunderstanding on K-Metering set up in this thread...[/quote]

I've since tried but wasn't entirely sure what I was doing. It doesn't help that I can't set up the SPAN pug-in on my master bus as I can't use VSTs within Reason. Instead, I tried outputting my track as normal, loading it up in Reaper and applying the K-meter that way. I downloaded and ran Si's track through it as a 'control' test to see how the meter performed, and it was showing peaks way above zero (when set to K-14) which confused me! Hence I gave up and just outputted my track with minimal bus compression/maximization to preserve the dynamics and left it at that... :blink:

Like I said I wasnt intending anyone to go through the whole 9 yards, just use a comparable meter for output on the render. The metering on different DAWs definitely can show different results IME.

Having said that if you do try the whole Bob Katz approach, it wont hurt you mixes at all.

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1357912301' post='1930456']
I've since tried but wasn't entirely sure what I was doing. It doesn't help that I can't set up the SPAN pug-in on my master bus as I can't use VSTs within Reason. Instead, I tried outputting my track as normal, loading it up in Reaper and applying the K-meter that way. I downloaded and ran Si's track through it as a 'control' test to see how the meter performed, and it was showing peaks way above zero (when set to K-14) which confused me! Hence I gave up and just outputted my track with minimal bus compression/maximization to preserve the dynamics and left it at that... :blink:
[/quote]

Yes, it will do.

At K-14 the 0 is effectively -14dbFs

When using the full K-Metering concept you would set 0 on that meter to your acoustic 80dB at the listening point (ie where your ears our).

Then if you go over 0 its because it got really loud there :D

Like I've said before (and I rather wish I hadnt picked that meter, but something else that was available) it wasnt intended for people to have to learn the entire K-Metering system, just use a meter with the same algorithm behind it.

[quote name='51m0n' timestamp='1357912524' post='1930463'] At K-14 the 0 is effectively -14dbFs[/quote]

Ah, now I gotcha! That makes a whole new world of sense. Thanks Si :)

... explains why yours was peaking around 12-14db when I took a look at it.

K-14 / -14dbFs. There's a clue there somewhere.

Edited by Skol303

Its almost like Bob thought this stuff through ;)

The reason to suggest K-Metering as a meter was that inexperience amongst us would be very unliket to get an over on their render that would ruin it.

And the fact that K-Meters are supposed to have very precise ballistics so people (I would hope) would tend to get very similar results with them...

Edited by 51m0n

Some good reading here, although aimed at general broadcast levels.
http://www.gearslutz.com/board/post-production-forum/107770-film-broadcast-levels.html

EBU recommended levels.
http://tech.ebu.ch/docs/r/r128.pdf

Of course, for just slinging stuff up on SoundCloud, no fecking use what so ever.... :lol:

Garry

OK heads up all of you who are interested, this evening I will generate the Poll in the first post in the thread.

I will go through this thread, and find all the various links (that work) and put it all together in the poll.

If there are any out of date mixes you dont want included then break the link, or if anyone is desperate to get another mix in then please do so asap.

Ta :D

Edited by 51m0n

[quote name='51m0n' timestamp='1358160512' post='1933856']OK heads up all of you who are interested, this evening I will generate the Poll in the first post in the thread...[/quote]

Nice one Si! I haven't had time to tinker with mine since I first uploaded it, so I'm happy for it to be entered as it stands:

http://soundcloud.com/skol-mixes/second-chance-by-tacsi

Well done for getting this whole mixing challenge rolling. It's early days, but I'm hoping this becomes a regular feature on BC. I've really enjoyed this first one :)