Why become a member? ×

Does anyone like their bass? Really?

lowdowner

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1349182895' post='1822883']
What always amazes me is that there are no bad basses out there. At least, there aren't any for sale. People only ever sell great instruments that they'd love to keep but can't afford to. No-one ever has a bad bass that they just don't like... :o
[/quote]

Yeh I have this theory also but thought I was being odd again.
I believe It's down to feel & taste. I have played basses that have been highly recommended to me that carry a high price tag but i've sat with one & it just didn't feel nice or right for me.
I also think that after a few years of use basses will become different from each other *
(Or am I talking poop?).

*Part of my theory is this:Two exact same bass guitars with two different owners, who have different postures, putting the basses through different flexural stress' in time, I believe the bass will become slightly different, add to this storage at different temperatures & also handling (Heavy handedness) surely after years like this the two bass' would become almost two different instruments altogether.

If this has any truth to it, all basses become totally individual & will give you either a good feeling or a bad one.

am i talking crap again ? because my fingers sometimes link directly to my brain & I am always worry about allowing my brain to communicate to the real world.

[quote name='fumps' timestamp='1349183960' post='1822910']
Yeh I have this theory also but thought I was being odd again.
I believe It's down to feel & taste. I have played basses that have been highly recommended to me that carry a high price tag but i've sat with one & it just didn't feel nice or right for me.
I also think that after a few years of use basses will become different from each other *
(Or am I talking poop?).

*Part of my theory is this:Two exact same bass guitars with two different owners, who have different postures, putting the basses through different flexural stress' in time, I believe the bass will become slightly different, add to this storage at different temperatures & also handling (Heavy handedness) surely after years like this the two bass' would become almost two different instruments altogether.

If this has any truth to it, all basses become totally individual & will give you either a good feeling or a bad one.

am i talking crap again ? because my fingers sometimes link directly to my brain & I am always worry about allowing my brain to communicate to the real world.
[/quote]

I suspect this is right.

For more 'classical' instruments - especially ones made of natural materials - they tend to match their owners as they are tuned, pushed, pulled, sweated on, tweaked, polished, stroked, and generally 'bonded' to the player.

I can't see why this wouldn't be true of an electric bass. I put heavy gauge strings on, keep it tuned by tuning every day, play it every day (making it warm and greasy every day), keep it in a cool barn in dim light that has occasional heating, but almost none. I have the action at a particular height etc. etc. It's made of wood and steel and it *must* be shaped by this individual behaviour until it's more part of me than i'd like to admit in polite company :0

Edited by lowdowner

I had years of owning 2-3 basses, of which at least one was generally under notice to quit.

Now I've got four, to which I have some sort of sentimental and/or practical attachment, and, though I keep looking, I don't see anything that interests me enough to spend money on. I actually find that unsettling, even a bit depressing. I suppose part of the fun was having something new turn up and seeing if it was any good. Probably why I don't subscribe to the "play it before you buy" mentality.

My first proper bass was an Aria Pro 2 in the 80's, when I returned to playing a couple of years ago I got myself an Ibanez GSR200 which I really liked, until I tracked down another 1980's Aria. After a bit of TLC, new pick ups and electrics, I was back in the groove and the Ibanez was sold. I have since bought a 5 string Fender Jazz which I love but always go back to my Aria, something about the feel of it more than anything else. Easy to play, the only bass that's ever felt like a part of me.

I may change the Fender in the future but the Aria is going nowhere, maybe a new paint job but that's about it. Hmmn Purple Sparkle anyone?

Edited by kendall

The pursuit of [b]the[/b] 'perfect' bass always makes me smile and wince at the same time.

I see people spending hundreds and hundreds (if not thousands) of £'s trying to emulate a particular sound but would be far better off getting to know their instrument better.

Give me Mark King's kit and 15 mins to set it up and I'd sound just like..... me.
Give Mark King my kit and the same 15 mins and he'd sound just like ..... Mark King.

At the risk of driving this topic into genital comparisons, it ain't what you've got, it's what you do with it that matters... :)

[quote name='kendall' timestamp='1349248059' post='1823712']
My first proper bass was an Aria Pro 2 in the 80's, when I returned to playing a couple of years ago I got myself an Ibanez GSR200 which I really liked, until I tracked down another 1980's Aria.[/quote]

I'm (mostly) an Ibanez user but I've still got an original Aria Pro II SB900 that I bought from new back in the 80's that I still use from time to time.

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1349302033' post='1824614']
The pursuit of [b]the[/b] 'perfect' bass always makes me smile and wince at the same time.

I see people spending hundreds and hundreds (if not thousands) of £'s trying to emulate a particular sound but would be far better off getting to know their instrument better.

Give me Mark King's kit and 15 mins to set it up and I'd sound just like..... me.
Give Mark King my kit and the same 15 mins and he'd sound just like ..... Mark King.

At the risk of driving this topic into genital comparisons, it ain't what you've got, it's what you do with it that matters... :)
[/quote]
Right....lets all compare genitals!

Does anyone like their genitals? Really?

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1349302033' post='1824614']
[/quote]

Your bass is a partner.
And, since you throw genitals in the mix, consider this: who would you like to play with (1) Gemma Arterton or (2) Jacqui Smith ?
Rightly or wrongly, I believe my enjoyment & resulting performance will be enhanced by playing with Gemma, not Jacqui.
I like the idea of doing stuff with the former, not the latter. So, I see a connection with what I have and what I can do.

Edited by BassPimp66

I currently own four Basses and have no intention of increasing the fold. However, if I still had my old Westone Raider I, which dire circumstance caused me to sell, over ten years ago, then I would probably still only have that one Bass. I loved it to bits and miss it like hell. Though, I have to admit, my Warlock is a much better Bass.

[quote name='BassPimp66' timestamp='1349303898' post='1824643']
Your bass is a partner.
And, since you throw genitals in the mix, consider this: who would you like to play with (1) Gemma Arterton or (2) Jacqui Smith ?
Rightly or wrongly, I believe my enjoyment & resulting performance will be enhanced by playing with Gemma, not Jacqui.
I like the idea of doing stuff with the former, not the latter. So, I see a connection with what I have and what I can do.
[/quote]

Jacqui looks like she'd be dirtier and more fun than Gemma, I'll have a go.... ;)

[quote name='BassPimp66' timestamp='1349303898' post='1824643']
Your bass is a partner.
[/quote]

Good point well made.

To extend the analogy, the brain may be seen as the message, the fingers the letter and the bass the messenger. So while the bass, or Royal Mail in this analogy, is carrying the message it also depends on an amplifier - a Transit van manufactured by the Ford Motor Company (or Ampeg, if you're still with the metaphor) - and an infrastructure such as the road network (an electricity supply) and a supporting crew of roadmenders and drivers (roadies and other technicians). Occasionally there may be a 'bum note' due to a fault with the brain, fingers or instrument (perhaps a minor road accident; maybe a loss of all crew in a marine catastrophe [broken string, if you will] or even a power cut {nervous breakdown on stage, elecrocution[though this rarely happens with modern instruments]})

The player's genitals, in this metaphor, may be represented by (contd. page 934)

Got a fantastic Thumb NT 5 and a Low End Jazz 5 but as I have now reverted to 4 strings these are never played. May even consider selling them.

I have a fantastic Roadworn Jazz in Fiesta Red which is the best Jazz I have played- amazing- so so good that I bought a Sunburst one but strangely enough they are quite different basses- the sunburst is great but the Fiesta Red one is amazing.