Why become a member? ×

Barefaced Compact VS B stock speaker in dodgy Ashdown Combo.

gjones

Recently I had no alternative but to sell my barefaced compact to help me pay for major car repairs. This of course left me with a bit of a conundrum - I had a working car to get me to the gigs but I didn't have a cabinet to put my bass through when I got there. I had to come up with a plan .....and quick.
A quick trawl through basschat and ebay didn't come up with any decent cabs that didn't weigh a ton and I could afford and, frankly, it left me a bit disheartened. But what I did find, on ebay, was a B stock 450 watt 4 ohm eminence kappa 15" going from blue aran for £40. Now I still had my old knackered, UK built, Ashdown EB 150, which had been used and abused and still had the original 200w driver in it. But there was no way I could put my 500 watt MiBass amp through that without destroying the speaker. But £40 for a 450 watt eminence driver was too much of bargain to turn down. So I went ahead and bought it and it arrived next day (excellent service from blue aran by the way).
I fitted it to the ashdown combo and I also fitted a speakon socket to the back of the cab. I was a bit worried that the speaker wouldn't complement the cab dimensions and ports etc as it was a lot more powerful (and 100% heavier) than the old speaker. But I took it out to a gig last night and I was flabbergasted at how great it sounded. It was loud and deep and punchy and when I got a friend to play bass on a couple of tunes with the band it sounded even better out front. Result!!!!
Now the barefaced compact I had was a great cab but it just goes to show that you don't have to pay silly money to get a great sounding rig. The kappa speaker I bought doesn't do the high frequency thing like the barefaced kappalite did but since I don't slap or pop it's not something I really miss. What I want is loud and deep and punchy and the Kappa does this in spades.

Edited by gjones

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1351272339' post='1849607']
ok..if it works, then fine.... but you are only asking the speaker to do one thing...and it does it to your criteria.

My feeling is that a cab that goes to 3.5khz or so is pretty much unusable but I am glad you have your solution.
[/quote]

I'm the kinda guy who likes the treble turned down on my hi fi.

The kappa 15 is a fantastic speaker - really powerful, sensitive and has a low mid that seems to make basses growl! It doesn't have a lot of top end, so isn't really suited to plinky-plonky stuff, but it is quite surprising how high it does go. I really would quite like a couple of 8 ohm kappas for my ashdown rig.

Orange use the kappa 15 in their cab, and I think it's one of the nicest sounding cabs money can buy.

Keep in mind the compact isn't a full range cab either!
With my GK head I find myself rolling my tone control down and still cutting a fair bit of treble most of the time (centred at 10kHz but helps roll off the harshness above 3 kHz nicely)

No prizes for guessing which cab is lighter . . . but for the dosh it sounds great. If the EB150 cab already has adaquete bracing and dampening that's great - if not I'd recommend considering further mods to make it even better. Same with the ports (esp if they're tuned very high or low - a complete guess but I'd say they aren't).

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1351279183' post='1849731']

I'm the kinda guy who likes the treble turned down on my hi fi.
[/quote]

I'm like you mate :)

Regards rig eq settings I never switch the tweeter on and roll off all the treble, a kappa 15 would suit me fine :). Great result for you mate.