Why become a member? ×

Too fussy or just selective

Aiseymay

Hey All,

So I've been been bandless for far too long and it's starting to drive me a little nuts. I've had a few offers and seen a few ad's around but not gone for them. This is mostly because there has been something niggly about the bands/muscians. Not just the 'they don't play the style I'm after', I've done a fair bit of session stuff for a wide varity of musicians and used to be happy playing just about anything, but they've mentioned a band I just don't like or stated a preferance of news paper that I disagree with and have dismissed them from the running.

So, I'm not sure if I'm being overly fussy or I'm just done messing around and I'm finally ready to settle down with the perfect band and raise lots of little basslines.

Thoughts?

I know what you mean, but will 'the perfect band' ever come along?
Personally, I've always compromised and put up with various shades of stool rather than be bandless.
Playing music with other people is an amazing skill-accelerator. There's no real substitute in my opinion.
Go for it. Nothing ventured, as they say

You can be too selective though. I answered an ad from a guitarist who was looking to put together a rock band to do stuff from 1968 to 1975. It turned out that he was strictly adhering to that too, as he was only intested in these years and nowt else.

My first venture back into band world after a considerable gap was answering a musos wanted ad saying "No nutters. No stalkers. No political activists" but the advertiser turned out to be all 3 :lol:

You never really know what people are like to you start working with them I guess.

[quote name='Hobbayne' timestamp='1349710521' post='1829436']
You can be too selective though. I answered an ad from a guitarist who was looking to put together a rock band to do stuff from 1968 to 1975. It turned out that he was strictly adhering to that too, as he was only intested in these years and nowt else.
[/quote] Wow, I'm not that selective. I've spent many years throwing myself into bands that where not quite right and have then either not get off the starting block or end up with a few rehersals or gigs then it all falls apart because we're all after different things.

Don't get me wrong, I agree with everyone's suggestions above and I've done that in the past. Including trying start my own thing (upto and including getting vocal coaching which I was told to give it up :P ).

Guess I'm being impatient and venting a little.

Edited by Aiseymay

If it was slightly progressively influenced I'd be jumping at a band that only wanted to do '68-'75, some superb stuff recorded between those dates. I've had to become rather less selective as time has gone on and this has probably resulted in me leaving bands prematurely due to me accepting something I wasn't 100% committed to. Unfortunately these days I'm too old for most of the bands I see ads for. If you advertise a 'proper job' and put age stipulations on it the HR people wouldn't let it go out. However I see numerous 'bassist wanted' ads on stuff like partysounds and it's invariably under 40's only.

[quote name='Hobbayne' timestamp='1349710521' post='1829436']
[/quote]
Please don't take this the wrong way Hobbayne, but surely, if the ad says "[i]I want to put together a rock band to do stuff from 1968 to 1975[/i]", then really that's what you should expect. :(

I've spent the last 18 months trying to put together a [i]Dr Feelgood/Pirates pub-rock[/i] type band, and lots of muso's answer the ads saying that's what they like too, then 2 or 3 months down the line, they start wanting to introduce stuff that is not in that genre, and I'm back to square one.
It might be narrow-minded of me, but that's what I want to play, and if I can find like-minded musicians, then I will be happy. :rolleyes:

I'm with thebrig on this one - so long as you are upfront with it, what's wrong with being particular about a genre, style or era? I'm an awkward bugger myself. I'll do sessions that range far more genres than I'd be willing to play in a band setting. There are plenty (most!) of musicians who'll be more flexible and that's great but if you are looking for a certain thing, there should be room for that too. The downside of course is that if you are too rigid and focused you can be left behind if you don't wind up putting the odd band together yourself

[quote name='thebrig' timestamp='1349714260' post='1829514']
Please don't take this the wrong way Hobbayne, but surely, if the ad says "[i]I want to put together a rock band to do stuff from 1968 to 1975[/i]", then really that's what you should expect. :(
[/quote]

Oh yes, I agree with you, but its a very narrow window of selected bands, and difficult to find an audience for.
People usually like a bit more variety and choice that you can get from being more versatile. and I hoped the guy would see that.