Why become a member? ×

Mixing Competition/Learning Resource - January POLL ADDED!

51m0n

I dont really get plug in GAS.....

I dont buy plug ins at all though, I've found nothing thats on sale that I cant do something simialr with with the stuff I've legitamtely got for free, so why waste my money (especially for shiny graphics, no one listens to an album and sees the plug ins, they hear the efffect they have, so thats what I always have to remind myself to concentrate on - so easy to be seduced by fancy GUIs).

Given that digital equalisation works on the same principles regardless of the vst, what is it about those two waves EQs that gets you so excited Charic?

The both have frequency analyzers built in which I used to find bloody useful in logic (it's pretty much the only thing I miss) and don't have in protools. I have a frequency analyzer in protools but it runs seperate to the EQ and is a bit of a PITA to run.

The graphic interests me a bit more out of the two though (although it will probably be pretty damn pricey)

Ok.

I tend to strap a copy of Voxengo's SPAN across the 2 buss and use that whenever I need more frequency spectrum info and am looking at a specific track or two and need that help (Reaper's eq has a similar interface though, in that it shows the output underneath the EQ curve on the graph which is very useful smetimes.

I also found a couple of very neat oscilloscopes which can take multichannel inputs - awesome for setting up ducking compressors, or release times and pumping effects! Cant remember what they are called now, but if you do a search you'll find what I am talking about I'm sure.

Why have I only just found this thread?! Great stuff everyone, I'm going to go back and read all of the amazing stuff you've written about how you've gotten to your mixes.

I voted for Skol's. Out of them all, it fit itself into the right sound space for me. It was there, in front of you, with the right things going on at the sides. One of the defining parts of the track for me was when the guitars came in at 35 seconds in. This needed something special happening to the sound of them and Paul got it spot on. Nice one :)

[quote name='51m0n' timestamp='1359562373' post='1956709']
Ok.

I tend to strap a copy of Voxengo's SPAN across the 2 buss and use that whenever I need more frequency spectrum info and am looking at a specific track or two and need that help (Reaper's eq has a similar interface though, in that it shows the output underneath the EQ curve on the graph which is very useful smetimes.

I also found a couple of very neat oscilloscopes which can take multichannel inputs - awesome for setting up ducking compressors, or release times and pumping effects! Cant remember what they are called now, but if you do a search you'll find what I am talking about I'm sure.
[/quote]

Fair enough, the only other problem with protools is you can't use VSTs :lol:

[quote name='Mornats' timestamp='1359563197' post='1956720']Why have I only just found this thread?! Great stuff everyone, I'm going to go back and read all of the amazing stuff you've written about how you've gotten to your mixes. I voted for Skol's. Out of them all, it fit itself into the right sound space for me. It was there, in front of you, with the right things going on at the sides. One of the defining parts of the track for me was when the guitars came in at 35 seconds in. This needed something special happening to the sound of them and Paul got it spot on. Nice one :)[/quote]
Thanks Paul! Really appreciate the kind words and glad you liked it :)

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1359566768' post='1956792']Fair enough, the only other problem with protools is you can't use VSTs :lol:[/quote]
Well I never knew that! Very surprised that Pro Tools doesn't use VSTs, especially with it being the 'industry standard' studio DAW (sort of).