Why become a member? ×

SVT410HLF vs. Barefaced S12

jackers

Hey all,

To mark my return to the forum, here is a stupid question :P

I've been without a bass cab for the last few months, and I'm getting the desire to get a new one. I've narrowed down my options to the Ampeg SVT410-HLF and the Barefaced S12. I am aware that each has their pros and cons; the ampeg is cheaper, but weighs almost as much as my house :P (which won't help my dodgy arms or bad back), and the barefaced is nice and light, very highly recommended on here, but is more expensive.

I'm after an ampeg-esque kind of sound, so the ampeg would be a safe choice, but the weight of the barefaced and the glowing reviews on this site also make me think the barefaced would be good.

I'm after some opinions from people on here :)

Cheers guys! :D

Although I`ve not used a Barefaced S12, I did have a Compact & Midget, and my lasting impressions of these are they put out exactly what you put in, with very little colouration of sound. So if your amp won`t do an Ampeg type tone, the S12 (if ike the rest of the BF range) won`t help achieve one, whereas the HLF will to a certain extent. But, if your amp can get Ampeg type tones, it will push them out very nicely through the S12.

Cheers guys,

probably should have mentioned that the head I'm using is a Tech 21 Landmark, which I have set to their 'SVT' setting, giving a very nice driven ampeg tone. Having tried other SVT cabs I know it will sound really nice, but thinking about lifting 40kg makes me cry :P

[quote name='jackers' timestamp='1351960189' post='1857319']
Cheers guys,

probably should have mentioned that the head I'm using is a Tech 21 Landmark, which I have set to their 'SVT' setting, giving a very nice driven ampeg tone. Having tried other SVT cabs I know it will sound really nice, but thinking about lifting 40kg makes me cry :P
[/quote]

Isn't the HLF a ported, scooped sounding cab? I've never played through one but I've heard descriptions saying it's not a typical SVT sound. I suspect the S12 will give you more flexibility both in transportation and tone - while the HLF will have a more traditional coloured effect - which may be perfect but may not, I really wouldn't know.

[quote name='PlungerModerno' timestamp='1351960951' post='1857327']
Isn't the HLF a ported, scooped sounding cab? I've never played through one but I've heard descriptions saying it's not a typical SVT sound. I suspect the S12 will give you more flexibility both in transportation and tone - while the HLF will have a more traditional coloured effect - which may be perfect but may not, I really wouldn't know.
[/quote]

Yeah, the HLF is not really a half-sized version of the 8x10. Its a hugely deep, heavy ported cab. I'm not sure that it is scooped so much that it is really bottom heavy. It throws out loads of low end and I often have to do a bit of work to actually tame the sub frequencies.

I think there are better, lighter cabs on the market, but Ampeg still has that element of cool, despite its limitations.

[quote name='thodrik' timestamp='1351961515' post='1857335']
Yeah, the HLF is not really a half-sized version of the 8x10. Its a hugely deep, heavy ported cab. I'm not sure that it is scooped so much that it is really bottom heavy. It throws out loads of low end and I often have to do a bit of work to actually tame the sub frequencies.

I think there are better, lighter cabs on the market, but Ampeg still has that element of cool, despite its limitations.
[/quote]

Maybe I'm getting mixed between the Hartke Hydrives . . . all the feedback I can find seems positive, but everyone is agreeing on the huge lows, so it's not a sealed ampeg tone. My recommendation is try it out, as some reviews are saying it needs lots of watts and/or unpreditable issues with some heads. Like the SVT 3 pro, and the barefaced saga :unsure: ...

Not an Ampeg fan, really, and the their 410'a are pretty basic..but they do that sound well enough.

To me, it is money against weight in your 2 choices.
The Ampeg should be pretty mobile on its wheels.

Very popular round here and all the guys sound decent with them.. but you get what you would expect, nothing too fancy.

[quote name='jackers' timestamp='1351962486' post='1857359']
ah ok, I didn't know that. Is the HE closer to the half-sized idea of an 8x10? the main reason I didn't consider that as an option was the fact that it is 8 ohms, and my landmark is only 300W, so I want as much power from it as possible.
[/quote]

Perhaps - I wouldn't write the HLF off outright - but the weight would be overkill for both of them if it were me.
Like every time someone mentions looking at 410 cabs I'll suggest considering 2 210 cabs - similar performance, much easier going up stairs.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1351963003' post='1857374']
The Ampeg should be pretty mobile on its wheels.
[/quote]

Try getting it down a flight of stairs by yourself when your drummer and guitarist are 'busy'!

Seriously, though, wheels make a huge difference.

I moved from an Ampeg SVTIII Pro & 410HLF to a BFS12 with the SVT - the amp in a rack with wireless rack was heavier than the cab!
Didn't get on with the SVT/S12 combination so got an OTB500 and can honestly say it's the best sound I could ever hope for.

The HLF is thunderous in the low/low mids - so much so I was rolling everything back and could never nail the 'sweet spot'.
When I got the S12 I thought I'd have to bump the lows up again but, no, the S12 threw out as much low end (and better controlled) as the HLF with all the mid drive, which, IMHO, the HLF couldn't do - it was too wooly and the tweeter only made the scooping sound worse.

I didn't even try an OTB until I got it - just took onboard all the reviews on here and went for it. I got a sound in minutes and I've not deviated much from that 1st five minute set up - the SVT had so much scope I was always fiddling with it and never really happy.

I am now! And I can carry everything in one trip - amp/cab/bass/gig bag.

I can't see me changing my rig [s]for a very long time[/s] [b]EVER![/b]

Edited by grunge666

[quote name='grunge666' timestamp='1352221266' post='1860359']
There's no such thing as an antidote! :gas:
[/quote]

It's like a vampire in Terry Pratchetts novel 'Monstrous Regiment' - They gave up blood and became extremely addicted to coffee.
With my compact I am very happy - now my GAS has moved onto compression and other effects, and bass mods/upgrades.
It never goes away entirely, or stays dormant for long! :yarr: