Why become a member? ×

Compressor pedals - which one is best?

Gunsfreddy2003

I have had my EBS Multi-Comp for some time now and never really thought too much about it but there seem to be a lot on the market now and I wonder which one people feel is the best and most useable?

Seems that the Aguilar TLC, Diamond Bass Comp and the MXR seem to be most favoured. But what about the Spectracomp on the TC amps?

I really only use a compressor when I am slapping to even out the pops - should I be looking for more usage than this such as improving the highs?

Any opinions and advice greatfully received!

For many pedals and rack comps reviewed go [url="http://www.ovnilab.com/index.shtml"]here[/url]:-

For a decent (if I do say so myself) description of compression and how to go about setting up a compressor for bass go [url="http://blog.basschat.co.uk/setting-up-a-compressor/"]here[/url]

If I were to pick a coupl eof pedals I think are a cut above it would be the Markbass Compressore and the Joe Meek FloorQ.

Can you do more with your compressor? Almost certainly, after all in recorded music the bass is one of the most likely to be compressed instruments in a mix.

Should you do more with a compressor? If you know what you are doing - or are willing to learn - then probably IMO....

A compressor wont 'improve the highs' it will allow you to get a punchier more even sound, that will give you a better than fighting chance against the rest of a band in a mix (esp the kick drum, but in some cases guitars, keyboards etc). It will help even out the inhenrent changes in the envelope of your sound that the bass produces with different techniques.

Edited by 51m0n

Onvi is a great resource, I went here before trying the two 51m0n mentions (and a couple more) and decided on the Markbass. Its not that big really, but its one of very few valve compressors that actually uses the valve to do the compressing (like the expensive studio rack ones do) most of the so-called valve comps just use a standard solid state compressor circuit with a valve preamp to drive the gain. Not that that is a bad thing, but its a cheaper way to do it and you'll only get the benefit of the valvey loveliness if you drive it - which isn't always ideal.

• 2 weeks later...

I have tried out quite a few comp pedals including keeley, Rothwell, EBS, Trace Elliot, MXR (2 knob), Mark Bass, Aguilar and Boss.
I went for a Diamond in the end and Im really impressed with it. Simple to use, impossible to get a bad tone.

A couple more worth checking out - not cheap though!

[url="http://www.origineffects.com/Cali76.php"]Cali76[/url]
[url="http://www.empresseffects.com/compressor.html"]Empress Effects Compressor[/url]

The Cali76 with the transformer option is supposed to be very very like a real 1176 (not sure which version though, if that bothers anyone)....

I have recently invested in a Maxon CP9 pro+

It is a satisfyingly heavy little box that has so far manged to give me a really balanced sound without zingyness going from Jazz Bass to Orange Terror Bass,

I am impressed so far, not leasted by the low noise- even with the gain up.

Not cheap, but compressors seem to be one of those pedals where you get what you pay for.

surely compression is set it & forget it..

i resourced the onvi labs site" excellent it is may i also add" & stuck with my boss lmb3.. why?
because it does a very good job for what it is.

ask yourself how many times are you going to start twiddling knobs on the gig & going to different settings?
all most never" in my experience anyway, so if you have the cash to blow on this & that "great go ahead and indulge yourself
flashing lights & silly price tags abound.

I set my compressor up at least once a week, depending on what I'm playing....

Once set up for what I'm doing I leave it alone for the rest of the evening though. Having the lights to back up the knobs is vital IMO.

I set a compressor up differently for every instrument in every mix that I put compressor on (hint, I use a lot of compression in a lot of ways to do lots of things, all of which make it sound better). Compressors are the closest thing to a magic talent switch that there is if you know how to use them when mixing :D

[quote name='51m0n' timestamp='1351377101' post='1850726']
I set my compressor up at least once a week, depending on what I'm playing....

Once set up for what I'm doing I leave it alone for the rest of the evening though. Having the lights to back up the knobs is vital IMO.

I set a compressor up differently for every instrument in every mix that I put compressor on (hint, I use a lot of compression in a lot of ways to do lots of things, all of which make it sound better). Compressors are the closest thing to a magic talent switch that there is if you know how to use them when mixing :D
[/quote]

+1 :D

I'm currently using a Effectrode PC-2A and talk about a magic box! I'm not a slap player but do occasionally like to hit it like I love it but it's done me wrong. The Effectrode only has two knobs and a limiter/compressor switch but it can do a wide range of compression - it's not mega complex and has no lights but the positive qualities it brings to the tone of what ever I play it through (PA, sh*tty peavey practice amp or decent combo) is worth the money. A P bass with flats going into this is just heavenly!

The PC-2A is a big warm hug of a pedal which evens out the attack without choking the dynamics of my playing. I'm recording this weekend and we're gonna try it with acoustic guitar, vocals, electric guitar and bass - a total work out :)

I can't say it's the best comp out there but it's perfect for my needs.

[quote name='Gunsfreddy2003' timestamp='1351552097' post='1852650']
Why?

Interested to know more about this one!
[/quote]

I'm not an expert on compression far from it but after trying a few different ones over the years the Diamond suits me best so far, it's does the job of smoothing out my levels a bit but more importantly (for me) it adds a bit of punch to my sound, I have an EBS I used it for ages and it's excellent at it's job and very transparent which some people like.

Here's a [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/187324-anyone-tried-a-diamond-bass-comp/page__p__1819326__hl__diamond__fromsearch__1#entry1819326"]link[/url] to an earlier thread about the Diamond started by Pete Academy who bought one in the end, you could PM him and see how he's getting on with it.

I'd like to try an MXR at some point, it's more like a rack compressor in a pedal with a proper meter.

I'd say the Diamond has a 'character' as in it changes your tone a bit, to my ears for the better, a little added warmth and punch, the EBS does the job of compression very well and leaves your tone alone, if you have your tone nailed down then you might not want a compressor doing anything more then taming the peaks.

It's so hard trying to describe a compressor, ideally you need to try one, not sure who stocks them in the UK, I picked mine up secondhand.

I think one compressor is enough but if you can afford it keep the EBS until you know the Diamond is for you.

[quote name='krispn' timestamp='1351535112' post='1852328']
I'm currently using a Effectrode PC-2A and talk about a magic box! I'm not a slap player but do occasionally like to hit it like I love it but it's done me wrong. The Effectrode only has two knobs and a limiter/compressor switch but it can do a wide range of compression - it's not mega complex and has no lights but the positive qualities it brings to the tone of what ever I play it through (PA, sh*tty peavey practice amp or decent combo) is worth the money. A P bass with flats going into this is just heavenly!

The PC-2A is a big warm hug of a pedal which evens out the attack without choking the dynamics of my playing. I'm recording this weekend and we're gonna try it with acoustic guitar, vocals, electric guitar and bass - a total work out :)

I can't say it's the best comp out there but it's perfect for my needs.
[/quote]

Another very interesting compressor this, it is to the La-2a wqhat the Cali76 is to the 1176. That is to say it is trying to get very close to being an La-2a in a pedal. As such it is a very idiosyncratic, and desirable compressor.

Its a tube circuit, but the compression is optical, how closely this pedal follows the compression characteristics of a real La-2a I dont know, that is hugely dependant on the characteristics of the light emitter component and the photoresistor. What is in this pedal isnt the same as the original device at any rate.

An La-2a has a fixed 10ms attack and a very musical release curve, whereby in 0.06 seconds it gives 50% release and from 0.5 to 5 seconds it then completes the release. This is pretty unusual, and a huge part of the La-2a 'mojo'.

An La-2a is a lovely lovely warm, musical sounding device, if this is close to it then I bet it sounds lovely in a very different way from the Cali76. In my ideal world I'd have the Cali76 transformer version into one of these. The Cali76 to tame the peaks, this to even out the levels. Scratch that, in my ideal world I'd have the latest rack beasts that are based on the original devices, rather than pedals, but these would get pretty close I think....

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='paulo m' timestamp='1351361581' post='1850571']
surely compression is set it & forget it..

i resourced the onvi labs site" excellent it is may i also add" & stuck with my boss lmb3.. why?
because it does a very good job for what it is.

ask yourself how many times are you going to start twiddling knobs on the gig & going to different settings?
all most never" in my experience anyway, so if you have the cash to blow on this & that "great go ahead and indulge yourself
flashing lights & silly price tags abound.
[/quote]

Spot on point !

I have tried tons of comp pedals. I rate Ovni Lab as a good reference point.

If your on a budget the BBE comp is great, not the recent (Moustahe) edition but the older one

The EBS is a great pedal, but be aware that the compression is quite subtle. Tubeism mode is nice.

Rothwell Love Squeeze is nice

Aguilar TLC is a great choice for slap as there is lots of control

I have to agree with a previous post and say the Diamond is my pick of the bunch at the moment. It adds tone to your sound but has a lovely smooth compression

Good luck with the hunt

[quote name='paulie' timestamp='1354458660' post='1886127']
I have tried tons of comp pedals. I rate Ovni Lab as a good reference point.

[/quote]

This!

Compression in a pedal form is a very personal thing I find. The T-rex(one I've had an kept) is the best I've had, very transparent and can be both subtle and squashing, although mine is a bit noisy, but that doesn't bother me too much.
It runs on silly power though so I got an adapter to run it on my diago power station, which was fair bit of money but still worth it.

I'd the Markbass and T-rex compressor are both very similar and only differ really in terms of enclosure design. I'd like the markbass cause the knobs have less tendency to move around, but it's huge. And if you have OCD like me you check knobs and such before you start playing anyway.

I use my comp mainly to bring everything inline frequency wise, and smooth out a lot of the unwanted dynamics, although subtle playing still sounds very subtle, but just louder. Also it's great for amp shares, when other people are using my amp I make them use my board as the comp brings down or up their input gain so the amp settings don't have to be change and reducing the risk of cooking something in the process.