Why become a member? ×

Mixing Competition/Learning Resource - January POLL ADDED!

51m0n

[quote name='butlerk02' timestamp='1357485563' post='1923240']

Lurksalot, your mix could benefit from a bit more eq'ing to create a bit more space for everything in the mix.

[/quote]

Thanks for that , I will have to go and work out what it means, I know what the words say, but it the application I will have to learn

Oh bum, got to work and realised I've left my headphones at home so I wont be able to spend the day comparing all the mixes so far.

Knickers!

Is there anyone else looking to drop a mix in here or shall I set up the poll with what we have?

[quote name='51m0n' timestamp='1357550415' post='1924174']Is there anyone else looking to drop a mix in here or shall I set up the poll with what we have?[/quote]

I think everyone who's been posting in this thread has submitted a mix, so I'm happy for the poll to run - but equally happy to give it another week as suggested by Rob.

Flip a coin!? :)

I'll leave it another week then before attempting to turn this into a poll (and no doubt cocking it up - anyone got any advice so as not to balls it up, or is it [i]very [/i]obvIous?)

I have no problems with people submitting revisions to their mix, or even whole new second mixes if you want. Go for it, but lets say submissions in by Monday 14th, and I'll do the poll thing that evening?

Remember whatever else happens you have to be prepared to spill the beans on what you did, and how you did it or you cant 'win' that way we can all learn something :D

[quote name='51m0n' timestamp='1357561828' post='1924420']I'll leave it another week then before attempting to turn this into a poll... Remember whatever else happens you have to be prepared to spill the beans on what you did...[/quote]

No worries mate. And very happy to spill any beans! I'm a notoriously messy eater... and mixer :)

Just spent about an hour on this. Got a real "old cop show" vibe from it so I've gone down that route. Got a bit more of a "vintage" type sound to my ears. Fairly happy I suppose, quite different from every elses :lol:

Need to let my ears rest a bit now before I do any more.

Mixed in Reaper. using stock and free VST's... (along with Satson CM).

Couldnt get SPAN to work on the track or master, so I kinda winged it with the volume level. Maybe the bass is a bit heavy for my taste - but as this is a bass forum I left it as is

edit: removed old link

Edited by OldG

Here's my entry : https://soundcloud.com/thebrokensky/no-second-chance-bc-mix-comp

I'll be completely honest, not even attempted to run it through the K Meter thingy (I only use ProTools and it doesn't like VST's), it seems about the same sort of volume as the other tracks I've compared to).

Been a while since I've used Pro Tools in anger but really enjoyed getting back into it. Next time I'll have to set aside more than 2 hours for my attempt :blush:

All criticism welcomed :D

[quote name='redstriper' timestamp='1357585005' post='1924930']Can I suggest everyone allows downloads on their mix, so they can be listened to anywhere without streaming on line.[/quote]

No probs Steve! Happy to. The only reason I hadn't switched on downloads is 'cos it's not my song to share ;)

A quick word of warning: the track I've uploaded to SoundCloud is a 24 bit 96kHz wav file - it weighs in at something like 120Mb! - so you might want to avoid downloading it on a mobile device. Yeah I know... it's probably overkill using such a stupidly large file, but I've been reading up on what's best to do when uploading to SoundCloud and the consensus is generally the bigger the bitrate and resolution, the better (in terms of minimising the side-effects of being mangled by the SoundCloud player, which downsamples all in its path).

If anyone wants a low fat Mp3 copy then let me know and I'll upload one.

I think this is pretty important, people, we should all be downloading the files to do a proper comparison - well as proper as we can - without the inherent mangling of soundcloud's streaming.

If you cant be bothered that doesnt matter really, but in the interest of really trying to hear whats there it should be worth while...

192KHz, crikey, I'd need a more substantial machine for mixing to go up that high!

[quote name='redstriper' timestamp='1357585005' post='1924930']
There are some great ideas in all the mixes and the range of approaches is amazing.

Can I suggest everyone allows downloads on their mix, so they can be listened to anywhere without streaming on line.

Should my original mix be included in the competition?

Steve.
[/quote]

Yes, definitely!

[quote name='redstriper' timestamp='1357593156' post='1925133']There's no problem sharing the file anywhere, we're not precious about our music.[/quote]

Cool :) Good on ya.

[quote name='51m0n' timestamp='1357597884' post='1925277']
I think this is pretty important, people, we should all be downloading the files to do a proper comparison - well as proper as we can - without the inherent mangling of soundcloud's streaming.

192KHz, crikey, I'd need a more substantial machine for mixing to go up that high!
[/quote]

Good point about downloading, Si. The SoundCloud player is notorious for messing with things - it's not always [i]that[/i] noticeable but it does make a difference.

PS: I outputted mine at 96 not 192kHz... unless you're refering to someone else on here who's running some kind of 'Deep Thought' super computer ;)

96 would roughly half the processing I have available, and I couldnt live with that :D

I typically mix at 48KHz 24bit and havent had the sheer grunt to go higher with realistic track densities yet. I would want at least twice the horsepower available before I would consider going there...

[quote name='51m0n' timestamp='1357598433' post='1925293']I typically mix at 48KHz 24bit...[/quote]

Me too. Which has made me think that I'm probably being very thick here!?

I mix at 24/48 and then when I render the track, I select the option (in Reason) to output at 24/96. You're now going to tell me that unless I'm mixing throughout at 24/96 it's not to going to make any difference, aren't you? :blink: :lol:

Not necessarily, its a complex thing, but you certainly aren't getting what you would from something tracked at 96. Furthermore you arent giving the fx the extra fidelity (without their own upsampling) that upsampling everything to 96 outside of the DAW with sox would give either.

Depends on what did the sample conversion to a very great deal. Not all DAWs are equal in this regard, one of the best tools is sox, and another is the Voxengo tool for up/down sampling - both free. Cant remember the site with all the numbers to prove this though, do a google search for it!

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1357636488' post='1925574']
I think it's a little unrealistic to expect people to download the tracks to listen (it's optimistic enough to expect many to listen to different variations of the same track several times)
[/quote]

Really? Why? Is it so hard to click download and playback the file locally then?

This makes me sad, people have put in a lot of time and effort into these, if only for their own enjoyment and to learn from each other. The truth is though, the comparison is of the mixes, and at Soundcloud streaming rates you are hearing a pretty poor version of their efforts, whereas at full quality you will be hearing what they rendered (albeit through a different system).

I know good mixes should translate, but they tend to translate best when not hamstrung by low fidelity playback....

I'm just thinking of a convenience point of view, I'll happily download and listen to all of these through my studio monitors as well as my in-ears and over-ear headphones, but not everyone will have the time to do the same, I've also listened to all the tracks streamed to my phone with no headphones to see how they translate there. However even on the composition competition (where every track is different) we're not getting THAT many votes a month because people don't have the time to listen through them all.