Why become a member? ×

SOLD: Zon Sonus Special 4 - SOLD

KuzBass

Zon Sonus 4 Special
Graphite neck with phenowood fingerboard (no truss rod - I can't believe it is needed in this neck)
Bubinga top
Zon bridge
Swamp ash body
Bartolini pups
Zon pre-amp (some kind of custom variant based on their basic pre-amps)

SOLD

Edited by KuzBass

[quote name='Cairobill' timestamp='1348221641' post='1810983']
I had a five string fretless version of a Sonus Special. A very growly, In your face tone thanks to the pickups being pushed back towards the bridge. This is a great rock bass in my experience.
[/quote]

These Sonus Specials are so growly not just because of the pickup placement, but also because the pickups are specially wound solely for this model by Bartolini with a very pronounced emphasis in the lower midrange. The bubinga top also adds some natural compression to the sound.

The Sonus Special on the Zon site only has three knobs (vol, blend, stacked treble/bass), what is the fourth control knob on this one? Also what does it weigh?

Edited by ikay

[quote name='Enzo' timestamp='1348280505' post='1811912']
What's the nut width on this?
[/quote]

Zon modelled the overall neck profile of the Sonus on an early 60s Jazz Bass.

By the way, this model was never known as the Sonus Custom . The Custom has two humbuckers in regular positions ,like a Legacy Elite.

Dingus, thank you for the correct information! I will change the title to just Special when I'd have a chance to use the full editor on my computer.
ikay, the 4th control knob is a push/pull for midrange cut/boost (250/800 Hz I believe, correct me if I am wrong). The weight of this bass according my bath scale is about 3,9 - 4,0 kg.

[quote name='KuzBass' timestamp='1348293068' post='1811930']
The width at nut according my measurement is 39 mm, so I believe it is 1,532'[/quote]
[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1348323159' post='1812328']
Zon modelled the overall neck profile of the Sonus on an early 60s Jazz Bass.[/quote]

Thank you for the reply, I'm trying to stay away from jazz type necks as I always end up not liking them.
Too bad, this is one of the nicest Zon I've seen.

[quote name='Enzo' timestamp='1348373986' post='1812828']
Thank you for the reply, I'm trying to stay away from jazz type necks as I always end up not liking them.
Too bad, this is one of the nicest Zon I've seen.
[/quote]

If you get a chance to try one locally- there must surely be one in shop somewhere in the Chicago area - I would definitely give one a try before you give up on the idea. It's a really fantastic feeling neck, your aversion to Jazz Bass necks not withstanding. Try giving Bass Club Chicago a call , maybe.

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1348379293' post='1812833']
If you get a chance to try one locally- there must surely be one in shop somewhere in the Chicago area - I would definitely give one a try before you give up on the idea. It's a really fantastic feeling neck, your aversion to Jazz Bass necks not withstanding. Try giving Bass Club Chicago a call , maybe.
[/quote]

That's a good idea, I haven't been there yet.

[quote name='KuzBass' timestamp='1349354080' post='1825155']

Thank you! Sometimes a bump and the kind words are better than anything else! :)
I think I know what fretless Zon in Bass Gear you mean, I had my eye on it, but never dared to contact them. Actually I'd like to visit Bass Gear one day, I've heard many good comments about them from fellow BCers.
In fact two great friends of mine (both are musicians, and sorry to say - guest workers) live nowadays in Tunbridge Wells, one of them is coming back home for few days this month, so I may easily arrange this Zon to be in Tunbridge Wells in the last days of October :)
[/quote]
Well Phil at Bass Gear is a top chap, I visited (after meeting him through a purchase from molan) when he still had the showroom in Harrogate, I need to check out the new store - they've always got some killer pre-owned in stock, you should check it out!
Seriously if the Zon ends up in or near Tunbridge Wells, please let me know I would love to check it out! If it plays anything like the fretless I played, I'll be in bass heaven - I imagine with the p'ups where they are, it's got a funky ass tone! :)