Why become a member? ×

Soapbar on a Jazz?

Dr M

I've got a Squier Jazz bass (the old Standard Series) and I just had a peek under the scratchplate (as you do). The route for the middle pickup is about 35mm by 98mm. This seems like a bit of a cut corner for the pickup that's sitting in that route, but it did get me wondering if there might be a soapbar that could be squeezed in there instead.

Anyone know of anything that sort of size? Or is this just an idiotic idea? :P

What about this as an alternative?

[url="http://www.fender.com/en-GB/products/super-55-split-coils-jazz-bass-pickups/"]http://www.fender.com/en-GB/products/super-55-split-coils-jazz-bass-pickups/[/url]

Or this

[url="http://www.dimarzio.com/pickups/bass/standard-bass/ultra-jazz-bridge"]http://www.dimarzio.com/pickups/bass/standard-bass/ultra-jazz-bridge[/url]

Soap bar pickups do come in various sizes of 'rectangle' but I feel sure that you can find a suitable model to install. My favourite soapbar pick up is the EMG DC. I've been using them for years. A larger casing and they are active, but EMG do a passive version too.

I really like Delano pickups and they have a great range of pick ups with many options available as well as different casing sizes. I'd certainly research all the big brands. There's plenty to choose from.

Dimarzio, Delano, EMG, Seymour Duncan, Nordstrand, Wizard, Aero, Bartolini, to name just a small selection.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1350594603' post='1841150']
Just that soapbars in Jazzes is a bad idea... :lol:
[/quote]

Ok, I wasn't necessarily thinking specifically a soapbar, that was just the first thing that came to mind. I'm not sure if there is a term for the 'like a MM humbucker but narrower' pickups - Squier VM jaguar humbucker, for example.

Although, out of interest, is there any particular reason soapbars on a Jazz are a bad idea?

sure...they look all wrong... :lol: and humbuckers sound all wrong.

The number of bass players who want a stronger more powerful sound lose sight of the tone that has just gone out of the window.
IMO... you can have too strong a signal... something which humbuckers are famous for,

I've done quite a few experiments with multiple winds and taps and and my conclusion is that if you want more volume, turn up the amp
but don't muddy up the sounds at source..ie at the pickup.
Adding is the easy part in tone...taking things away is far harder.

I've had Nordstand Big Singles (sort of soapbar) put in 3 of my basses ... two of em are jazz basses :) (still single coils) .... no regrets at all tho I'm no expert or pro but have tried different pickup types active & humbuckers etc & always come back to single coils. just my 2c

Why is it assumed that soapbars on a bass are humbuckers, when soapbars on guitars (where the name comes from originally) are very much single coil pickups?

AFAICS soapbars in a bass context covers any rectangular pickup that's wider than a J-type and has no visible pole pieces. That's pretty much anything.

Edited by BigRedX

yep.... was going to clarify this but thought I'd not muddy the waters further.

Singles, twins, triples, split coil, coil tap, double stack and humbuckers...

Humbuckers were initially designed to eliminate hum... of course.

You might be able to get anything wound in any config you like if you had the casing for it.
I found Kent Armstrong very open to doing all this as long as he had the case for it..

[quote name='Dr M' timestamp='1350595531' post='1841163']

Although, out of interest, is there any particular reason soapbars on a Jazz are a bad idea?
[/quote]

Not that I can think of , fellow medic , but the idea of 2 sigle coils twinned with 2 volume pots was a really , really good one.

If it aint broke........................

Thanks for all the advice. Looks like this might be a bit of a no-go - all the soapbars I've found / you've suggested seem to be either a couple of mm too wide, or a couple of mm too long, and I'm not really looking to re-route that space.

Would have been an interesting experiment, though. :D

[quote name='urb' timestamp='1350650146' post='1841750']
Here's mine - these are Nordy NS4s - under soapbar housings - I liked the Sadowsky vibe so I nicked it for my Sei

[/quote]

That Sei's almost too beautiful - I suppose I'll just have to suffer looking at it !

I went after one of Jon Shukers that was very much like your Sei but I was outbid , sadly.

[quote name='Dr.Dave' timestamp='1350654942' post='1841854']
That Sei's almost too beautiful - I suppose I'll just have to suffer looking at it !

I went after one of Jon Shukers that was very much like your Sei but I was outbid , sadly.
[/quote]

It is lovely - but really is a regular 'jazz' under the purdy spalted (mouldy!) maple top - I like regular J-pups too but I like the ramp thing as well so I thought why not get the same vibe on the pups as well - but this was where I got the idea from:

well, there is no doubt that MP and Sadowsky can make some very pretty basses (consistantly the best looking, IMO )...soapbars or not.

My next Sei commision will have the look of singles, and probably Barts... altho my best current vintage sound is from soapbars...(also Barts, as it happens)
yep..it is tricky...!!! :lol: