Why become a member? ×

Zoom H2 Question

Hobbayne

[quote name='Hobbayne' timestamp='1350130035' post='1834898']
If I want to record for a long while and am not that bothered about quality, what is the best recording setting to use?
There is a vast choice of wave and mp3 options to choose from and I am a bit bewildered. :unsure:
[/quote]
Record what?

[quote name='Hobbayne' timestamp='1350139312' post='1835058']
Just a rehearsal. I want to leave it in a corner and let it run. There are so many options of wave and mp3 and file sizes kilobytes etc.
[/quote]

The H2 is fine then. Set it for the quality and record level you need, let it run. I had one, it was superb, great for recording gigs too. We use our iPhones these days though so I sold it to chris b.

Cards arent expensive (have look on Amazon) - get an 8 or 16GB card and be done with it.

I record at 24bit always (especially reheasals) that way I can turn the pres right down and leave masses of headroom and it wont matter when I cme to turn it back up in a DAW afterwards - you have enough dynaimc range to play it very safe with 24bit.

A stereo 2 hour rehearsal at 24bit 48KHz takes up about 1.5GB IME (its never exactly the 2 hours though, since there is set up band breakdown time which even I dotn record)

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1350139794' post='1835062']
The H2 is fine then. Set it for the quality and record level you need, let it run. I had one, it was superb, great for recording gigs too. We use our iPhones these days though so I sold it to chris b.
[/quote]
I've got a H2, they're great. I'm intrigued to how your recording on the iPhone...do you use a separate mic? Which app? :)

[quote name='peterjam' timestamp='1351152066' post='1847867']
Would you say the Zoom H1 or H2n would be better for a live recording? I'd like to leave it running and then chop the file into tracks afterwards - do I need to put 'marks' between the tracks?
[/quote]

A friend of mine has had issues with getting the gain low enough oin the H1 for very loud rehearsals. This was originally an issue on the H4n too, but Zoom released a firmware update to allow turning the pres down even more.

I've not heard anyone say anything along those lines for the H2, but they may not be reaching the same face melting volumes :D

You dont need to mark the tracks at all. Load them into any decent wav/mp3 editor and you will see where it gets noisy in the waveform without any problem!

Thanks for the responses - the guidance is very welcome. I finally went for the H1 - imagine my delight when I discovered it came bundled with Steinberg Wavelab LE 7 (it's on the 2GB micro SD card). We're gigging this weekend - Sunday 4th - so it will be used in anger. I'll be posting the results on the bands FaceAche page.

[url="http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/StrumSum/193114527412256"]http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/StrumSum/193114527412256[/url]