Why become a member? ×

Digital/Electronic Piano recommendations please

Old Horse Murphy

I am looking at purchasing a Digital/Electronic Piano (88 keys, full sized, weighted keys etc) but have no experience whatsoever when it comes to such things. I'm not interested in a whole host of sounds or millions of features; just something of a decent quality that sounds like a piano should (or as close as possible).

I don't mind new or used and my budget is just shy of say £850. If anyone has any recommendations they would be gratefully received :)

I was toying with getting one a while ago so did some reading on the subject, admittedly with no testing. The major names are all good choices, Roland, Korg, Yamaha etc but have a look at Classenti as well. They're a lesser known brand but seem to be very well regarded and their base model is within your budget, with change. My ex had a Yamaha Clavinova (can't remember the model name) in her lounge and it was a very nice piece of kit, the keys were lighter than a real piano but the sound was really nice and there were a few other instrument sounds in there too which were very limited but usable. The double bass sounds was pretty good, I think she dumped me because I wouldn't stop coming over and playing 'Love Cats' on it.

Try ukpianos.co.uk, they don't look a million miles away from Surrey and they might be able to give you some advice or let you run round testing whatever they've got in stock.

• 4 weeks later...

I've been in exactly the same situation, and just this week opted for a Yamaha P-95B. It's probably the cheapest 88-Key stage piano that you can get with a reasonable weighted action (I paid £480 inc free stand, stool and headphones), and while the response feels a bit heavy, it's far better than taking the 88-key midi controller route. The piano sound is reasonable enough, it's got a midi out so I'd always run it through a grand piano plug-in when recording.

The other option I considered that seemed to be reviewed quite well was the Korg SP250. It's a bit pricier at £599, but I think the key weighting system is a bit more advanced than the Yamaha.

With digital pianos, I think it comes down to the feel of the keyboard more than anything else; the piano sounds are all pretty good these days, and you always have the option of using other sounds via MIDI. Feel is a very personal matter, so I would urge you to try and get to play a few keyboards from the leading brands and see which suits you best.

• 4 weeks later...

I'd recommend the Korg SV1 secondhand - new they are about £1300 but can be found second hand. Amazing keybed, and the best rhodes/wurlitzers/clavs you can find. Lovely piano sounds too. Check out videos etc. Looks great too.

http://www.korg.com/sv1

• 1 month later...

[quote name='Mike' timestamp='1353690880' post='1877579']
I'd recommend the Korg SV1 secondhand - new they are about £1300 but can be found second hand. Amazing keybed, and the best rhodes/wurlitzers/clavs you can find. Lovely piano sounds too. Check out videos etc. Looks great too.

[url="http://www.korg.com/sv1"]http://www.korg.com/sv1[/url]
[/quote]

Great organ sounds too.

I've been lusting after one of these since I recently saw a band with one of these.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='Bassic' timestamp='1359847244' post='1961255']
I will be interested in how you get on and what one you end up getting

Been toying with the idea of a keyboard to help with my quest to learn music better
[/quote]

I'm glad I learnt my way round a piano keyboard, it comes in handy with a decent range of other instruments. I'm not a good player but I don't get daunted when someone suggests I play some glockenspiel or vibraphone on a song.

i don't play myself but have a friend who's very highly talented, and he's got a Korg SV1, it's a mightly impressive bit of kit, if you can get one with your budget then i'd say go for it, the sounds it is capable of are fantastic, my friend has sold most of the rest of his keyed instruments and has just got the sv1 and i think a Korg triton for making weird noises with, the sv1 is the one that gets taken to gigs though!

matt