Why become a member? ×

Guitarists are dorks.

Mr Fretbuzz

Aw, dont give MrF a hard time guys. Its a bit bewildering being in a band for the first time, as I am finding out!! I just wish our guitarist could tell me what key he is playing in at all :-)
But I am finding that having to work it out for myself is really improving my 'ear' which can't be bad:-)

Having been both a guitarist and bassist in many different bands, I try to be even handed these days. You may have many different instruments and players of said instruments in your band, but at the end of the day there are only two kinds of people. People you can get along with and make music with, and people who drive you f*cking crazy.

[quote name='Wil' timestamp='1352741362' post='1866860']
Having been both a guitarist and bassist in many different bands, I try to be even handed these days. You may have many different instruments and players of said instruments in your band, but at the end of the day there are only two kinds of people. People you can get along with and make music with, and people who drive you f*cking crazy.
[/quote]

thats pretty much it

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1352741280' post='1866858']
Aw, dont give MrF a hard time guys. Its a bit bewildering being in a band for the first time, as I am finding out!!
[/quote]

+1 to this.

Changing keys is a great way to improve your skills, so see it as a blessing in disguise :P

I remember one of my first band rehearsals.... I'd been given the setlist.... Keys as original unless specified.... Got to one song that had been changed from F to G.... Hadn't been told... Started playing in F, thought "hang on a minute", realised it was in G and spent the rest of the song stumbling through transposing on the hoof :lol:

All good fun :D

Just relax, enjoy and take it as it comes ;)

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1352741280' post='1866858']
Aw, dont give MrF a hard time guys. Its a bit bewildering being in a band for the first time, as I am finding out!! I just wish our guitarist could tell me what key he is playing in at all :-)
But I am finding that having to work it out for myself is really improving my 'ear' which can't be bad:-)
[/quote]

+1 to this .
Everybody was a novice at some stage in their musical journey .

[quote name='rOB' timestamp='1352755558' post='1867149']
Can't help but feel that a some songs in the same key will make it easier to segue between songs at gigs. Less stop time on stage means less time for people to stop dancing.
[/quote]

Yeah we quite often look for this, as well as finding songs that we can mix in together.

Some players are dorks, some are inexperienced and some just have the social graces of a…. person with no social graces. That's life, IME.

Green Onions is only 7 notes so I'm not sure why transposing it is a problem, or why you need tab! The guitarist might be lazy or inept if he can only play this in E, or maybe he’s struggling with his inexperience as well. Some people cover up their inadequacies by trying to take charge.

Open strings ringing is your problem not his.

I've been in bands for decades and I can tell you that you will run into players like this at every age and level of experience. Just keep learning and improving yourself and look out for better players. They are out there.
[font=Arial][size=2] [/size][/font]