Why become a member? ×

Bad wrist position on fretting hand?

chrismuzz

Hey guys, girls :)

Just looking through some pictures of last night's gig, and I noticed that in a few of them my wrist on my fretting hand is very severely bent. It didn't feel uncomfortable at all during or even after we played our two hour long sets, but I was just wondering if it looks alright to you all. Am I more likely to develop problems later on? Should I work on improving it at all? Does it look less cool??? :lol:

Cheers

Edited by chrismuzz

If, as RhysP says that it was just a snapshot, and you dont permanently play with the wrist bent like this, then I'd say you are OK. If however, the bent wrist is more the norm, then IMO it would be prudent to rethink your L/H technique.

Sometimes physical injuries take years to manifest themselves, so just because it does not hurt now, does not mean that it is OK.

Granted, lots of players get away with playing with a bent wrist, but a lot experience problems.

[quote name='Bassman Sam' timestamp='1350753037' post='1843126']
You might find a more comfortable hand position if you stopped taping your setlist to the ceiling. ;)
[/quote]

Hahaha :lol: it's up there so i don't slouch!

[quote name='Coilte' timestamp='1350755239' post='1843176']
If, as RhysP says that it was just a snapshot, and you dont permanently play with the wrist bent like this, then I'd say you are OK. If however, the bent wrist is more the norm, then IMO it would be prudent to rethink your L/H technique.

Sometimes physical injuries take years to manifest themselves, so just because it does not hurt now, does not mean that it is OK.

Granted, lots of players get away with playing with a bent wrist, but a lot experience problems.
[/quote]

Interesting. My wrist is like this in probably 20% of the pictures, so I'll think about it. Thanks!

[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1350755572' post='1843187']
enquiring minds need to know if your left foot is perched up on a wedgie monitor there!! :o
[/quote]

It's actually one of the subs, it's on the floor in front of the stage but reaches about 8" above the stage, so it's kinda like a little pedestal ;)

[quote name='AntLockyer' timestamp='1350757328' post='1843228']
Was thi sjust an excuse to post an awesome picture of yourself :)
[/quote]

Haha thanks, I think! I deliberately chose this one because I thought I looked goofy, and that it would prevent questions just like that! Looks like I failed :lol:

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1350764101' post='1843326']
Unless you were only joking, to me this seems like a real problem indeed, and you should correct it.
Here's some initial help. PM me if you need more.
[/quote]

Sorry mate not actually sure what you meant by this post! :blink: :lol:

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1350765557' post='1843351']
Sorry mate not actually sure what you meant by this post![/quote]

There are some grave mistakes on yer T-shirt, spellingwise or otherwise:

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1350764101' post='1843326']
[size=4][b]M A R S H A L L -->[/b][/size]

[size=4][b]M A R K B A S S[/b][/size]
[/quote]

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1350767351' post='1843376']
There are some grave mistakes on yer T-shirt, spellingwise or otherwise:
[/quote]

Oh i gotcha haha :lol:

Nah I do have an awesome Marshall pedal on my board, and a Marshall practice amp! So as well as paying respect to the grandaddy of rock amplification, I'm also promoting a brand I actively use, and hopefully am spelling correctly ;)

I've been thinking about this recently, just as water finds the easiest route I find myself settling to the most comfortable position during long playing sessions, and this tips my bass up at the neck. I find lower body end reduces the similar wrist angle hanging over the top of the body and raising the neck end straightens my wrist there too.

So, imo, your bass position is fine. However at least for the moment the pic was taken, your left elbow is thrust forward unnecessarily. From the rest of your positioning it looks like your going through a particularly challenging section. I'd try to monitor yourself with this in mind and if this is regular for you, try to draw your elbow back to straighten your wrist.

In the end, your body is the best sign if anything is going wrong and you'll get plenty of warning of aches and pains before you cause any damage. Doesn't sound like you have much to worry about.

Yep, its a great pic!

You look a bit like you're expecting the width of a 5 or 6 string neck in your hand and only finding a 4. Considering you have a 5 and a 6 in your sig, is it possible that it's a wrist position you've developed that way?

[quote name='Ed_S' timestamp='1350797935' post='1843537']
You look a bit like you're expecting the width of a 5 or 6 string neck in your hand and only finding a 4. Considering you have a 5 and a 6 in your sig, is it possible that it's a wrist position you've developed that way?
[/quote]

Good spot dude! Yes, my main bass is a 6 and all of my home practicing is done on it :)

You are wise to consider your body while playing, after all, there's no shortage of threads around here started by people with carpal tunnel, locked shoulders etc. Our very own Endorka has written a blog on the very topic.

If you wish to gain better alignment of the wrist, may I suggest you have your bass higher ? that would place your elbow at a lower location relative to the neck, which will allow your wrist to be straighter.

Good luck with it whatever you do

[quote name='essexbasscat' timestamp='1350812698' post='1843632']
You are wise to consider your body while playing, after all, there's no shortage of threads around here started by people with carpal tunnel, locked shoulders etc. Our very own Endorka has written a blog on the very topic.

If you wish to gain better alignment of the wrist, may I suggest you have your bass higher ? that would place your elbow at a lower location relative to the neck, which will allow your wrist to be straighter.

Good luck with it whatever you do
[/quote]

Thanks man, I've been considering strap height for a while but have actually been lowering it to prevent shoulder and right hand problems! Looks like it's gonna be a trial and error, finding the balance type job... again!

Of all the things to get hung up about and with me it's bloody strap height :lol:

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1350813546' post='1843639']
Of all the things to get hung up about and with me it's bloody strap height :lol:
[/quote]

Yes, it may seem like a trivial thing to be concerned about, but over the long term it can be of the utmost importance.

It is true, that wearing the bass too high effects the R/H and too low, the L/H.

The ideal compromise is to have the main body of the bass at about belt buckle height.

[quote name='Coilte' timestamp='1350814652' post='1843653']
Yes, it may seem like a trivial thing to be concerned about, but over the long term it can be of the utmost importance.

It is true, that wearing the bass too high effects the R/H and too low, the L/H.

The ideal compromise is to have the main body of the bass at about belt buckle height.
[/quote]

Too low for me.