Why become a member? ×

100w Combo's advice

Danielh

[size=4][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Hi Guys[/font][/size]

[size=4][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Looking at downsizing from Mag 300 head and x4 Cab to a smaller combo. I've been looking at[/font][/size]

[b] [size=4][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][b]Ashdown Five Fifteen ABM100 1x15 Combo,[/b] are they any good? and can you recommend any other smaller 100 w combo's?[/font][/size][/b]

Not sure if a 100 watt combo would cut it in a band situation - though depends on type of band I suppose - but having the Ampeg BA108, and being very pleased with it, I`d check out the BA115. There`s one up for grabs on here at present, at I think, £150.

I've got an older 100W Ashdown Five Fifteen and, like Loz says, mine wouldn't work for me in a band situation - but I guess that rather depends what sort of band it is.
It sounds OK at low-ish volume, but soon runs out of steam if I start cranking it. (That's fine though for what I want it for. I bought it cheap from here just as something to have kicking around the house for practicing with)

I did have a play with a 1x15 Hartke combo a while back - one of the "kickback" ones, possibly an A100 but I'm not 100% sure - which I thought was fantastic. Retained its punch at higher volume than my Ashdown...still not sure I'd want to gig with it though.

Thanks guys, basically my situation is that, i'm no longer in a band but still want to practice in the house. I was finding that because of size, weight and storage I'd stopped playing as it was not that easy to get the head/cab out in the house. So I'm looking for a smaller piece of kit that would be ideal to play and practice with but to give me enough should I play in a band situation again. I play in bands playing rootsy rock n roll/folky indie stuff, so not sure I need something huge anyway. Any other ideas would be gratefully received.

I can't recommend the Ibanez Promethean enough. 500 watts of power on tap from a detachable head, all housed in 1x10 combo unit. Brilliant bit of kit. It would seem this might now be discontinued, but there's a copy available from RedSub that retails for £300! Reviews seem very positive indeed and it's comparable to the Promethean from all accounts.

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/168416-another-promethean-clone/page__fromsearch__1
http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/RedSub-BT5110-500W-Bass-Amp/C61

A shameless plug but I'm selling a Gallien Krueger MBS-III combo. Its tiny so it'll sit in the corner or your room out of the way. Its 100w on its own or you can buy the matching cab to give the full 150W or you can plug it into the cab(s) of your choice by disconnecting the internal speaker. Even comes with its own bag for carrying around.

Be careful with low powered combos that you buy with a view to gig at some point possibly.

I normally use the studio Ashdown MAG 15 type which is borderline ok soundwise with a bit of tweaking, for a rehearsal..but it was broken so the
only thing available was a 100 HH 15 combo. Now, I understand that these combos get a caning, but jeez, what a pile of pooh..!!
I needed to get some volume out of it and it was pretty much unusable and the EQ was woeful.

So, normally I would say TE are decent value but if they are tired old units then you need to know you can use it ...
A 100w wound up is a hard trick for these units these days...
I suggest Markbass 102 combo for a band at reasonable volume...as it is light and decent sounding and it will cost you £600 ish SH...

I used to have a Trace Elliot Commando 15 about 10 years ago and on it's own was great but in a loud punk band it couldn't cope, I think from memory that was 100 watts but I could be wrong.

I don't know how cheap these would be I think when I sold mine about 8 or 9 years ago I only got about £100 for it, so if it'll suit you it may come up either here or on ebay

I have gigged successfully for several years using a Roland Cube 100 watt. As a piece of kit I can recommend it highly, check out the reviews on this forum for other people's opinion. Obviously, the suitability of 100 watts will be dependant on type of music, type of venue etc.
Quite often the clincher is having a drummer who is willing and able to play at lower volumes.

[quote name='Len_derby' timestamp='1346258936' post='1787155']
I have gigged successfully for several years using a Roland Cube 100 watt. As a piece of kit I can recommend it highly, check out the reviews on this forum for other people's opinion. Obviously, the suitability of 100 watts will be dependant on type of music, type of venue etc.
Quite often the clincher is having a drummer who is willing and able to play at lower volumes.
[/quote]

Recommended.