Why become a member? ×

Eden / GK / Markbass comparison

brensabre79

Yes I think the WT550 might be 'the one' for me. The last Eden designed product i had lasted me 20 years before I sold to someone on here who is now enjoying it immensely. I don't really mind where something is made, (although for the sake of our economy alone I'd prefer to buy something made in GB). What I care about is paying £600 for an amp and not having to worry about whether its going to let me down on a nightly basis, either in terms of just not working, or just not sounding how I want it to.

[quote name='BassBunny' timestamp='1350395842' post='1838218']
Probably the new micro stuff and certainly the WTDI pedal is, (as i've got one), but my WT550 was made in the US in April of last year.
You might find the GK stuff is as well.
[/quote]

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1350296718' post='1836841']
Definitely the Eden.

[/quote]

Definitely the Gallien 700 or 1001RB II :D

I've gigged the Terror Bass, Shuttle 6.0 and Gallien MB500 (in combo format) and they all seem to be lacking something but for me the full size Gallien heads can't be beat. I think the main reason there hasn't been a great deal said about these models in this thread is that most of the people who use them are doing exactly that.

They are solid, reliable and really difficult to get a bad sound from them.

Edited by Delberthot

Thanks everyone, I'm going to try and see if I can get me near an Eden - everyone seems to be out of stock of Eden stuff near me at the moment. The shop near me only has a Nemesis which has been on display for at least 2 years and they have only knocked about £50 off! If I can find someone to take my Genz as part-ex that would be great too, otherwise I'm going to have to sell it first :)

I will try the GK amps too if I can, they seem good value and coming a close second to the Eden in terms of recommendations. The picture on the Eden site of the World Tour series amp that survived a studio fire fully functional is quite something in terms of ruggedness testing - it does make me wonder why they put cheap plastic knobs on such an expensive amp though...

[quote name='brensabre79' timestamp='1350464244' post='1839098']
Thanks everyone, I'm going to try and see if I can get me near an Eden - everyone seems to be out of stock of Eden stuff near me at the moment.
[/quote]
You will struggle to find anyone with any Eden gear. Since Marshall bought the company stocks dried up whilst they sort out their distribution network. I was really lucky in getting hold of an ex-display WT550. Have to say Marshall customer service is fantastic and it might be worth a call to see when they expect some to be available.
Have a word with Sounds Unlimited, ( where I got mine), they might track one down for you.

Well I emailed Marshall and got a reply straight back! - like a minute later! Looks like a lot is changing at Eden and they are working to bring all production back to the US at the moment. Marshall are distributing in the UK, someone from sales is going to find an amp near me that I can try out...

[quote name='Delberthot' timestamp='1350458167' post='1839006']
Definitely the Gallien 700 or 1001RB II :D

I've gigged the Terror Bass, Shuttle 6.0 and Gallien MB500 (in combo format) and they all seem to be lacking something but for me the full size Gallien heads can't be beat. I think the main reason there hasn't been a great deal said about these models in this thread is that most of the people who use them are doing exactly that.

They are solid, reliable and really difficult to get a bad sound from them.
[/quote]

+1 for GK RB series. Not that long ago these heads were considered small and lightweight (c.20lbs), which I believe for the sound
you get they still are. (I'm getting on a bit and don't mind carrying them around!) Had a LM2 and just could n't get on with it.
Don't think I'll ever go back to a micro head.

[quote name='casapete' timestamp='1350491352' post='1839649']
+1 for GK RB series. Not that long ago these heads were considered small and lightweight (c.20lbs), which I believe for the sound
you get they still are. (I'm getting on a bit and don't mind carrying them around!)
[/quote]

Especially since I found out that they fit into a Gator 2110 Keyboard bag meant for the Microkorg- - £20 from Amazon.

I just got myself an Eden WT550 a fortnight ago and love it. I was after exactly the same as you described in the first post and got it ...in spades. It sounds great with all my basses as well. My P bass with flats is phat, my Ibanez burps in the mids like a good 'un and my ACG Finn 4 sounds as modern as anything else I've heard. That's all with the eq flat, just using the enhance control.

It's lovely sounding amp, really warm tone and the low notes seem to have a presence and oomph about them that I've never had before in any of the other amps I've tried. No woolliness by the way just sheer heft it that makes sense.
I love mine and I think it's here to stay...unless of course a WT800 comes up at the right price any time soon.
B)

My 2c on the GKs. I have an MB Fusion and 2001RB-II and previously owned a 700RB-II.

The MB Fusion CAN sound very bright and clean, it can also sound deep and dirty. Very flexible amp, it is naturally voiced more towards the bright end of the scale but it's done everything I've ever asked of it. I got to hear it out front on Sunday for the first time and it sounded monsterous.

The RB series give a much beefier tone with the knobs flat. Also very versatile amps, there's really not a lot to say about them, they can do whatever you want from them, you get the bi-amping option with them and they're rock solid.

About GKs in general, if I'd tried them first in a shop on my own, I don't know if I would've gone for the 700RB-II I started with. They just don't have the wow factor solo for me. In a band situation though, I can't imagine having better amps. They cut through the mix perfectly, you don't lose any definition or bottom end with the rest of the band going full pelt and they're extremely solid peieces of kit. I also can't imagine any kind of music I couldn't get a decent tone out of them for. Obviously I have an MB Fusion and 2001RB so that gives me a variation of "flat" sounds as well as the EQ, but I'd happily take either into any band and feel confident that it could do it's job. I can't remember if I've ever even changed the EQ from flat on either, I've been so happy with how they've performed.

If you have any questions about either or any other GK stuff, just ask either here or PM, I'm an endorsee and GK nerd so if there's anything I can't answer, I'll shoot the question off to the AR guy at GK and report back. Or fire Polar Audio or GK a question direct, they're always happy to help in my experience. :)

Thanks Kenny and ThomBassMonkey.
I think either the Eden or the GK will serve me well. I guess they will both be well made and reliable.
Slight concern over spares for Eden as nobody seems to have one (Marshall still haven't got back to me about where there's a WT550 near me).
Slight concern over GK in that I'd probably go for the 1001RB but I've always thought they were more of a heavy metal / rock amp and seem to be larger and heavier than the rest (not class D) - maybe thats a good thing... but I do quite like my one trip from the car/taxi setup: Bass, bag (with leads and amp in) and speaker on wheels.

In the end I think I'll need to try both and see which I prefer personally. But thank you to everyone who has helped give me some insight into what these amps can do. I don't need to make a fast purchase, my Genz is doing OK, its just not got my 'holy grail' sound.

If I can't find an Eden to try by the end of the year its probably going to be the GK anyway - at least they seem readily available.

I have had the privilege of conducting a sort of 3rd-party ABC test on a MarkBass, OTB, and Eden. This was when I was playing guitar alongside andyonbass, and he used them on 3 consecutive gigs. I can't 100% remember the models, except the OTB was definitely the 500W, and I [i]think[/i] the MarkBass was a Little Mark.

Anyway, the only one that didn't sound good in a band context was the Eden - it just sounded muddy to me. Well that's my 2p worth...

Eden is very hi fi and versatile but I found my Eden combo too fussy for me and I gave up on it after a few months gigging use

Try as I might I couldn't get a single useful sound (and my sound 'need' is very simple) out of a Mark Bass head I owned for exactly 5 days !

I've yet to hear a noise from any GK I've tried that I didn't like and , for me, the 'neutral' sound of them is bang on. I'm on my 5th now. I change them while they still have decent 2nd hand value for new ones. No other reason.