Why become a member? ×

NEW!! Gibson EB Bass

bigsmokebass

Hey guys,

BSB again, reporting with more news on Gibson basses again.

[IMG]http://i989.photobucket.com/albums/af20/graeskyenathoof/Basses/4942b277ba2d38688a8a2b3dd2be4338.jpg[/IMG]

[B]Specs: [/b]
[Quote] The EB Bass has deep roots in rock'n'roll, with its SG-derived body and chunky pickups rumbling out the low end for countless rockers from the '60s to today. Now Gibson USA blends its knack for innovation with Gibson tradition in an ingenious reinvention of the format to bring you the new EB Bass, one of the most powerful and versatile four strings available today. The new EB Bass marries a brand new and extremely comfortable body shape to a glued-in, full-scale neck and two awesome sounding new humbucking bass pickups for unprecedented power and fidelity. Whether you play in-the-pocket funk, warm and sultry jazz, or raging rock, the EB Bass is primed to take it on. It looks great in the process, too, in your choice of four gorgeous grain-textured nitrocellulose lacquer finishes, in Natural Satin, Satin Ebony, Satin Cream, and Satin Fireburst, each offset by a stylishly swept-back red tortoise pickguard.

The foundation of the new EB Bass from Gibson USA lies in a solid ash body and glued-in maple neck. Ash has long been respected for its open, resonant tone, and lends itself perfectly to a rich, versatile-voiced bass. A glued-in solid Grade-A maple neck adds punch and clarity to the brew, and feels superbly playable with its rounded profile that measures .800" at the 1st fret and .900" at the 12th. Its unbound genuine rosewood fingerboard follows the full 34" scale length, and carries 20 medium jumbo frets, all easily reached by the playing hand thanks to the EB Bass's new offset double-cutaway styling. Up at the other end, a traditional Gibson headstock and high-quality Grover™ tuners stick with tradition, while a precision PLEK cut Corian™ nut optimizes sustain and intonation.

The new EB Bass's unprecedented blend of power, fidelity, and versatility comes courtesy of an incredible pair of new humbucking bass pickups that give bassists the best of both worlds in cool bass tone. These newly designed pickups blend genuine Alnico V rod magnets with proprietary winding methods and other materials for a more focused tonality, taking you from thundering humbucker rumble to gutsy robust single coil tones on demand. Pop up either pickup's volume control to access a new frequency tuned coil tap for a fatter single coil tone and better output balance, with hum canceling when both pickups are combined, and low-noise operation when used individually. Blended as desired via independent volume controls and a master tone control, they are wound for warmth and clarity in the neck position, and a hotter, punchier tone in the bridge position for maximum rumble—or blend infinitely at will to create your own sonic brew. A great, highly engineered Babicz™ full contact bass bridge feeds these incredible pickups with the optimum clarity and sustain, while being easily adjustable for perfect intonation, completing a new EB Bass that looks and feels entirely “classic," yet offers a versatile contemporary performance that every modern bassist will appreciate. Check out the new EB Bass today at your authorized Gibson dealer, and see what these new heights of tone and playability can do for your music. [/quote]

Quite a cool and original looking bass for Gibson (as fa as I'm aware) with modern specs, looking forward to your opinions :D

BSB

After spending some time oogling at this bass, it's real nice and I like the bridge: more of an improvement to the traditionally used and rather unfavoured '3 point' leaving a few people out of pocket replacing it with the Hipshot.

Pickups: versatile humbuckers for "funk - rock" seems a feature I'd like to inspect but nothing more than the split coils, turning this from a (no doubt) traditional Gibson tone to somewhat of a Fender Jazz tone in a pull of a pot.

Body/contours: this bass looks like it will sit pretty on your lap or even against your body while standing, as a Gibson/odd epiphone player, there's been the odd instrument where comfort is a bad issue.

For a WhAcKeY Gibson SG/EB I quite like it but before trying it, my only concern will be the RRP as in comparison a TBird is cheaper :-/

BSB

"[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]Now Gibson USA blends its knack for innovation..."[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]I have to be honest, that had me chuckling.[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]Not entirely sure what to make of this. The body kinda reminds me of an Ibby ATK with the backwards sloping rear end (but that might just be this angle), the tort plate is very unlike Gibson, and to my eyes, the square headstock clashes with the smooth contours of the body.[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]At least it hasn't got the 3-pin bridge![/size][/font][/color]

I think this looks really nice... There is an element of Mosrite but from memory the bottom horn would have to stick out further than the top one. IIRC Mosrites shapewise were essentially Fender Jazzmasters turned upside down. Anyhow I'll be interested to hear/play it.

Funnily enough I've never really been into Gibson basses and having recently decided to try a Thunderbird find Gibson on the verge of releasing three new basses that all float my boat in some way. And from what I can tell with a few shops promising the Grabber 3 for between £650 - £800 and the Midtown at around £950 - £999 I don't think the street prices are any more painful than any other US made gear. I wonder when they're due to arrive?

Gibson
[IMG]http://i989.photobucket.com/albums/af20/graeskyenathoof/Basses/4942b277ba2d38688a8a2b3dd2be4338.jpg[/IMG]

Mosrite
[IMG]http://www.edroman.com/guitars/mosrite/images/mosrite_go_265cer.jpg[/IMG]

Get what I see in this now? Not identical but a lot of character :)

BSB

Edited by bigsmokebass

[quote name='basslowdown' timestamp='1349868663' post='1831466']
I think this looks really nice... There is an element of Mosrite but from memory the bottom horn would have to stick out further than the top one. IIRC Mosrites shapewise were essentially Fender Jazzmasters turned upside down. Anyhow I'll be interested to hear/play it.

Funnily enough I've never really been into Gibson basses and having recently decided to try a Thunderbird find Gibson on the verge of releasing three new basses that all float my boat in some way. And from what I can tell with a few shops promising the Grabber 3 for between £650 - £800 and the Midtown at around £950 - £999 I don't think the street prices are any more painful than any other US made gear. I wonder when they're due to arrive?
[/quote]

The G3 reissue seems a good little bargain for what it is and a keen eye opener for a few people who haven't tried or made much of the brand so far.
I do like it but with the latter Gibson's popping out of nowhere I find myself in a pickle haha. However. It doesn't seem to be any UK stores ordering any in (as of this moment) where as the midtown bass I've seen on a few sites.
So I guess, it depends on what stores will be ordering them in and how many are being released from Gibson.

BSB

[quote name='basslowdown' timestamp='1349870437' post='1831499']
Looks like Dawsons have them on order, quoting £799.

Yes I can see myself going from never considering a Gibson to hankering after a collection!!!
[/quote]

Checked their site and can't find it :S may I ask you for the link/source?

Haha I never thought I'd be owning so many Gibsons or even playing them a few years ago and now here I am. . . .
Cracking basses for what I need them for :D

BSB

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1349856250' post='1831250']
Sorry but that's not even vaguely Mosrite-y.

What does EB stand for in this case? Ernie Ball?
[/quote]

I would guess it stands for "Electric Bass" like it always has done. I have nothing official to back that up, but I'll wager my guess has more chance of being right than yours ;)

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1349871535' post='1831531']
I would guess it stands for "Electric Bass" like it always has done. I have nothing official to back that up, but I'll wager my guess has more chance of being right than yours ;)
[/quote]

I was implying that this "new" Gibson looks IMO like a Stingray with a 2+2 headstock. Obviously I was being too subtle.

Still looks nothing like a Mosrite to me. The cutaways are all wrong, no German carve on the body edge, no fat single coil pickups.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1349873957' post='1831584']
Still looks nothing like a Mosrite to me. The cutaways are all wrong, no German carve on the body edge, no fat single coil pickups.
[/quote]

[quote name='bigsmokebass' timestamp='1349869459' post='1831481']
Gibson

Mosrite
[IMG]http://www.edroman.com/guitars/mosrite/images/mosrite_go_265cer.jpg[/IMG]

Get what I see in this now? Not identical but a lot of character :)

BSB
[/quote]

Nothing at all looks [I]faintly[/I] similar here? Headstock, the curve at the bottom of the body? Pickguard with the pickups, Bridge?

Maybe I'm seeing things :S

[quote name='basslowdown' timestamp='1349871610' post='1831534']
Try these, hope it works I'm on my phone

http://www.dawsons.co.uk/gibson-grabber-3-70s-tribute-bass-guitar-satin-ebony

http://www.gak.co.uk/en/gibson-grabber-3-70s-tribute-bass-satin-honeyburst/75604
[/quote]

muchos gracias, amigo :D think you'll get one then?

BSB