Why become a member? ×

Danelectro Longhorn. How get a good one?

BassTractor

Noob question:
I've wanted a Longhorn ever since Rinus Gerritsen in Golden Earring built himself a double neck version.
Also, I've read about the signature sound from playing close to the bridge with a pick, and my imagination tells me I probably remember that sound, and will probably love it.

However, I also read that many a Danelectro isn't good, but I only want a good one.

So, does anyone here know what often is wrong with them?
If I order one locally, can I find out about this myself? What do I look and listen for?
Or: Is there any seller on the web that sells only the good ones and sends the rest back? I have no trouble paying more for that kind of service.

Thanks!

best,
bert

Edited by BassTractor

Sorry, I couldn't resist. On a serious note, the main concerns of Danelectro players are it's fragility and intonation - the hardware is the chief cause of problems. I love the tone myself and have been tempted in the past, primarily because Jack Bruce played one, and I also love the way I play on a shortscale/flatwound bass. If the above issues concern you, I'd point you in the direction of trying to pick up a Lakland Jerry Scheff (they are discontinued but I have seen them changing hands still). There was a Danelectro Longhorn in Silver/Greyburst for sale on BC recently, very pretty indeed!

Edited by Schnozzalee

Thanks very much, Schnozzalee!
Of course you couldn't resist! I wouldn't have couldn't not neither. Er ... either... er ...
It took me some time before I got it though. Alien foreigner and that kinda thing.

Anyway, thanks for the info.
Hardware doesn't scare me. Only necks scare me, as I can't just pull a new one with the same type of capacities out of my chain saw.
Fragility doesn't scare me either. I can well live with using it in controlled environments only, and always transport it in a case - if that is enough for it to survive.

Hm. I might take a punt!

thanko mucho,
bert

If you want a really good Longhorn bass it might be worth tracking down a second hand [url="http://www.jerryjonesguitars.com/longhorn-bass4.html"]Jerry Jones[/url]. They aren't being made anymore, but they do turn up for sale from time to time. I'd check the basses for sale forum on TalkBass.

Edited by BigRedX

I've got one and can put your fears to rest. They're great and they all appear to be the same. The bridge and machines are a bit crude but that's how they were made at the time. Mine's not fragile at all, even though it's incredibly light and the sound is fantastic and if you play Radar Love, well, it's just right isn't it.

No problem with intonation either and I've converted mine to left handed and still no problem with intonation.

They're pretty cheap so why not get one, you won't be disappointed.

Edited by bertbass

I had one for a while, loved the tone, but ultimately didn't get along with the shape and balance when playing it standing up. I would get another one if I was recording certain things...

Don't underestimate the brightness and clarity of the pickups, they overdrive beautifully IMO

Relax a little, guys! I will take a punt, but really must wait til I have sold more stuff. Wife's sold already, but am having trouble with getting rid of the kids and the Volvo. :lol:

Thanks for the input! I'm sure to buy one as soon as I have the dough. As Bert indicated, they're really cheap. Also, I love rolled oats...

best,
bert