Why become a member? ×

Sometime World - Wishbone Ash

SpanishBass

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1347958682' post='1807040']
Are there any decent music books for WA with good bass transcriptions? I don't recall seeing one and though I've tried to work out a few bits of some of their songs it would be nice to have something more definitive.
[/quote]I was in contact with a guy who was doing the transcriptions for a book some years back. It was all done and ready to go but then Andy Powell apparently had some issues and it never happened.

I've seen both versions of WA and whilst the AP version is very good, MT's tone is just so right. Not just my opinion either, 3 of my pals who used to be in a WA tribute have also said this.

[quote name='musophilr' timestamp='1347983517' post='1807662']
If that's the guy with the Gibson semi (339?) who made a very commendable job of the solo in Living Proof at the Ipswich Regent one or two autumns ago, I want his job - and his guitar!
[/quote]
My guitarist (Danny Willson, stage left) usually plays his Vintage (yes, the cheap guitar brand) semi-acoustic telecaster-like thing with MTWA because it's light weight for travelling. He's also been known to play a Gibson 335 occasionally, or a battered old 70s strat, or a PRS. The other guitarist (Ray Hatfield, stage right) invariably plays a strat - I've not seen him use anything else. Danny's been with them for several years - and yes, he is a bit tasty.

If you look at their website, they recently had a [url="http://www.wishboneash.co.uk/news/2012-9-1-1228.aspx?newsID=536"]big reunion[/url], with pretty much every past member there except for Andy Powell.

If you want Martin Turner's opinions on Andy, I'd suggest you get hold of a copy of his autobiography "No Easy Road" - although he's suprisingly philosophical about recent issues and has not 'closed the door' to ever playing with him again

[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1348004536' post='1808122']
I was in contact with a guy who was doing the transcriptions for a book some years back. It was all done and ready to go but then Andy Powell apparently had some issues and it never happened.
[/quote]

Well if it's never going to get published persuade him to knock up some GuitarPro files then ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting stuff, I have never listened to any WA before, not sure why, bit before my time maybe? We are supporting the Andy Powell WA in Oct @ the cheese & grain in Frome, Somerset. Was looking forward to it (our biggest gig of year) but now Really looking forward to it! Ace!

I saw The Boners (?!?) in 1980 something, Lancaster Uni, on the Number The Brave tour. Unfortunately it was just after Martin Turner had left, so I saw them with Trevor Boulder (ex Bowie) on bass.

I've been a fan for a long time, and IMO, Pilgrimage is still the best album.

[quote name='Rayman' timestamp='1348766099' post='1817965']
Pilgrimage is still the best album.
[/quote]

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1348772741' post='1818083']
Pilgrimage was the first album I ever bought!:-)
[/quote]

Ahh, Pilgrimage... wasn't that a jazz album?

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ia73dAETiGk"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ia73dAETiGk[/url]

B)

WA will not sound the same without Steve Upton irrespective of whoever else is present from the older lineups. I've seen various lineups including the first two. Years later, I saw what was cracked up to be the original, but Steve Upton wasn't there (Powell, Turner & Turner were) and It was good, but not the same :huh:

It was very interesting to read your comment about Steve Upton, Musophilr! I think he's a great drummer too! I had the privilege of playing bass in Ted McKenna's band ,McKenna's Gold, for two years, so I know a good drummer when I hear one! I particularly love his drumming on 'So Many Things To Say' (Wishbone Four). Fabulous!

Edited by SpanishBass

[quote name='SpanishBass' timestamp='1349041449' post='1821114']
It was very interesting to read your comment about Steve Upton, Musophilr! I think he's a great drummer too! I had the privilege of playing bass in Ted McKenna's band ,McKenna's Gold, for two years, so I know a good drummer when I hear one! I particularly love his drumming on 'So Many Things To Say' (Wishbone Four). Fabulous!
[/quote]

I'm not skilled enough to say what it is about Mr Upton's work that makes him so distinctive*, but I do believe he's seriously under-rated.

* Sir Thomas Beecham once said: "The English know little about music, but they love the noise that it makes" ;)