Why become a member? ×

Amp for acoustic jams

Dr M

Essentially, I'm looking for a little amp appropriate for lugging to a mate's house for acoustic jams. It's most likely going to be chucked on to trains, the tube, and under my desk at work, so I'm looking for something pretty small and lightweight. I'm not expecting anything that fits this bill to have a tone to die for - but some bass end would be nice, and it will need to be able to compete with an acoustic guitar and vocals.

The Vox Pathfinder 10 Bass appeals - it's cheap, less than 7kg and I've read those 2x5" speakers actually offer a half decent bass response. Is there anything else out there that I should keep an eye out for?

And I'm open to suggestions if anyone has something that meets this description that they're trying to flog. :P

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1346837188' post='1793755']
You don't mention budget, but a PJB Briefcase would fit the bill, although heavier than the Vox
[url="http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/bass_amps_detail.asp?stock=05080113052818"]http://www.guitargui...=05080113052818[/url]
[/quote]

Sorry, I thought that the fact the Vox is currently my first choice would make it obvious that I was looking at the practice amp end of the spectrum! The PJ Briefcase is rather more than I'd want to spend on something that's quite likely to get kicked around.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1346838168' post='1793769']
There's a GK MB150S in the FS section.

That'll have the best tone for a small amp.
[/quote]

I think 100W is probably complete overkill for playing while sitting in the front room of a friend's flat. I don't need anything that can compete in a full band situation.

To be clear, what I had in mind was a small practice amp - something like the Vox Pathfinder, an Ashdown Tourbus, or one of the smaller Laney RB series. Something that'll give me more volume than just playing an electric bass acoustically, but not something I'm going to get upset about beating up on the escalators to the Northern Line!

Sorry, I'm not familiar with the Vox, I just went on your description.

A bit leftfield, but when I practice at home, I plug into the aux on my dab radio (Pure Oasis) The sound is not bad at all, it's obviously very portable (built in rechargeable battery too) can really take a knocking/getting wet, and is by no means loud, but certainly louder than unplugged, and possibly loud enough to accompany an acoustic guitar/vocals. Got mine for less than a hundred quid.

[quote name='Zenitram' timestamp='1346841093' post='1793823']
I would suggest the Vox Pathfinder, an Ashdown Tourbus, or one of the smaller Laney RB series.
[/quote]

I guess I asked for that.

More specifically, does anyone have any experience with amps of this type? Any to avoid like the plague? Any that stand head and shoulder above the rest?

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1346840921' post='1793816']
Sorry, I'm not familiar with the Vox, I just went on your description.

A bit leftfield, but when I practice at home, I plug into the aux on my dab radio (Pure Oasis) The sound is not bad at all, it's obviously very portable (built in rechargeable battery too) can really take a knocking/getting wet, and is by no means loud, but certainly louder than unplugged, and possibly loud enough to accompany an acoustic guitar/vocals. Got mine for less than a hundred quid.
[/quote]

Buy an amp, and get a built in dab. :P

Cheers, that's an interesting suggestion.

[quote name='Dr M' timestamp='1346839733' post='1793797']
....I think 100W is probably complete overkill for playing while sitting in the front room of a friend's flat.....
[/quote]

No overkill. You have a volume control. At low volume the additional headroom will improve your tone well beyond what a practice amp can manage.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1346838168' post='1793769']
There's a GK MB150S in the FS section.

That'll have the best tone for a small amp.
[/quote]

+1 from me - they have an amazing tone, loads of controls, easy-ish to lug about (compact, but not featherweight) and a built-in chorus for added fun

A pocket rocket amp-nerd fest :lol:

I used to use a Vox Venue 30 Bass. Weighs heavier than my MB 2x10 combo, but was about 1/3 of the size with a single 12" driver.
I even did a few gigs with the wee thing & it coped (just). Would maybe suit your needs if the weight isn't too much of an issue.

Out of the small amps I`ve used, the two I`d recommend based on sound are the Ampeg BA-108, which I`ve got, and the Fender Rumble - think it was either the 15 or 25. The Ampeg sounds just like your typical Ampeg, the Fender had really nice full low tones. Both easy enough to cart about, and at 25 watts, plenty loud enough for an acoustic set.

Something around the 25 to 35W range will be fine. It's amazing what cheap new amps are available if you can't get second hand.

I bought this amp second hand in the local paper. It's ok and is fine for what it is. The trolley is of course optional.

[attachment=117617:Practice Amp.jpg]