Why become a member? ×

Flight Cases

Si600

I'm going to start this here, but if it's thought that it should be in the Gear section then please will a mod move it.

I'm looking at flight cases, for no better reason than I can and I want to make one for my pedal board. I'm also considering getting one for my amp when I actually get one that I can case up.

My real question is, ply/hex board or ABS cases? I personally prefer the old skool black box with silver edges look and think the ABS ones just look plain fugly, but I'm prepared to overlook that if they are better than a solid wood case. Also, shockmount or not?

Discuss :P

Edited by Si600

I also prefer the look of a metal-edged flight case, although I have a mix of uncased, plastic-cased and flight-cased gear.

You may want to consider that 'proper' flight cases look indestructible because, broadly, they are. What this means is that anything coming into contact with them generally comes off worse. That's fine in a professional/industrial environment where rough handling is the norm, but when they have to mix with a domestic environment then it can be the domestic environment that comes off worse.

We have a relatively narrow entrance hall and the walls are full of 'dings' where I've carried flight-cases into the house after a gig. In contrast, gear that is in a plastic case doesn't damage the walls or door when it bangs into them, perhaps just leaving an easily cleaned-off scuff mark.

I also had a flightcase move in the back of my estate car when rounding a corner. It didn't seem to move much but it smashed the rear side window with ease!

On the plus side, all my flight-cased stuff is in excellent condition. :lol:

For a one or two pre-amp valves it's not a necessity IMO. Remember that the extra space required for the shock mounts will add at least an inch all round to the size of the case. Also the "traditional" type cases are not always as well ventilated for airflow as some of the better designed plastic ones (especially for amps with side vents). Unless your amp is all valve I would say you can't do any better for protection than one of the Boschma rack cases.

You don't need super rugged cases unless you're using teams of roadies and humpers.

It looks like you're not in that environment, yet.

I'd get a professionally built case (SKB, Gator etc) for your pedal board and amp and good covers for your cabs.

ps if you buy a pedal board like Pedaltrain, they will come with their own bag/case.

Edited by chris_b

[attachment=122013:IMG_1553.jpg][attachment=122014:IMG_1556.jpg]

I made my own 'case' for an Amp I just bought. I looked at 'proper' flight cases, and decided to make my own. Its an MDF case with softwood edging and braces. I covered it in Carbon printed vinyl and edged it with aluminium corner strip. It does the job, its probably not as strong as an ABS one but looks good and gives me something to put the mixer on............. and I enjoyed making it.

Jas

E&L Insurance insisted I have a full flight for my custom bass. I remember it cost £247 from The Warehouse in Leith, Edinburgh, it's taken a lot of knocks but still has nothing more than a few scuffs.
As has been said they're as cumbersome as hell so I didn't consider it for my valve head; that's in an SKB trolley case which I had to get from Thomann because SKB had been dropped by their UK distributor at the time.
Now that there's stacks of online sellers of flightcase kit it would be fun to build your own, though the rivet gun & spray glue guns (how essential???) would be a high initial outlay, get good at it & it's another cottage industry of your very own.

• 10 months later...

I've always considered good protection a must. What's the point in spending a fortune on gear to have it protected by some flimsy inferior which after one drop or knock, breaks.

I've just got hold of a Pedaltain Junior with Hard Case and blimey, this case is hardcore.... Heavy, but good strong and sturdy....

I've always been tempted to build my own but by the time you cost the bits needed, there's not much in it. It'll be a custom fit though and to your exact requirements.

Yep I've acquired a good few black marks on the walls which don't seem to scrub off (repaint likely I think) or chunks taken out the edge of doors. However I limit which items I have properly flight cased. My combo and extension cab seem robust enough to not need it so its mainly basses. I like hard casses for my basses as it gives me more confidence to pile in other things on top of them with no worries. I had a flight case made for me for my PK5 pedals and that was done by [url="http://www.flightcasewarehouse.co.uk/index.asp"]Flightcase Warehouse [/url]and a sterling job they did too, at the time you simply couldnt get cases off the shelf for them and that might still be the case, not sure. All my little bits, power brick, leads etc are in a [url="http://www.maplin.co.uk/flight-case-with-foam-36796"]Maplins camera/tool case [/url]which last ages if you don't overfill them and strain the latches. Buy them when they are in the half price sale.

Edited by KevB

I had a flightcase from Flightcase Warehouse for a Jazz bass...certainly strong but heavy enough to make me think twice about using it too often. I let it go when I sold the bass, currently just use the standard Fender cases, light, strong enough for the places I take them, and effectively free as they came with the basses.