Why become a member? ×

Talented bassist wanted for Hendrix / Mayer style trio - KENT

mrawlins

Guitarist looking to form a serious power trio a la Hendrix, John Mayer trio etc.

I'm looking for a P or J (specifically) player with a vintage style rig and strong melodic blues sense. Hopefully a Noel Redding, Billy Cox, Pino Palladino, JPJ fan.

Planning to start with Hendrix and John Mayer Trio covers and take it from there. My aim is NOT to create a 60s tribute act, a wedding band or a local pub covers band. Just a very, very good power trio.

Please, no weekend warriors, slappers, and no Stingrays or Warwicks please. I am looking for an accomplished Fender Jazz or Precision player.

Thanks for reading, I hope to hear from you!

Martin

[url="http://www.martinrawlins.net"]www.martinrawlins.net[/url]

Edited by mrawlins

Best fun I ever had was with a Rory Gallagher trio tribute.

Used a beat up old Gherson jazz through lots of valves and a 1x15 cab. Lovely growly tone and loved playing around with dynamics and bouncing off the drummers ideas.

Hope your project takes off mate and if I was local I'd be jumping at the chance to do this sort of thing!

Truckstop

Edited by Truckstop

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1348615930' post='1816153']
Best fun I ever had was with a Rory Gallagher trio tribute.

Used a beat up old Gherson jazz through lots of valves and a 1x15 cab. Lovely growly tone and loved playing around with dynamics and bouncing off the drummers ideas.

Hope your project takes off mate and if I was local I'd be jumping at the chance to do this sort of thing!

Truckstop
[/quote]

That's exactly what I'm talking about!

Dr Stingray, I play a Strat for this. I also have a tele, a J45 and a Les Paul jr. (and a P bass) but I wouldn't dream of using those guitars for this, because they would be the wrong instruments for the job. I know Hendrix sometimes used other guitars but I am trying to go for certain aesthetic. I'm not going to wear fancy dress or set my guitar on fire, it is supposed to be about the playing which I certainly am trying to make authentic.

No age limit BTW. Pino is 54, doesn't bother John Mayer or the audiences.

Honestly I'm not trying to tell anyone what kind of instrument they should play, just that if you audition for this with a 5 string, fretless or a Warwick we are almost guaranteed to have incompatible ideas. I am speaking from experience and I want to narrow it down before we actually get to playing together.

Thanks a lot for all the encouragement as well guys, means a lot.

Edited by mrawlins

Your project sounds interesting but I may be a little too 'west' for you - I'm based near Heathrow but have a car. Have played in a few power trios, you can check out some blues playing on my myspace (yeap myspace!) http://www.myspace.com/bassdelafunk.
My pref for blues based music is a jazz or p bass which I've just purchased a '78. I use a Mesa Boogie 400+ through old hartke cabs.