Why become a member? ×

Underrated Bass players

Lfalex v1.1

[quote name='Lord Sausage' timestamp='1350845784' post='1844221']
I'm just confused as to what murray played on. I know he did slide it in and 1987. Wiki says he played on all the albums but on that gig at donnington 1983 its not him on bass.
[/quote]

Murray definitely on everything up to 'Come an get it' in 1981. However he was not touring with them by the time they were promoting the next album 'saints and sinners' which is credited as 1982 but i think came out in 81 or if 1982 then very early like Jan or Feb. I saw them promoting that album and it was deffo Colin Hodgkinson on bass on stage (and cozy powell on drums). Murray probably is on the studio recording of saints and sinners. It is almost certainly Colin Hodgkinson on Slide It In. However there are 2 versions of slide it in, one for the USA market and one for UK and the mixes are different, whether there are actually different instrument tracks recorded on them I'm not sure. I recall that Jon Lord is virtually mixed out of the US version, more prominent on the original UK version. 1987 is possibly a bit of a mash up in that some songs from old albums were re recorded and it could be that Murray was drafted in to do some stuff but Rudy Sarzo might be on some tracks as well, he's on the follow up album 'slip of the tongue'. After that there are probably no end of session guys on subsequent releases and they've been through 3 or 4 bass players live in the last 15 years or so including marco mendoza, I lose track of them pretty much after slip of the tongue though I have the albums so i could scan through the booklets if i ever get chance.

Edited by KevB

Thought I'd add a couple more the mix.
Firstly though +1's to:

Neil Murray
Dennis Dunaway
Pete Trewavas
Glen Hughes
Gezzer Butler

They were all my list but already mentioned

New ones

Eric Czar - A great player. Saw him play live with the first incarnation of Joe Bonamassa's trio. Greatly impressed by his feel and tone. Now does mostly solo stuff. Worth checking him out if you don't know his work.

Laurence Cottle - Session work and composer, he also demo's for GB Basses Saw him play a duet with Jeff Berlin a few years ago and I thought he played better stuff than Jeff did.

[quote name='oggiesnr' timestamp='1359459851' post='1954971']
Reading through the list of names on this thread I can only conclude that every bass player that has ever played with a band is underrated :D

Steve
[/quote]

LOL True. If you play the right notes at the right time how can you be considered bad?

[quote name='stoker' timestamp='1349294640' post='1824484']
Dave Pegg from Fairport Convention is a fantastic player as is Rick Kemp from Steeleye Span.
I've always rated Stuart Fletcher (ex Seahorses) very highly too!
[/quote]

Dave Pegg - all round nice guy and a really solid player. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHRcPkp9nWs

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1359489457' post='1955630']
Dave Pegg - all round nice guy and a really solid player. :)

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHRcPkp9nWs[/media]
[/quote]

Yep, and always ready to give the soundcrew a ciggie and buy them a pint, no matter how tiny and crappy the gig is and how much of a bunch of twats the rest of Fairport are being about the sound.... (I speak from bitter experience)

[quote name='Dave Vader' timestamp='1359491800' post='1955709']
Yep, and always ready to give the soundcrew a ciggie and buy them a pint, no matter how tiny and crappy the gig is and how much of a bunch of twats the rest of Fairport are being about the sound.... (I speak from bitter experience)
[/quote]

Well I can't comment on the rest of them but I've sat in the bar chatting with Dave a few times before and\or after a gig and he's a really laid back guy with a great sense of humour...

... and yes, I do realise that he'd have to be laid back and have a sense of humour to chat with me before the rest of you say it... <_<

[quote name='Dave Vader' timestamp='1359491800' post='1955709']
[/quote]

Novel place to keep your plectrum.....

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1359492957' post='1955737']
Well I can't comment on the rest of them but I've sat in the bar chatting with Dave a few times before and\or after a gig and he's a really laid back guy with a great sense of humour...

... and yes, I do realise that he'd have to be laid back and have a sense of humour to chat with me before the rest of you say it... <_<
[/quote]

To be fair to the rest of Fairport it was their sound guy that was being an arse about the rig they had hired off us. Though Allcock and the fiddle player were a bit stand-offish too. Dave was proper sound though.

[quote name='Lowender' timestamp='1359334433' post='1953316']
Has anyone mentioned Gary Thain? The song is pure Spinal Tap but Thain is smokin'!
[/quote]

One of my all time favourite players and a massive influence on me. I remember when I first heard the 1973 Uriah Heep live album... I was completely blown away by his bass playing.
It was a tragedy that he died so young. Just glad to see someone is keeping his memory alive at [url="http://www.garythain.com/"]http://www.garythain.com/[/url]

Edited by equalsql

[quote name='Dave Vader' timestamp='1359538143' post='1956170']
To be fair to the rest of Fairport it was their sound guy that was being an arse about the rig they had hired off us. Though Allcock and the fiddle player were a bit stand-offish too. Dave was proper sound though.
[/quote]

Ah.

There's nowt worse than two sound engineers having an argument, it makes PB v JB look positively tame. :D

[quote name='matski' timestamp='1359647822' post='1958198']
Nick Fyffe: ex-Jamiroquai. Some of his basslines are easily up there with Staurt Zender's and Paul Turner's.
[/quote]

Dare say there would be a few die hard Zender fans that would kill you for saying that! :D I liked Nick's playing, doesn't touch Zender for me personally but he was and is still a great player.