Why become a member? ×

Aches and pains of being a bass player

BassYerbouti

Definitely give the Alexander Technique a go. I had to stop playing for around 10 years due to severe tendonitis in my left hand. I tried everything, physio, yoga (which actually made it worse and effed up my knees!) but the only thing that worked was AT. Not only did it work but it totally improved my whole approach to playing and practising. My teacher is 74 years old but she's still running around like a lunatic and travels all over the world to do workshops. She also runs a teacher training course where I trained to become a teacher, although I don't actually do any teaching at the moment cos I'm too busy playing gigs!

I'm over 50 but haven't had problems so far. But that's no doubt because I've been playing less than 2 years. It's probably not so much to do with how old you are per se, but how much you have punished your body through bass playing (or just life in general!)

I'm really keen to avoid developing problems in future so I always warm up my hands and shoulders before practising and rehearsing. I just do a few warms ups and stretches that I learned from dancing and at the gym. I don't know if that's helping but I haven't had any hand problems so far.

I've also been taking cod liver oil and glucosamine although I'm a bit sceptical as to whether it works or not.

I also have a wide padded strap. I do stand up at rehearsals though, but that is because being new to all this I need to practice standing up as well as sitting down. I'll practice something sitting down and then when I stand up it all feels different, so I need to make sure I can do it in both positions! I had to rehearse sitting down last week though because I forgot my strap :o

All of the above. Sit, wider strap and lighter bass. Until I got a singelcut bass I don't reckon I'd ever had a bass that balanced properly. Paul @ 13 Guitar makes a mean bass which, light and resonant. The light weight Hipshot tuners can take mass out of the headstock end and relieve your left hand. Try plenty of necks and find one that suits your hand. Ibanez SRs are really friendly. Make sure the bass is well set up with low action. Unless you've played a bass with a really well set up neck you don't know what you're missing. Played a friends Overwater which was a revelation, never realised fretting could be that easy. Last note would be to warm up and cool down. John Myung is the only guy I've heard of who religiously does both. Makes 3 hour sets on a 6 string easier I guess! All the best.

Edited by Gorbyrev

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1352397805' post='1862590']
I'm over 50 but haven't had problems so far. But that's no doubt because I've been playing less than 2 years.
[/quote]

Love the idea of a 50 year old lady taking up the bass. I know, sexist, ageist and all that but it's pretty unusual!

What was the motive, needed bass for a play?

I injured my back doing some lifting at work many years ago and am a little bit careful about what I do. I've never really suffered just from playing though, it is hauling other gear into venues that is more likely to cause me problems. I know there are (generally expensive) quality lightweight rigs now available but I'm usually in bands that carry their own PA and I'm not one to just stand there doing nothing when there are monitors, PA cabs and bass bins to be shifted. This is by far the most likely way I'm going to do my back than manoevering my own backline in and out of venues.

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1352415593' post='1862911']

Love the idea of a 50 year old lady taking up the bass. I know, sexist, ageist and all that but it's pretty unusual!

What was the motive, needed bass for a play?
[/quote]

Long story but I dont mind telling it again. The Ex was a muso and when he moved out he left a bass behind. So I thought 'I'm not going to sit round moping I 'm going to pick up that thing and bloody well learn to play it'.
So I booked myself some lessons and was hooked from day one!

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1352488975' post='1863848']
Long story but I dont mind telling it again. The Ex was a muso and when he moved out he left a bass behind. So I thought 'I'm not going to sit round moping I 'm going to pick up that thing and bloody well learn to play it'.
[/quote]

Great story! The worm turns; be funny if he turns up at one of your gigs!

[quote name='fatback' timestamp='1352324932' post='1861817']
On the other hand, there's this:

[url="http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/releases/5868.php"]http://www.medicalne...leases/5868.php[/url]
[/quote]

Providing your not over the Vitamin UI threshold. I wasn't saying don't take them, I was saying watch you don't OD on Vitamin A and D if you also take multivitamins.
It'll make your joints hurt so bad you'll think you already have arthritis, not to mention it reduces bone density.

Edited by Kongo

[/quote]

Damn you! That was the short version! :P

best,
bert

I have a different set of aches and pains as I have plantaar fasciitis in my feet. Standing up playing DB for 3 hours is not helping it and I shall be returning to the Doc ASAP.

I also need to face up to being a couple of stone over weight and although v busy and always on the go, I live a fairly sedentary life. I think the aches and pains are starting to push my good intentions towards action.

• 3 weeks later...

I've had similar problems and found my local osteopath (who also practices acupuncture) to be the answer. Now I'm 45 I just don't recover like I used to, so a bit of extra help has meant being able to manage long gigs (we did 2.5 hours a couple of weeks ago) without any problems. Mostly it's posture (as everyone else has pointed out), as one bit has to over compensate for the position of one or the other arms etc. That and drink plenty of water (dull and not very rock and roll) but it helps.

[/quote]

:)

[quote name='BassYerbouti' timestamp='1352214430' post='1860213']
....Our band only gigs three times a year but boy do we like to practice.....
[/quote]

Usually you'll gig for about 1 1/2 hours and rehearse for 3-4 hours. So rehearsals will always be more of a problem.

I'm sure this has all been covered in the preceding posts, but, get a lighter bass. A good Pbass can weigh less than 8 lbs. Get lighter gear, 6 lbs for an amp and 30 lbs per cab are doable even with a bad back. Get a trolley. Sit down when rehearsing.

All other aches and pains are probably down to posture. That’s easy to fix.

ps Keep active and maintain your joint and muscle strength.

Edited by chris_b