Why become a member? ×

Slotted headstocks anyone?

s_u_y_*

Slotted headstocks... I think they look fantastic on basses. I just wonder why I hardly see any about. There are of course the lovely RIM Basses, and the rare Ampeg AEB and other variants. Also found a company called Eastwood doing Ampeg AEB replicas. This baby has got my GAS going I'll admit!

Any opinions?

RIM Basses

Ampeg AEB and fretless AUB

Eastwood replica

John,

when did you get the 4 HHp? that looks great.. what a terrific flame on the cap and lovin the colour :wub:

incidentally,who makes the piezo system on these? I'm very impressed with it through an ART Tube MP and into the PA.

great basses these Bolins!

Keir

[quote name='dub_junkie' post='191793' date='May 4 2008, 07:49 PM']John,

when did you get the 4 HHp? that looks great.. what a terrific flame on the cap and lovin the colour :wub:

incidentally,who makes the piezo system on these? I'm very impressed with it through an ART Tube MP and into the PA.

great basses these Bolins!

Keir[/quote]

Hi mate.

I got the 4 a few months ago, after having the 5 it just had to be ;)

The piezo is a Fishman unit and IIRC the bridges were designed/made by Fishman specifically for these basses. I have to say that they are one of the great undiscovered gems :) but lets keep that to ourselves :huh:

I use the piezo to just put a little bit of extra top zing through my rig but I am considering using it as a piezo only tone for a potentially new 'acoustic' project I may have coming off.
I'm sure you've already experimented but here is an image from the slip you get re. the piezo system. Obvious stuff but just in case...

thanks John, I asked as i havent had a peek under the bonnet so to speak and normally Fishman have their logo somewhere on the backplae or suchlike if its one of their regular systems. the piezo sounds fantastic and I love the tone of it solo'd without the EMG. plenty of "boing" in it. and the bass looks,feels and plays flat out cool (really nice tension and tone on the B string)

and yay! for slotted headstocks!

cheers