Why become a member? ×

Roxy Music - Flesh & Blood / 'Same Old Scene' - Who's the Bassist?

SMART

Sorry one and all...but another 'I've just be listening to...' story!

Just on the way back from Gatwick after a day of biz in Denmark (no, we're not buying TC Electronic as a result of their merger with Gibson being called off which personally I think was a great big favour to TC Electronic!) and I decided to refrain from yet another delve into the back catalogue of Level 42 again and lighted upon Roxy Musics Flesh and Blood album in the 'ol iPhone.

I used to play the life out of 'Same Old Scene' when it came out on cassette and so proceeded to play it since a recent reminder of just how good it is was made not so long ago when the BBC prog "Ashes to Ashes' was being aired. Excellent bass lines again and indeed through out the whole album.

Anyone remember who was on bass then in the old Roxy? Sounds like the same guy on 'Avalon' which followed this album?

Ciao

Ian

Edited by SMART

[quote name='SMART' post='193408' date='May 6 2008, 10:02 PM']Sorry one and all...but another 'I've just be listening to...' story!

Just on the way back from Gatwick after a day of biz in Denmark (no, we're not buying TC Electronic as a result of their merger with Gibson being called off which personally I think was a great big favour to TC Electronic!) and I decided to refrain from yet another delve into the back catalogue of Level 42 again and lighted upon Roxy Musics Flesh and Blood album in the 'ol iPhone.

I used to play the life out of 'Same Old Scene' when it came out on cassette and so proceeded to play it since a recent reminder of just how good it is was made not so long ago when the BBC prog "Ashes to Ashes' was being aired. Excellent bass lines again and indeed through out the whole album.

Anyone remember who was on bass then in the old Roxy? Sounds like the same guy on 'Avalon' which followed this album?

Ciao

Ian[/quote]
I thought it was Gary Tibbs but according to the Wiki, it's Gary Tibbs on some tracks, a guy called Neil Jason who I've never heard of on a few and Alan Spenner on the others.. Follow this link:

[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flesh_%2B_Blood"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flesh_%2B_Blood[/url]

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='193471' date='May 6 2008, 10:45 PM']I thought it was Gary Tibbs but according to the Wiki, it's Gary Tibbs on some tracks, a guy called Neil Jason who I've never heard of on a few and Alan Spenner on the others.. Follow this link:[/quote]

Neil Jason is great - there is a Brecker Brothers tune called 'Funky Sea Funky Dew' on Youtube with him on (now THAT's a beard!!). Grooves like a mofo - watch for the funky break in the middle.

[quote name='Paul Cooke' post='194151' date='May 7 2008, 07:46 PM']"Love is the Drug"... monster bassline...[/quote]
+1

There's some great bass playing on Roxy Music albums.. The bass on 'Mother of Pearl' on the Stranded album is just wonderful!

[quote name='SMART' post='194316' date='May 8 2008, 12:04 AM']Basstastic!!!

Ciao

Ian[/quote]

I like to think there's something signficant about it. I was listening to Roxy at the time. Great bass playing whoever it was.
Ian, the Flea is the bollocks mate :)
Chris

[quote name='Beedster' post='194320' date='May 8 2008, 12:08 AM']I like to think there's something signficant about it. I was listening to Roxy at the time. Great bass playing whoever it was.
Ian, the Flea is the bollocks mate :)
Chris[/quote]

Why, Chris, I thank you!

The truth is out there...

Ciao

Ian

PS Roxys "Manifesto' is the third of my fav' album of theirs as well as 'Avalon' and 'Flesh and Blood', it has kicking basslines (sorry no pun intended Seymour Duncan!) as well, think Dance Away', one of my first ever singles I bought, me thinks it was number five (number one single ever bought was 'Hellraiser' by the exceptionally glam rocking Sweet).

Edited by SMART

[quote name='Bass_In_Yer_Face' post='194426' date='May 8 2008, 08:50 AM']I just love Roxy's bass lines...Same Old Scene is just awsome and has been said it was Gary Tibbs who was also in Adam & The Ants. He also features in the video so it is him.[/quote]
Just Google "who played bass on roxy music same old scene".......!

[quote name='Bass_In_Yer_Face' post='194426' date='May 8 2008, 08:50 AM']I just love Roxy's bass lines...Same Old Scene is just awsome and has been said it was Gary Tibbs who was also in Adam & The Ants. He also features in the video so it is him.[/quote]
Gary Tibbs was only on the prince charming album, sad i know but i was a big ants fan!

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='194302' date='May 7 2008, 11:51 PM']+1

There's some great bass playing on Roxy Music albums.. The bass on 'Mother of Pearl' on the Stranded album is just wonderful![/quote]

absolutely! funky,melodic and immensely inspiring