Why become a member? ×

NAD: Ashdown Mi12

njr911

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1358094854' post='1932994']
Ask [b]Doddy[/b], who has also commented on this topic. He's been using the MiBass550 and Mi12 for some time now. He seems pretty chuffed with the setup.
[/quote]
Indeed I am.

[quote name='Jehvoz' timestamp='1357999968' post='1931618']
Would you say your set up with one Mi12 is more than enough in the grunt department for the kind of gigs you've just done? Or is everything maxed out?
[/quote]
I've been using the rig in a lot of different situations and it gets loud,but the MiBass rig has handled everything fine.
I generally run the master volume and gain at about halfway and have the EQ flat or with a slight mid boost.It's worked
great with the Upright and Synth too as well as with a heavily effected 5 string. It has no problem cutting through a guitar
based band or through an 8 piece horn band.

[quote name='eude' timestamp='1358016212' post='1931952']
I'd still love to see some pics of this gear too... :(
[/quote]
I've got a one or two pics on Facebook/Twitter/Instagram,taken a month or so ago,with the rig behind me if you
want a look.

[quote name='Doddy' timestamp='1358100542' post='1933143']
I've got a one or two pics on Facebook/Twitter/Instagram,taken a month or so ago,with the rig behind me if you
want a look.
[/quote]

Would love to see 'em matey, only ever seen the stock Ashdown product photos...

Cheers,
Eude

[quote name='RandomBass' timestamp='1358101111' post='1933155']
Doddy - does the Mi12 have feet on two sides? The pictures Ive seen show them on the long side - just wondered if they were on the short side under the port too?

Cheers

Geoff
[/quote]
Yeah,it's got feet on the side opposite the handle and under the port so you can place/stack them
horizontally or vertically.[quote name='eude' timestamp='1358101566' post='1933160']
Would love to see 'em matey, only ever seen the stock Ashdown product photos...

Cheers,
Eude
[/quote]

Ok...hope this works.

Here's a couple from about early december.....

Basic setup- http://instagram.com/p/RDgInonzVy/

In the background while playing synth- https://twitter.com/pauladamsbass/status/280388310130647040/photo/1

Thanks Doddy

That looks like a really neat setup, I must say. I tried a Mibass 550 a while ago but didnt get on with it. However, I'm prepeared to give it another shot (I may have got a Friday afternoon jobbie), and love the look of the pairing.

Couple more questions for you... what is the tweeter like? Hissy? Clear? Adjustable attenutation? And what speaker connections does it use?

Geoff

[quote name='RandomBass' timestamp='1358107696' post='1933316']
Couple more questions for you... what is the tweeter like? Hissy? Clear? Adjustable attenutation? And what speaker connections does it use?
[/quote]
The horn is nicely voiced-it's clear but and not harsh (I don't know the actual technical specs).It doesn't have adjustable
attenuation but I don't think that it's really needed.It's dead quiet too with no hiss (that I've noticed anyway).
The connection is either jack or Speakon (I always use the Speakon).
[quote name='eude' timestamp='1358108917' post='1933342']
Thanks Doddy, that's such a cool mini rig of doom :)
[/quote]
Thanks. It also fits in the boot of my car without dropping the back seats :)

[quote name='jackers' timestamp='1358644142' post='1942865']
that looks...alarmingly simple... :S one of the things I like most about the MiBass was the sweep-able frequencies, along with the hi and lo mid controls. Will have to see what they have done to it.
[/quote]

Yes, I agree, it looks like it's been simplified for dummies. I have to say, that because there was no manual with my amp or downloadable online, it took me a while to figure out the semi parametric way the amp worked. But once I did I loved it. Why simplify it? All they need is a decent instruction manual.

Edited by gjones

• 1 month later...

[quote name='basskit_case' timestamp='1362442600' post='1999980']
Currently trying out a 550, but have no instructions, does anybody have a link to a pdf? I have checked the ashdown site and the download page for manuals is nearly empty.
[/quote]

It's a pain that Ashdown don't seem to have a manual for the MiBass that I can find. The preamp on the MiBass is semi parametric on the LO MID, HI MID and TREBLE (which took me a while to figure out). Make sure the pre shape button and the deep buttons aren't pressed in but make sure the EQ button is pressed in (as this switches on the preamp). The rotary knobs are used to pick a frequency for the LO MID, HI MID and TREBLE and the sliders either boost or cut that frequency. I don't think the bass slider is affected by the parametric knobs and just adds or cuts bass frequencies (although I'm happy to be corrected here if I'm wrong). It's a very precise EQ and allows you to dial in a lot of different sounds.

Edited by gjones

Thanks for the info, I have been dabbling over the last few days and seem to be getting to grips with it slowly.

Don't know if anybody can help me with a question related to the redlight on the VU meter, what does it signify, is it clipping notification? Should I ran the amp so the light doesnt come on at all or just on the lower/louder notes?

[quote name='basskit_case' timestamp='1362646436' post='2002513']
Thanks for the info, I have been dabbling over the last few days and seem to be getting to grips with it slowly.

Don't know if anybody can help me with a question related to the redlight on the VU meter, what does it signify, is it clipping notification? Should I ran the amp so the light doesnt come on at all or just on the lower/louder notes?
[/quote]

It's supposed to indicate that the amp is clipping but I've been told ashdown VU meters are pretty inaccurate and the best thing to do is use your ears. If it doesn't sound like it's distorting then you can ignore the red light.

• 2 months later...

[quote name='basskit_case' timestamp='1368019067' post='2072093']
Hello, I have the 550 head and Mi12 cab. I am interested in adding another cab, should I go for another Mi12 or would a Mi10 be worth a look?

Thanks
[/quote]

The Mi10 is, rather foolishly in my opinion, a 4 Ohm cab, so as far as I'm aware you won't be able to run it with the 8 Ohm Mi12 cab as it would draw the whole 4 Ohm load on its own. Your only option would be another Mi12 Cab, and that's not a bad one, I think that would make for an awesome and very flexible set up!

Eude

[quote name='eude' timestamp='1368019395' post='2072097']
The Mi10 is, rather foolishly in my opinion, a 4 Ohm cab, so as far as I'm aware you won't be able to run it with the 8 Ohm Mi12 cab as it would draw the whole 4 Ohm load on its own. Your only option would be another Mi12 Cab, and that's not a bad one, I think that would make for an awesome and very flexible set up!

Eude
[/quote]

Thanks Eude, assumed the cabs were the same ohmage, does seem a strange decision.

[quote name='basskit_case' timestamp='1368020086' post='2072112']
Thanks Eude, assumed the cabs were the same ohmage, does seem a strange decision.
[/quote]

Yeah, I find it a very silly decision, I guess they're going for a super portable option when running a MiBass head, perfect for double bass players etc.
If I was Ashdown I'd have made it available at 4 and 8 Ohms, as some folks might want to run a 2 x 1x10 stack with their heads.

Anyway, I'd go for 2 x Mi12 Cabs, you're giving me Ashdown GAS...

Eude