Why become a member? ×

Boss oc2 octaver 'jumping'

MarkG3

Got myself an oc2 today and on most of the notes it seems like the note is jumping around all over the place.........I've done some googling and people say that's a characteristic of the pedal. Is this true? Just wanted some bass chatters input :)

I've put a new battery in if that helps?

Yup, just what it does, it can be tamed though, if you use fingers near the neck with just the neck pup it should behave. It doesn't track well on long sustained notes though, and you can forget anything below open A. It's a pedal that requires a certain way of playing, but it's well worth it, run it with a gated fuzz and a filter and there's no better bass synth sound as far as I'm concerned.

[quote name='S9_S12_Bass' timestamp='1350755103' post='1843171']
Thanks! I've got it in the effects loop of my amp, octave first then the Electro harmonix bass big muff. I quickly worked out anything lower than A sounds a bit........poor..... :)
[/quote]

Try putting it in the chain between your Bass and amp,rather than in the loop. The OC2 works better with a good signal
from the bass-it still has it's glitches (which I like) but it might help a bit

Something like a moog MF-101 with an expression pedal or a Source Audio BEF with a Hot Hand (ring controller). There's quite a few options out there.

Here's 9 bassists using different filters (myself included).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTmAnGzNQxE

Any excuse to have another listen :)

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1350773977' post='1843455']
That makes sense. I think the amp's loop isn't as hot a signal as direct from the bass (not 100% positive on that though).
You do realise you now need a controllable filter? :)
[/quote]

Just tried the effects direct from the bass and it works so much better! Thanks :)

That video is actually really good I quite enjoyed it!

Edited by S9_S12_Bass

using a compressor before the OC2 does help the boss track better" but with all its warbles and glitches.. its great fun!!!!! i also agree with the others before me there is a required way of using/fingering the instrument to get the best results from the pedal but who would doubt its sound just listen to sledgehammer or tear your playhouse down.

As anyone who saw my FX talk at the SE Bash will testify, the OC-2 tracks fine down to at least a Low E. As you go below A, the time it tracks for reduces obviously, but mine all track a low E for about a second before glitching back to just the direct signal. The amount of 'glitch' you get will often depend on how buzzy your frets are, if you have even slightly buzzing, uneven frets, it stands to reason that a pedal will struggle to track that signal. The smoother and rounder the signal you put into it, the pedal will track a lot easier.
Also make sure that your octave goes at the start of your chain, it will again struggle to track a note that effected already.

Si

• 3 months later...

[quote name='Chrismanbass' timestamp='1350783247' post='1843520']
might be worth running it behind a compressor if you can just to smooth the signal a bit

(this is just my thinking i may be talking bollocks)
[/quote]

This does work. By boosting the signal, the OC can 'hear' it better :)