Why become a member? ×

Wakeman is a 'Prog God' - Official!

flyfisher

[quote name='visog' timestamp='1346964798' post='1795540']
Don't forget his band mates who were pretty progtastic also...

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RA_wEnOVWcQ&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RA_wEnOVWcQ&feature=related[/url]

Bass goodness starts at 2:42
[/quote]can't get this to work, is it left handed lee on bass?

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1346959529' post='1795429']
I wonder if it's now fashionable to reveal that among my vinyl collection are The Six Wives Of Henry VIII, Journey ToThe Centre Of The Earth and The Myths And Legends Of King Arthur And The Knights Of The Round Table?
[/quote]

Yep, got all of those. :lol:

Saw him mid-70's when he was out with the (so-called) English Rock Ensemble. Great player and a filthy sense of humour, too.

Fair point about Camel and Focus (probably my favourite prog band also). I reckon it's because 'prog' became synonymous with extravagant production, as epitomised by Rick Wakeman and hence his 'Prog God' award.

Focus, on the other hand, was all about the music - and bloody good it was too! [size=2] (IMHO, other opinions are available, terms and conditions apply)[/size]

I had his Criminal Record and I think my brother had the others you have listed (I have certainly heard them a lot somewhere). Rock/Prog Music was a lot more interesting then than it has been 'post Punk'. I like what Punk stood for but the music it spawned has been 'kin terrible :lol: I haven't really looked at the Spock's Beard/modern Prog bands so maybe I should. There is just so much good jazz out there.

[quote name='visog' timestamp='1346965910' post='1795555']
No, LP is a hired gun. This guy invented a whole style of bass playing.
[/quote]

Lee's currently playing in a band with Adam Wakeman (Rick's son) doing some rather decent metal-tinged prog - they're called Headspace. Take a listen at http://www.headspaceonline.com/ .

[quote name='Oopsdabassist' timestamp='1347009716' post='1795869']
Focus 3 is STILL on my essential ipod playlist, anonymus 2 is just awe inspiring!
[/quote]

You're my Prog God for all eternity - Official!
Imagine you correctly spelled that "anonymus"!
Presumably you're even a Brit.

[quote name='dmz' timestamp='1347045325' post='1796479']
I feel the same about Live at the Rainbow. Jan Akkermans playing just sends me !
[/quote]

You said it! One solo is even soo inspired it's guitar heaven. Can't remember which one. May be one of the Anonymi.

best,
bert