Why become a member? ×

Two 1x12 or One 2x12

jonunders

[quote name='andyjingram' timestamp='1352199258' post='1859880']

So would anyone notice the difference between 300 and 500 watts through identical cabs? With the way the human ear works, the answer remains, probably not.

[/quote]If the cabs are actually capable of handling 500 watts without exceeding the driver displacement limit the 2dB difference would be audible, though just. But what remains is the question as to whether the drivers can handle 250w each before exceeding xmax, and most twelves cannot. The displacement limited power handling of a speaker is one of the most important specs, if not the most important for bass cabs, yet one universally ignored by manufacuturers.

Yup, as others have pointed out, the 2 cab route is normally more expensive. It weighs more.

It's also likely to be slightly bigger as a package so, depending on your transport, may or may not be easier to transport.

I went the single 2x12 route as it minimised the number of boxes and therefore trips. I always take a folding trolley and so the overall weight is not a huge issue as long as I can comfortably lift it into the boot by myself (which I couldn't with my old Trace 4x10 combo but can easily with my GenzBenz NEOX212T)

And, in the end, there weren't enough gigs where taking a single 12 would satisfy, so I went for the non-modular route to stop the temptation to compromise. Though I do have a pokey 10 cab which takes me to that extreme where I really don't need the kick, but do need portability.

Ultimately, look at which factors matter the most to you. Listen to the alternatives. And then just buy and enjoy!

[quote name='andyjingram' timestamp='1352215142' post='1860224']I'm fishing for replies here, but what I'm taking from this thread is that the main concerns are portablility. A larger body of air behind the speakers will of course affect the depth of the lows, but no-one has suggested so far that two smaller cabs will have a detrimental effect on the sound in an average setting (4x15" dub players notwithstanding). Right enough?[/quote]

A larger volume of air behind each woofer will affect the bass response. But if you have a a 2x12" with 100 litre internal volume and 40Hz tuning and two 1x12"s with 50 litre internal volume each and 40Hz tuning, with the same woofers in both, the response will be the same as in the 2x12" each woofer only perceives halve the internal volume. The same would be true with a 200 litre 4x12" etc as each woofer only sees a quarter of the internal volume.

Edited by alexclaber

[quote name='andyjingram' timestamp='1352215142' post='1860224']
....no-one has suggested so far that two smaller cabs will have a detrimental effect on the sound in an average setting....
[/quote]

The trap most bass players fall into is that they listen with their eyes. The [i]big is best[/i] mantra is so ingrained that the first hurdle these days is to [i]believe[/i] that a small cab can make a great sound and be loud enough.

Some 112 cabs won't be up to the job but there are plenty that are. For anything louder than a quiet gig I would always use 2 112 cabs. My Bergantios are powerful enough together to cover all but the loudest bands, they sound great and they only weigh 30 lbs each.

Thanks to good modern cab and speaker design, unless you're in a heavy metal band, there really is no downside to using good 112 cabs.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1352281644' post='1860964']
The trap most bass players fall into is that they listen with their eyes. The [i]big is best[/i] mantra is so ingrained that the first hurdle these days is to [i]believe[/i] that a small cab can make a great sound and be loud enough.

Some 112 cabs won't be up to the job but there are plenty that are. For anything louder than a quiet gig I would always use 2 112 cabs. My Bergantios are powerful enough together to cover all but the loudest bands, they sound great and they only weigh 30 lbs each.

Thanks to good modern cab and speaker design, unless you're in a heavy metal band, there really is no downside to using good 112 cabs.
[/quote]

+1

Id probably even say that you may even be able to use them in a heavy metal band also as the bass usually has more of a mid thaing & not so much low end (not always though). :)

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1352291887' post='1861107']
+1

Id probably even say that you may even be able to use them in a heavy metal band also as the bass usually has more of a mid thaing & not so much low end (not always though). :)
[/quote]

Would look sh*te on stage though

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1352281644' post='1860964']

[/quote]

+1. I`ve been truly amazed at the depth of sound, plus the amount of volume that my Markbass 1x12 combo & 1x12 ext cab puts out. And I did previously come from the "a 410 is only just enough, a 410 & 210 is about right" camp. Not any more though. I expected to lose something from the sound when I bought these - weight/portablity being the over-riding factors - but not at all, no looss anywhere in the sound for my needs.

[quote name='krysh' timestamp='1352111726' post='1858720']
two 1x12":
plus: weight, flexibility
minus: can't see

one 2x12":
minus: weight, unflexibility
plus: can't see
[/quote]

Alternatively:

2 112s weighs more total and if you ever need more volume you'll need to start again with cabs (assuming they're 8Ohm and your head only goes to 4Ohm) thus providing less flexibility.

1 212 is 1 trip to the car and gives you the option of taking another cab.