Why become a member? ×

Why do Rock "Stars" never smash their basses?

Pinball

Because they're in the swing of things or enjoying themselves.

I've had to have repairs done on my 'ray after getting carried away and throwing it about (literally) at a gig. If you and the crowd are in the mood, it's not about shock value or trying to look cool, it's about having fun and making the show entertaining.

I am far too old to pull off the instrument smashing thing - bad back and I'd just look silly. And yes, it's a tad passé.

But as far as anyone else is concerned it's their bass and they can do what they like with it. If it gees the punters up a bit and adds to the ambience, then it's a legitimate audience engagement tactic and - presumably - a tax deductible business expense.

Never understood why people fall into the 'Shock Horror - Squares Keep Out' sucker trap - it's only a bit of wood after all.

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1346149564' post='1785748']
Never understood why people fall into the 'Shock Horror - Squares Keep Out' sucker trap - it's only a bit of wood after all.
[/quote]

I'm usually a bit gutted to see a perfectly good instrument smashed to pieces, no matter how poor quality it's considered to be by its owner! Give it to me, I'll have it.

[quote name='risingson' timestamp='1346150192' post='1785760']
I'm usually a bit gutted to see a perfectly good instrument smashed to pieces...[/quote]

This one's for you... Mr Hiatt shares your sentiments.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l04pABsrXrs[/media]

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='Wolverinebass' timestamp='1346099187' post='1785331']
The shock value is pretty much gone from smashing instruments. After The Who and Hendrix is there anything else left in this regard? Er, no.

What killed me about that video was that I didn't understand why he didn't swing the bass so that the string side went into the stage first. Surely that would have got the neck joint to break with one swing?
[/quote]

as alanis would say ...isnt it ironic.... (although mr silddx will probably tel me it isnt ;) ) that two of the guitars worlds most famous abused/lost guitars are restored and back in commission

iirc dweezil zappa has the hendrix strat which had the lighter fluid treatment, and of course mr trujillo with the BOD which bounced off many a stage

Edited by steve-bbb

[quote name='S9_S12_Bass' timestamp='1346081869' post='1784996']
I was expecting the bass to hit him on the rebound lol
[/quote]

That happened to Feeders bassist, broke his nose :lol:

[quote name='Chris2112' timestamp='1346084141' post='1785028']
Because only prats smash their instruments.
[/quote]

+1 Imho.

Only ever done it once, at a private party gig on cheapy instruments (2 guitars, bass and drums for £120, all battered and trashed anyway. The bass was in ok condition but was a poorly made eastern copy). Guitarist and I hit our instruments into one another at the end of our set on our last note. Both shattered :blink:

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' timestamp='1346273970' post='1787460']
Didn't one of Novoselic's basses get him back at some point? I'm sure one KO'd him when he tried to abuse it.
[/quote]

Yup. That was at the MTV Video Music Awards. He launched a Gibson RD Artist about 20ft above his head and attempted to catch it. That was never going to end well. That's one heck of a hefty bass!