Why become a member? ×

Yamaha BB400S & BB300 "BBingRay"/Super P Project

Sean

I am seriously worried about the coincidences here :) I now know what the spare Yamaha brown body I have is.... BB400S. Mine appears to be mahoghany or similar. Anyone got a spare Yamaha BB neck? Sean's progress is faster than mine - good work.

[quote name='3below' timestamp='1351366766' post='1850638']
I am seriously worried about the coincidences here :) I now know what the spare Yamaha brown body I have is.... BB400S. Mine appears to be mahoghany or similar. Anyone got a spare Yamaha BB neck? Sean's progress is faster than mine - good work.
[/quote]
The 400S is alder. I saw what the body wood is in a PDF of the old yamaha catalogue. Can't find the link right now but it is there if you search. I really like the 400S body, chimes like a bell.

So here's the 400S body with pickup routing done. I'm happy to have done this routing myself as it'll be covered by the pickguard but the battery compartment, jack socket and controls cavity enlargement needs to be done by a pro.

Also, you can see the first layer of Sea Foam Green. All trace of Sonic Blue is now gone, I sanded back and primed again.

That's a bit of wood filler in the routing filling a minor error :blush:

Edited by Sean

looking good, what did you end up using as grain filler?

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1350147778' post='1835209']
Oops!

Probably Sen Ash or Alder I believe.

Alex
[/quote] not sen, sen looks like this: [IMG]http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee497/LukeFRC/JV/DSC03075.jpg[/IMG]

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1351467948' post='1851612']
looking good, what did you end up using as grain filler?

[/quote]

Nothing! Once I flat sanded the body back it became almost smooth. I was reluctantly ready to get the automotive primer/filler out, which would have made the project lose something for me but we're back on track now.
I got about 3/4 of the Sea Foam Green on there yesterday and I'll finish the spraying next Saturday, I need to get some more on where there are a few paler patches. If the headstock is going to match, it's going to need another tin of SFG however I really fancy having a go.

How do I do the masking for the headstock?
I've got Matt lacquer for the neck but I'll need to use some if the body gloss lacquer for the headstock...

...sort of typing and thinking out loud now!

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Sean' timestamp='1351495010' post='1851674']
I've now asked for a quote for the routing, pickguard and a new nut.
[/quote] how are these going?
I got the first coat of paint on my jazz body today - was going to go down the proper sanding sealer/primer/colour topcoat route in nitro- then costed it up, primer/acrylic/topcoat also seemed to be a bit much - top quality graffiti paint however - designed to give good colour and coverage - and £3.50 a can! :)

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1352684266' post='1866199']
how are these going?
I got the first coat of paint on my jazz body today - was going to go down the proper sanding sealer/primer/colour topcoat route in nitro- then costed it up, primer/acrylic/topcoat also seemed to be a bit much - top quality graffiti paint however - designed to give good colour and coverage - and £3.50 a can!
[/quote]

The BB400S is waiting to be shipped to The Bass Doc for control jack and battery routs and a bone nut to be cut and fitted. I'm also having him make a white pearl Stingray type pickguard for it too. I'm working in China at the moment so it's on hold for a couple of weeks. As soon as I get back I'll be fitting the bridge, pickups and tuners so Howard can do his bit.

The 300 body is still only half stripped and is waiting for more work to get it back to the wood, I'll work out what to do with it then.

I've got another project about to start and Jon Shuker is going to start that for me but I'm keeping it under wraps until it's done as I feel there'd be a few :o and a few :unsure: and not to mention a few :blink: and even some :( and possibly some :angry: if they saw it before it's done.

What paint did you use? Have you got a link? I might give some cheaper paint a go on the 300 just to see.

[quote name='Sean' timestamp='1352686809' post='1866211']
The BB400S is waiting to be shipped to The Bass Doc for control jack and battery routs and a bone nut to be cut and fitted. I'm also having him make a white pearl Stingray type pickguard for it too. I'm working in China at the moment so it's on hold for a couple of weeks. As soon as I get back I'll be fitting the bridge, pickups and tuners so Howard can do his bit.

The 300 body is still only half stripped and is waiting for more work to get it back to the wood, I'll work out what to do with it then.

I've got another project about to start and Jon Shuker is going to start that for me but I'm keeping it under wraps until it's done as I feel there'd be a few :o and a few :unsure: and not to mention a few :blink: and even some :( and possibly some :angry: if they saw it before it's done.

What paint did you use? Have you got a link? I might give some cheaper paint a go on the 300 just to see.
[/quote] http://www.molotow.com/products/artist-line/premium-relaunch-2011/

intrigued about the Shuker! let me guess have you integrated a full size leslie speaker into it?

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1352688533' post='1866214']
[url="http://www.molotow.com/products/artist-line/premium-relaunch-2011/"]http://www.molotow.c...-relaunch-2011/[/url]

intrigued about the Shuker! let me guess have you integrated a full size leslie speaker into it?
[/quote]

I like that Molotow site, it's given me some ideas for a unique paint job.

The new project won't be a new Shuker, I'm just getting Jon to do some of the more dramatic wood surgery before I do the rest myself.

• 2 months later...

[quote name='Sean' timestamp='1352690177' post='1866215']
I like that Molotow site, it's given me some ideas for a unique paint job.

The new project won't be a new Shuker, I'm just getting Jon to do some of the more dramatic wood surgery before I do the rest myself.
[/quote] are we due an update sir?

This is the one Shuker did
http://basschat.co.uk/topic/197297-valenti-no-5-p-bass/page__pid__1948256#entry1948256

The Seafoam Green Yam BBingray is still with The Bass Doc having some routing done and a pickguard made.

The BB Super P is waiting for me to complete a Shuker build course. I want to develop my skills a bit more so that I do the best job I can.

Well, the Sea Foam Green BBingRay is done. The Bass Doc has finished doing the tricky stuff, routs and new nut and all that remains is for me to fit some hardware and it's complete.

Pics as soon as I receive it back. Apparently it sounds fantastic and has a lot of different sounds in it. I'm not entirely happy with the refinish so I'll redo it after I've done the Shuker build course and learned a bit about how to do it properly.

Edited by Sean

Here it is! As you can see, it's had more work done than David Guest but it's ended up a lot prettier and much more useful than him!

Pickup switching is one three-way to select between MM, MM+P, P and one two way which switches between MM in parallel and MM switched to single coil mode.

This gives Classic Sterling sound (yes, it's ceramic), Hoofing P (that DiMarzio is a DP127 monster P), single J at the bridge and PJ and whatever other combinations. It has an East MMSR 3-band EQ pre-amp.

It sounds monstrous through my newly acquired 400+ and good ole Bergantinos. There are a lot of sounds in this bass. The DP127 combined with the East MMSR is possibly a bit much and I might go for a hot but more conventional P pickup in the next version I'm planning.

Thanks to Ou7shined for the inspiration, LukeFRC for selling me the neck (attached to a BB300) and continually badgering me to update (which has been a good motivator), The Bass Doc for doing the detailed routs and fiddly stuff, Jon Shuker for loads of advice on everything and the guy who sold me the MEC MM pup (you know who you are).