Why become a member? ×

Just pulled the trigger on a Streamliner 900 & Barefaced Super Twelve!

thebrig

OK, so I've given the Streamliner a good testing over two gigs and I've decided I'm gonna chop it in as especially during last night's gig I was finding it was doing some odd things whilst I was playing and was having to keep fiddling with the EQ, gain and master volume, which isn't ideal. During my 2nd set it felt like the bottom end punch suddenly dropped out a touch and needed to boost the bass to compensate. Maybe I have a dodgy one but I gave it another A-B against my EVO II today and it sounded OK, but just find that rolling in more bass on the Streamliner is more boomy than the bass on the EVO II (with the scoop in) so I don't think it's quite the right head for the kind of sound I prefer.

Brig - I wouldn't let my experience with it concern you as I'm sure that it'll do the job you're after. I think I might try the Shuttle instead seeing as it's got the scoop on it...shame though cos it doesn't look half as sexy as the Streamliner :(

[quote name='garythebass' timestamp='1348862303' post='1819362']
Looking immensely forward to your review when you get your S12.

Just ordered a Super 12T today, and the Streamliner is on the shortlist if I replace my MB200.
[/quote]
S12T and an MB200? Amazing little rig, will punch well above its (minuscule) weight.

[quote name='legoman' timestamp='1349028764' post='1820873']
OK, so I've given the Streamliner a good testing over two gigs and I've decided I'm gonna chop it in as especially during last night's gig I was finding it was doing some odd things whilst I was playing and was having to keep fiddling with the EQ, gain and master volume, which isn't ideal. During my 2nd set it felt like the bottom end punch suddenly dropped out a touch and needed to boost the bass to compensate. Maybe I have a dodgy one but I gave it another A-B against my EVO II today and it sounded OK, but just find that rolling in more bass on the Streamliner is more boomy than the bass on the EVO II (with the scoop in) so I don't think it's quite the right head for the kind of sound I prefer.

Brig - I wouldn't let my experience with it concern you as I'm sure that it'll do the job you're after. I think I might try the Shuttle instead seeing as it's got the scoop on it...shame though cos it doesn't look half as sexy as the Streamliner :(
[/quote]

Mibass?

[quote name='legoman' timestamp='1349449326' post='1826517']
Funny enough I'm gonna road test a 550W MiBass during my gig on Saturday so I'll see if that's the one for me!
[/quote]

Be interested how it goes. Considered one of these but got the Streamliner instead without hearing the Mibass.

[quote name='thebrig' timestamp='1349458619' post='1826671']
Just got the email from Alex. asking for the balance on the Super Twelve.

The wait is going to be even worse now that I know I shall be receiving it soon. :unsure:
[/quote]

In the meantime you can offset some of the cost of it by flogging your Thumpinator to someone with a lesser amp, your Streamliner has such a circuit built in.

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1349460799' post='1826705']
In the meantime you can offset some of the cost of it by flogging your Thumpinator to someone with a lesser amp, your Streamliner has such a circuit built in.
[/quote]
I might just do that!

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1349453578' post='1826596']
Be interested how it goes. Considered one of these but got the Streamliner instead without hearing the Mibass.
[/quote]

Well I tried out the MiBass but as I was playing a larger venue than normal I basically found it couldn't pump out enough volume during the soundcheck so I swapped over to my EVO II instead. Basically I had to have the volume maxed out and it wasn't loud enough so tried to increase the gain a bit more but the thing just started crapping out on any peak levels and distorting so I gave up without gigging it.

It's odd because this thing is supposed to kick out up to 550W, which is close to the same as the max of one channel of the EVO II (of which only had the volume up to about 1 o'clock when I gigged it on Sat) but it was really way behind in terms of power and punch.

Shame as it's a nice little number and probably be fine for smaller gigs but isn't up to what I need :(

The search continues...

[quote name='legoman' timestamp='1349740624' post='1830043']
Well I tried out the MiBass but as I was playing a larger venue than normal I basically found it couldn't pump out enough volume during the soundcheck so I swapped over to my EVO II instead. Basically I had to have the volume maxed out and it wasn't loud enough so tried to increase the gain a bit more but the thing just started crapping out on any peak levels and distorting so I gave up without gigging it.

It's odd because this thing is supposed to kick out up to 550W, which is close to the same as the max of one channel of the EVO II (of which only had the volume up to about 1 o'clock when I gigged it on Sat) but it was really way behind in terms of power and punch.

Shame as it's a nice little number and probably be fine for smaller gigs but isn't up to what I need :(

The search continues...
[/quote]

Ooer, glad I didn't go that way in that case, especially as my base cab (geddit?) is the Midget which needs a fair bit of juice to drive. Glad I'm happy with my Streamliner.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok guys, I should be getting my [b][i]Barefaced Super Twelve[/i][/b] tomorrow after a ten week wait.
My brand new [b][i]Genz Benz Streamliner 900[/i][/b] has been sitting at home, waiting patiently for seven weeks, to be coupled up with it's new partner.

I'm hoping it's going to be an orgasmic experience!

I think I might start a new thread with my thoughts/review on the new rig, so keep an eye out over the next few days.

Edited by thebrig

[quote name='thebrig' timestamp='1350996725' post='1845974']
Ok guys, I should be getting my [b][i]Barefaced Super Twelve[/i][/b] tomorrow after a ten week wait.
My brand new [b][i]Genz Benz Streamliner 900[/i][/b] has been sitting at home, waiting patiently for seven weeks, to be coupled up with it's new partner.

I'm hoping it's going to be an orgasmic experience!

I think I might start a new thread with my thoughts/review on the new rig, so keep an eye out over the next few days.
[/quote]

Let's hope its all your expecting - next thread may be entitled 'Underwhelmed!'

• 2 months later...

[quote name='Gordon Thudmaster May' timestamp='1357830537' post='1929182']
So? Did it all work out well? GB and Barefaced?
[/quote]

One of thebrig's postings here....

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/194432-calling-all-gb-streamliner-bf-super-twelve-users/page__p__1901994#entry1901994"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/194432-calling-all-gb-streamliner-bf-super-twelve-users/page__p__1901994#entry1901994[/url]

[quote name='Gordon Thudmaster May' timestamp='1357830537' post='1929182']
So? Did it all work out well? GB and Barefaced?
[/quote]

Well, it did for me, at least!

I'm wondering, though, whether the problem some people are having with the low-end depends on the instrument used as someone has already suggested.

The limited EQ bands available might not suit certain guitars for producing a certain sound, perhaps.

Personally, I'm not finding the bass uncontrollable or unfocussed in any way at all. With the bass at 12 o'clock it sits perfectly in the mix in our band, and my band-mates agree wholeheartedly.

The Streamliner/S12T combination has exceeded expectations and given me that sound and [i]feel [/i]that previously only existed in my head.

For me it's absolute perfection, but maybe it's just a matter of personal taste - let's face it, life as a bass player would be pretty dull if there was only one bass, one amp and one cab that were the solution for everyone.

[quote name='garythebass' timestamp='1357838398' post='1929374']
Well, it did for me, at least!

I'm wondering, though, whether the problem some people are having with the low-end depends on the instrument used as someone has already suggested.

The limited EQ bands available might not suit certain guitars for producing a certain sound, perhaps.

Personally, I'm not finding the bass uncontrollable or unfocussed in any way at all. With the bass at 12 o'clock it sits perfectly in the mix in our band, and my band-mates agree wholeheartedly.

The Streamliner/S12T combination has exceeded expectations and given me that sound and [i]feel [/i]that previously only existed in my head.

For me it's absolute perfection, but maybe it's just a matter of personal taste - let's face it, life as a bass player would be pretty dull if there was only one bass, one amp and one cab that were the solution for everyone.
[/quote]

I was thinking of getting a BF super 12, but at the moment, use GB 9.0 Streamliner/Bergantino HD210, have just bought a Roscoe CS4 (was a PB man) and the sound difference is unbelievable! Your point about 'guitar' has started me thiking!!

[quote name='Gordon Thudmaster May' timestamp='1357922234' post='1930711']

I was thinking of getting a BF super 12, but at the moment, use GB 9.0 Streamliner/Bergantino HD210, have just bought a Roscoe C
S4 (was a PB man) and the sound difference is unbelievable! Your point about 'guitar' has started me thiking!!
[/quote]

Ooh, nice!

Perhaps the Streamliner likes J-style pups?

My S12T replaced an EBS 1x15 with a tweeter. The EBS is a great cab, but the Barefaced fills the room better and moves a whole lot more air - you really feel it as well as hearing it. I kept looking round expecting to see a big stack behind me! :)

On top of that it's a better shape and a lot less weight.

[quote name='garythebass' timestamp='1357838398' post='1929374']
[/quote]

This pretty sums up how it is for me. All my amp/cab gas is cured. 95% was getting Barefaced cabs, the other 5% switching to a GenzBenz.

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1357987082' post='1931321']
This pretty sums up how it is for me. All my amp/cab gas is cured. 95% was getting Barefaced cabs, the other 5% switching to a GenzBenz.
[/quote]

Yes, kind of for me, although I think its the power of the Streamliner which makes my BF cabs work so well so its possible another equally powerful amp may have done the trick. Those cabs work beautifully with a hefty bit of grunt going into them.

Since changing the V1 valve to one of less gain and so swapping a lot of the distortion available for clean power I've been more than happy.