Why become a member? ×

RetroVIBE basses - I don't need one but...

mcnach

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1347113650' post='1797109']
I considered it, but I got used to front-mounted jacks after playing 2-band Stingrays/OLPs for a few years... and I kind of like it there now.

I think the extended pickguard looks more "balanced".
[/quote]

I have no problem with front mounted jacks, just thought this one looks a bit close to two of the controls, especially if you're going to put active stuff in there.

Agreed about the extended pickguard.

[quote name='Darkstrike' timestamp='1347114524' post='1797116']
I have no problem with front mounted jacks, just thought this one looks a bit close to two of the controls, especially if you're going to put active stuff in there.
[/quote]

oh, I see!

You are right, it does look a little bit too close, but it has not been a problem when I've been playing with it. I'm ok with that.

Now I'm thinking that if I make a new pickguard, I might as well bring the neck pickup down a bit, towards "Jazz neck" territory, which also makes it easier for me to slap/pop.

So much entertainment from one bass... and that's before I even take it out to gigs!!! :lol:

Indeed :)

I think I'll leave the neck pickup where it is. Less hassle. It's easy to adapt the slap technique to having a pickup in the way.

I just contacted our Bass Doc with views to getting the pickguard made, and also David at ProBass to see whether he'd be willing to contribute (it'll save both of us hassle shipping basses, it will ensure I do keep the bass rather than returning it, and he does not have a bass in stock that he'd have to take care of before selling it again).
It was hard to refrain myself from installing the SD preamp already!!! But I need to wait until the basics are sorted.

That bridge pickup is one loud mother... humbucker!
Just being adjusting its height and once again I'm amazed at how much of a difference it makes when you alter it. I brought the whole pickup down, and then angled it to get the E-string side a bit lower still, and it has improved the general tone noticeably.

No, it's not going to be my #1 bass, but this is going to be a sweet one.

Result!

David says that if I am happy with keeping the bass, he'll treat it as a "second" and issue a partial refund accordingly, which will more than cover the cost of the pickguard. So it looks like this is my bass :)
Still haven't heard from the 'Doc'... hopefully he will make the pickguard.

See, this is the trouble with forums like this.
I've been slimming down my arsenal and was looking at the seven left (still trying to slim due to getting a Variax) and realised they were all rosewood necks, I was quietly thinking to myself 'do I need a maple neck', almost to the point of starting a thread to find out others preferences for maple or rosewood, and then I read this thread.
That green one is as sexy as they come and I'm getting strong urges and finding it hard to resist.

Help!

[quote name='Maude' timestamp='1347218288' post='1798204']
See, this is the trouble with forums like this.
I've been slimming down my arsenal and was looking at the seven left (still trying to slim due to getting a Variax) and realised they were all rosewood necks, I was quietly thinking to myself 'do I need a maple neck', almost to the point of starting a thread to find out others preferences for maple or rosewood, and then I read this thread.
That green one is as sexy as they come and I'm getting strong urges and finding it hard to resist.

Help!
[/quote]

"Resistance is futile"

just embrace the GAS :P

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1347275177' post='1798609']
I don't like the extended pickguard at all---the stock version is much better...

...but then, its not my bass :lol:
[/quote]

what do you know, anyway? You let go a wonderful black Jazz bass!!! :P

[quote name='S9_S12_Bass' timestamp='1347279043' post='1798698']
Good to know they are being helpful, any news yet on if your scratch plate can be made?
[/quote]

Very helpful. I really have no reservations about dealing with them.

the Bass Doc says it's doable provided I can give the right instructions etc. He very rightfully said that if the new plate was not going to fit perfectly, it would defeat the reason why I want it made in the first place.

So last night I traced the plate, made a few measurements and annotations and drew what the new one should be like.
I want to make a photocopy and use it to verify my measurements are all good before sending the plans away... but I forgot about it this morning.
If I don't forget again, I will make the copy tomorrow and use it to verify fit in the evening. If all good, I'll send away the original pickguard plus the new plans. If it's not quite right, I'll modify the plans and repeat. Until I get it just right.
I thought it would be much better to be able to provide a trace of what the final one should be like, rather than just give measurements etc. So it should be doable.

Single ply black, like the original.

[quote name='police squad' timestamp='1346575042' post='1790608']
I had the RV4. It looked like a rickenbacker with music man pickups.
It was an excellent bass. I used it in a Jam tribute band while I was depping for them.
Sold it recently. Very hard to sell as that annoying bloke ( I won't bother to name check him, he doesn't deserve it) from rickenbacker kept getting my ad pulled from ebay.
But the new ones do look interesting. Familiar but different
[/quote]Sorry to harp back on this, but on what grounds was he getting it pulled? Based on the note in the For Sale forum the registered marks are the headstock design, name and nameplate design, NOT the body shape apparently.

Funnily enough having already seen these here when the previous batch went up for sale, the drummer in my proggy lot sent me an email re these after we have been talking about "The Bass We Dare Not Name"

[quote name='WalMan' timestamp='1347341190' post='1799472']
Sorry to harp back on this, but on what grounds was he getting it pulled? Based on the note in the For Sale forum the registered marks are the headstock design, name and nameplate design, NOT the body shape apparently.

Funnily enough having already seen these here when the previous batch went up for sale, the drummer in my proggy lot sent me an email re these after we have been talking about "The Bass We Dare Not Name"
[/quote]

Ebay wouldn't give me the exact reason.
But my last ad didn't mention his stupid company name, nor was there pictures of the headstock or full body outline.
The man is an arse.
A £200 pound copy will not affect his company.
In fact if he had any sense at all he would start making his own range like Squier, epihone et al.
We'd all like a cheap but properly licensed copy.
Silly, silly man. (I've got no time for him, can you tell)

While I think that Mr Hall's stance on 70s copies is way over the top, and really he should be concentrating his efforts on stopping new copies being produced, but that seems like too much hard work compared with getting eBay to pull a handful of listings each week. His stance on an official Rickenbacker budget line is IMO completely justified.

If you want a Rickenbacker bass then save up and buy a Rickenbacker bass. They are relatively complex instruments to make and trying to do it cheaper is never going to be any good. There was also an interview with Mr Hall in Guitar and Bass Magazine in the last year or so where he stated his reasons for not producing a budget line - all very reasonable IMO.

Squiers work because the Fender instruments were always designed to be able to be produced cheaply and easily by relatively unskilled workers. Epiphones OTOH for the most part are poor imitations of what Gibson guitars should be. Oour guitarist has a new Epiphone Firebird, but it has little in common with the Gibson guitar it is named after. My no-name 70s Japanese copy looks, feels and sounds more like a Gibson.

Well, my modified trace would work:

so it's time to get it done.

Just for fun... I thought this would be nice, if the control cavity were at the back :)

That's an OLP pickguard, which doesn't quite match the Stingray regarding pickup placement, but it doesn't work too bad here... in case you are curious.

[quote name='Darkstrike' timestamp='1347389734' post='1800194']
It really does work.

Just add a Sterling or G&L control layout, and it'd be the king of mind**** basses.
[/quote]

Ha ha :lol: brilliant!!!

Now I want to buy another to transform it this way! :lol:
(not really... but.. hmmm... I like that!. plug the hole, refinish... ;))

[quote name='S9_S12_Bass' timestamp='1347398778' post='1800404']
Then you would have one even more unique bass!
[/quote]

at this rate I'd need a new house to keep them all!

at first it was "it's ok, as long as they all fit in my 7-space guitar rack".

Then it was "ok, and there may be a bit of overflow, in the corners".

Now it's "as long as they all fit in my music room".

It's getting dangerously crowded already! :lol:

edit: besides... I'm not great at doing these involved projects. I start things all too easily but have difficulty finishing them. I just want to play, not work so much on them! :P

Edited by mcnach

Did someone mention pick guards!!! :D

It is quit a bit of work to cover the front but not too difficult. Cut a ledge around the cavity you want to fill and plug with 4mm ply. Either fill with grain filler and respray or veneer the whole front for a guaranteed no gap finish. One advantage you have is that black binding. Mask up to that and paint the front a different colour. That Ray PG looks way better than the other options.

OR

You could do a 'Burns' style and have two or three seperate PG sections to cover all the bits!!! You also have the added bonus of incorperating another marque into the mix ;) [b][i]Rayburnfenderbacker [/i][/b] :blink:

A