Why become a member? ×

So I want to start playing double bass...

davewarwickbass

Hey guys, hows it going?
After much consideration and convincing myself I have decided its time I got myself a double bass.
My question to you guys is what bass should I get?
I have seen the sales section on the site and there are a few that take my fancy however I would like to get some friendly and helpful advice from you guys first!
Cheers in advance!
Dave

I've been in their showroom (it's only a mile or so from my house) to try these basses and they are basically unplayable. You would need to get a luthier to set it up properly for you and put some decent strings on it at least, so expect to add a minimum of £150 on to that price. I would just avoid them altogether if I were you and look at Thomann's budget basses instead. Or used stuff on this here forum.

Get a secondhand one for about 6-800 quid that's all set up it'll save you a fortune. Or get one of the thomann ones or the gedo music ones and spend a couple of hundred getting them set up.mif you buy one of the cheap ones you'll spend miles more getting it playable and it'll still sound rubbish......

I know a fair number of bass players who have "tried" playing a DB, i.e. just had a go on someone else's, and walked away thinking "not for me".

On the other hand, I don't know a single bass player who has actually bought/owned a DB and not ended up getting completely hooked on the damned thing. :D

My point? If you're actually buying one, then you may as well get a good one straight away (I said "[i]good[/i]", not necessarily expensive) because you're going to be spending a lot of time up close & personal with it.

Clarky's right about Rayman's IMHO.

Enjoy!

Rent one from your Local Council... My coucil charge £40 a year if you live in Kent or £80 if you're outside! At the very least you'll know weather this is the right route for you!
otherwise Thwaites in Bushey rent one at around £35 - 50 a month which is what I did for the first 6 months! Until I sold my Ken smith and amps...
But I wouldn't buy a cheap instrument... not worth time or hassle! Also the insurance is like £2 a month with Thwaites and if a string breaks or anything you take it in for repairs and pick it up when its ready!!! Hassle free :)

i bought one of these this January [url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/thomann_kontrabass_1_e_blueburst.htm"]http://www.thomann.d...e_blueburst.htm[/url]
& couldn't be happier with it,i certainly don't want or need anything better.
everyone who's played it has liked it too & it sounds rather good too.

as mentioned above steer clear of the Gear4music basses they are bloody awful.

Edited by artisan

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1348209480' post='1810748']
Russ (username Rayman) is selling an old (1950s?) ply bass which looks a great starter for just £350 [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/186613-old-european-double-bass/"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/186613-old-european-double-bass/[/url]
[/quote]

+1 looks like a great deal.

[quote name='FLoydElgar' timestamp='1348213154' post='1810788']
Rent one from your Local Council... My coucil charge £40 a year if you live in Kent or £80 if you're outside! At the very least you'll know weather this is the right route for you!

[/quote]

Is this available for adults not in formal education?

Hey, well done on taking the plunge; you'll never regret it. :) +1 to all the above suggestions, especially a couple of lessons.

As for books, I found Rufus Reid's 'the evolving bassist' a great place to start because he begins concentrating on the right hand with open strings. That right hand takes some working up compared to bg, and it's right to concentrate on that fro a while. A good place to start reading too, if you don't already. After that, Micheal Moore's 'bass Method' is a well constructed intro and manages not to be too boring.

At the risk of being controversial, if you want to start gigging your bass quickly, while not impeding your future progress, I would say avoid Simandl like the plague; he'll kill your soul, waste large tracts of your life, and you still won't be able to improvise. Unfortunately lots of bass teachers seem dedicated to him.

If you currently use a pivoting thumb technique with the electric, then consider devising some variant of the Rabbath technique. Check out these, well worth watching:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54pMdTCmo8g[/media]

Unfortunately, nobody with the slightest idea of how to structure a learning programme or make an instructional video has effectively systematised Rabbath's method. Rabbath's 'Art of the Left Hand' video, while being outrageously priced, is next to useless from a learning point of view (but always a joy to listen to and watch the man himself, of course). An attempt by Vance ('Progressive Repertoire') to represent the Rabbath method doesn't come near to explaining it, and I'll be honest and say i just refuse point blank to play 'Twinkle, twinkle little star'. No, I'm just not going to do it. Not ever. Not even in private.

I'm going to get into trouble for this, i just know it, but abandoning Simandl was the best thing I ever did. Starting with him nearly broke my spirit and just would not connect with anything I knew about bass playing. :D

Well, whatever you choose, nothing will prepare you for how happy you'll be after your first gig with the big beast. That's for sure. :)

Edited by fatback

[quote name='davewarwickbass' timestamp='1348263968' post='1811757']
Thanks for the advice guys, I picked up the bass Russ was selling today and had a dabble for a couple of hours before having to go to work, I am absolutely hooked now!
Any body got any links to must read books and lessons on youtube etc etc?
[/quote]

Glad you got Russ' bass it used to be mine! It's got a lot of history and was a regular on the scene here in Lancaster, good luck with it but be warned you will get hooked!

http://m.youtube.com/results?q=how%20to%20drive%20a%20double%20bass

Try the above - its geared towards classical styles but gives good tips on holding the bass and posture, etc. it's also very engaging and nice to see a presenter who doesn't take himself too seriously! Enjoy.