Why become a member? ×

Tiny Mooer effects - discount code

Ancient Mariner

[quote name='BigBeatNut' timestamp='1352311142' post='1861488']
Somebody on TB opened up one of the analog pedals and talked about modding. In particular, changing a resistor value. He concluded that because they're all tiny (SMD ?) components, modding would be pretty difficult. I would guess the same applies to the digital pedals. (Not sure which delay you mean, I think there are 4 now).
[/quote]

I read this about SMDs all the time but the electrical engineers at my last work used to regularly mod pcbs etc with surface mount components without too much hassle. You just need the right tools and a steady hand!

I've had a massive 30mins so far to try them out. I bought the Pure Boost, Green Mile and Blade distortion. I haven't ran them in the loop of my LS-2 yet, but i initial testing suggests that the Pure Boost will stay and the Green Mile for subtle drive. The jury is out on the Blade at the moment unitl I have put it in to my pedal board signal path.

It's difficult buying pedals having not been able to test them first - certainly a leap of faith really. Any pedal that isn't specifically 'my thing', i will offer up on BC for sale with the same huge discount I got.

If neither distortion works out, then I will get a micro blender for my current distortion then sell my LS-2 as well.

Thanks Dood. I'm tempted by the green mile for guitar use - it seems to be a nice soft grainy overdrive, rather than a sharp-edged and crunchy one - and I'd also like the black secret Rat clone.

I took the chorus along to a music practice tonight (come back to find it has finally sold this evening) and it actually sounded pretty good in a big environment with more volume. I'll shortly order an elec lady & trelicopter and am debating a compressor and one of the above drive pedals.

I also want a couple of Joyo Tech 21-style preamp pedals for recording direct, probably the American and California. There aren't many pedals that will do the early Boogie style tone like *some* clips of the california have managed. The American can do a nice clean Fenderesque amp tone. There's quite a few clips of these pedals but many of them sound muddy and messy because they're being used as simpe, dirt pedals instead of preamps.

Gareth, I've found that the 12 o'clock setting for the tone controls doesn't appear to be exactly flat. But a small turn clockwise adds boost very quickly! I set mine with the gain control at zero then used the volume control as my boost. I have been able to clip the pedal with my active EMG pups (which are already very hot) in this setting. Winding the gain control up and the volume down, I was able to distort the pedal gently, but I have to say, it wasn't a nice crunch, more of a 'bass valve drive'. Headroom, there appears to be a softening, a bit like a sovtek preamp valve when you get close to the pedal limits, but actually that's quite nice. I like the frequency centres for the two tone controls, though I'm not sure what they are. I'd take a punt on a shelving bass control of around 100Hz and maybe around 4Khz for the treble. A guess mind!!! I'd happily use this pedal as an outboard preamp for a passive bass. Yeah, I like it. Possibly keeping this one. Less sure about the Blade though. I think I should have thried the Rage pedal. The green Mile *will* need running with my rig to make a decision on that too. The Boss Metal Zone is still a keeper at the moment.

[quote name='Ancient Mariner' timestamp='1352846141' post='1868466']
Thanks Dood. I'm tempted by the green mile for guitar use - it seems to be a nice soft grainy overdrive, rather than a sharp-edged and crunchy one - and I'd also like the black secret Rat clone.

I took the chorus along to a music practice tonight (come back to find it has finally sold this evening) and it actually sounded pretty good in a big environment with more volume. I'll shortly order an elec lady & trelicopter and am debating a compressor and one of the above drive pedals.

I also want a couple of Joyo Tech 21-style preamp pedals for recording direct, probably the American and California. There aren't many pedals that will do the early Boogie style tone like *some* clips of the california have managed. The American can do a nice clean Fenderesque amp tone. There's quite a few clips of these pedals but many of them sound muddy and messy because they're being used as simpe, dirt pedals instead of preamps.
[/quote]

I have to say, I was hoping for a wee bit more gain out of the Green Mile. It's really nice and I think that it's intended use of driving the front end of a guitar amp (especially with valves) it will do a great job. Standalone for me on bass, it *could* be a little tame for my needs, but as I say, that will depend on further testing! - Tonally though, It's nice :)

[quote name='Ancient Mariner' timestamp='1352900792' post='1869052']
Thanks Dood. In all the clips, the Green Mile sounds very tame and soft to me, although that's not necessarily bad if you want gentle dirt.
[/quote]

Just about to run it on my pedal board this eve!

[quote name='Gareth Hughes' timestamp='1352909554' post='1869276']
Cheers for that Dood. Possibly adding that to the list of incoming Mooer's as soon as sanity disappears for the evening.
[/quote]

See above, lol!

Ok, so my 'not so technical' testing has had the following results!

Brief:
Attempt to use small form factor pedals in place of 'Boss size' to make room on my pedal board for more stuff!

I have tested:

The Pure Boost in place of my normal EQ pedal.
The Green Mile as an 'always on' option for adding mild dirt to my signal.
The Blade Distortion pedal to replace my Boss Metal Zone for 'all out distortion'.

The results are as follows:
The Pure Boost is really good. I'm not sure what the centre for the bass control is, but for adding depth, a small adjustment goes a long way. I've also seen a way of attenuating my Zoom B3 signal slightly using the PB too. So this one stays.

The Green Mile is actually brilliant and I am very tempted to keep it, but I kinda wanna try out the 'Rage' pedal now, for just a touch more drive. So, this lil puppy is going up for sale now.

The Blade Distortion is brutal, but I bought the wrong pedal. I should have gotten the 'Rage' pedal I think. As I use a loop pedal, I need to pull all the highs down whilst not affecting the lows. Gnarly noises in a small box, but this one is going up for sale with a view to getting the Rage instead.

Overall review:

Metal cases, built very well indeed I am sure they'll have a long life on any pedal board. I think the foot switches feel positive with a good solid clunk when you push them. The controls have a quality feel to them with no rubbing or need for undue force to turn. Yeah! Really like them! - I might still get that little bass EQ as well.

- If I get a micro-looper *and* the Mooer EQ, I will sell my Boss LS-2 and Bass EQ pedal.

So, off to advertise the pedals in the MarketPlace now.

EDIT: Here! http://basschat.co.uk/topic/192019-mooer-micro-pedals-green-mile-and-blade-metal-distortion-l28-each/page__pid__1869562#entry1869562

I have been after a volume boost and a mild overdrive for quite some time and eventually pulled the trigger. I got myself the green mile as the OD and after AGES debating the Pure Boost vs Flex Boost I got......the bass eq. Well, it's got a volume control and as I want to level out volume changes between basses or techniques the eq might actually be useful.

EDIT- And after reading about the exploit where it works for all pedals I've gone back for a Pure Boost (to get the discount), a £10 volume pedal, that Biyang compressor that gets great reviews and a Sansamp clone. I'm a bad man.

Edited by Jack