Why become a member? ×

Liberty City - LCBB version

urb

I know I run the risk of unleashing a wave of 'meh' and various polarised views on Jaco's work by posting yet more interpretations of his stuff - but I think this is rather good:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXoiS7Cx_Zc[/media]

Love this too:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fuw-oWWBtS4[/media]

Edited by urb

[quote name='urb' timestamp='1350032536' post='1833670']
I think this is rather good

[/quote]

Agreed - great version of LC. Great composition and quite an unusual chordal pulsing bass line which no-one seems to mention much. Not so fond of Domingo though... slightly '70s made for TV movie for me - actually as I listen again, it's getting better. Lol-Cot met the great man a few times. There's a picture of him juggling with Jaco on his website!

Cottle has made a career out of coppng Jaco licks and now his Big Band cops a whole chart. Talk aout missing the point. More evidence of Jazz as repertory. As 'accurate' as the performance is, he should be ashamed of himself.

It's nice but so is this but this is also real.....

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27D-YUvgUOU"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27D-YUvgUOU[/url]

(You knew, didn't you, Mike? :lol:)

I'm on the move reading this so can't get the vid working - but being a friend of Laurie's and having heard him play countless times and know the extent of his skills - I think he's a lot more than just a plain old Jaco clone - but you're entitled to your opinion Rob - re the Jaco material he's done some of it is straight transcriptions but a lot of it is newly arranged and LC has done some wicked stuff with it... but hey you don't HAVE to like it!

M

I know LC is capable of making his own contribution and I guess that is why I get frustrated when I hear another 'Jaco' event featuring him. Seems such as waste. But, then again, I am a Jazz Nazi so my extreme views should be treated with appropriate contempt :P

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1350123896' post='1834788']
I know LC is capable of making his own contribution and I guess that is why I get frustrated when I hear another 'Jaco' event featuring him. Seems such as waste. But, then again, I am a Jazz Nazi so my extreme views should be treated with appropriate contempt :P
[/quote]

Shame you don't really feel that taking 15 of Jaco's best tunes - re-scoring and re-arranging them for a top class big band isn't making a 'contribution' - and correct me if I'm wrong but to the best of my knowledge Laurie has never done a Jaco project before - he's played the Chicken and Donna Lee plenty - but who hasn't? :)

I agree that the repertory thing is a bit too common these days but if you see these guys live it's truly great to hear these tunes given the full treatment by some brilliant musicians

Bilbo, normally I consider you right on the money but to write off LC as a Jaco clone is madness. Listen to his body of work - yes, he has the facility and groove of Jaco but if you hear his playing on something like Mark Nightingale's Out of the Box album I don't think you could possibly compare the two. LC is a phenomenal musician.

I am being unfair. I have seen LC live on several occasions and hear JP all over his playing but he is perfectly within his rights to do a Jaco tribute; as much as Joe Lovano doing Frank Sinatra, Dave Liebman doing Coltrane or the whole Mingus Big Band industry. My opposition to these types of project are a matter for me and do not negate the contribution made by these major players to the status of the wider Jazz idiom. I am not the Jazz Policeman, just a bloke in Suffolk who is probably too far up his own a*** for his own good ;)

I like the LC Video [seen it before]
Laurie is a great Musician all round.
With this project, it is something he has wanted to do for a long time.
I suppose it took time to get together,
he is also a very good arranger with some great idea's.
Sure, we have all heard that tune a skip load of times,
but I enjoyed the Video for what it is - some very, very good Musicians on their game.

Garry