Why become a member? ×

Just pulled the trigger on a Streamliner 900 & Barefaced Super Twelve!

thebrig

I really think the Streamliner/BF combination is near-on perfect.

Depends what you want from it etc, I seem to be playing mostly soul and funk at the moment and having a rather a crush on Bernard Edwards' playing and for this even my imagination can't conjure a better combination. Especially when I'm loading up.

Surely a combo thus equipped is on the drawing board?

It's week [b]FOUR[/b] for the Super Twelve, so still a long way to go yet, but I tried the Streamliner 9 through a Ampeg SVT 6x10 at rehearsal the other night, and it sounded great, so can't wait to team it up with the Super Twelve. :rolleyes:

When I do eventually receive it, I will let you know what it sounds like.

Edited by thebrig

[quote name='legoman' timestamp='1345679687' post='1780547']

Ha ha I hear you brother!!

As The Dood knows, I'm coming at this from the other way having been a Barefaced Super Twelve owner for the last couple of months, but still looking for the ideal lightweight head to go with it and the GB stuff interests me no end. The BST is an amazing cab, especially for its weight and size and makes a welcome break from lugging around less powerful yet much heavier 4x10s.

At the mo I've resorted back to my Ashdown EVO II 900 head (which weighs much more than the BST cab!) and have recently tried out the Class D version of the EVO III in the form of the Ashdown ABM 1000 with my BST which sounds just as good without weighing a ton, but would love to know if the GB Streamliner 900 can produce the same depth and warmth that I can get with my old trusty EVO II. I've seen the stuff on YouTube which suggests it could, but as ever it's down to how the pudding tastes.

I've tried a number of lightweight heads so far but nothing comes close to the tone I like from the EVO II + BST combination so I hope Alex goes into overdrive at Barefaced and gets your cab to you sooner rather than later!!
[/quote]

You used a Gallien Kruger MB Fusion with the Barefaced by any chance?

[quote name='Graham' timestamp='1348054543' post='1808519']
You used a Gallien Kruger MB Fusion with the Barefaced by any chance?
[/quote]

Yes I have Graham, I gave it a good testing a while back but found that the GK lacked a touch of warmth to the tone, just a bit too harsh and hi-fi for my liking, plus the bottom end didn't feel naturally big and punchy (soz that's the only way I can describe it lol). I have a MusicMan Cutlass with a 3 band EQ mod and usually I have all the tone controls on full and let the head do the final shaping and initially will set any head tone controls to 12 o'clock, but struggled to get something I really liked with the GK with my Super Twelve T without serious tweaking of the tone controls on both the head and bass, whereas on my Ashdown EVO II it's pretty much plug in and go.

Hope that makes some sense mate!

[quote name='Graham' timestamp='1348073164' post='1808926']
Cheers mate, I'm planning on replacing my EBS Fafner and Proline 4x10 with (I'm thinking) a Super 12T and a micro head - I like a deep but articulate tone with a strong lower mid presence, you come across anything that ticks those boxes?
[/quote]

Well so far in the micro / lightweight heads dept, not yet from my perspective and I've tried a fair few now (TC, GK, Ampeg, Orange TB plus a few other randoms). I've tried out the Ashdown ABM 1000 with my BF cab which is really nice tonewise (very similar to my EVO II), but isn't 'micro' in the usual sense as it's about the same width as the BF cab but on the plus side it doesn't weigh a ton (it's about 9Kg from memory which is light for an powerhouse Ashdown head!). The major downer with this head is that it's not cheap (nearly a grand). I'm hoping that the Genz Benz will be the answer and from what I've heard it could be, but as usual it's not until you plug in and play that you feel whether it's right or not. Will keep you posted and if I come across any other micro heads on my travels I'll let you know.

I think your choice of BF cab is ideal for that type of sound you're after. I play a variety of styles (funk, rock, blues, metal, d 'n' b / big beat) and it seems to handle anything I throw at it (especially when switching from fingers, thumbs and plectrum along with various overdrive/synth effects I use) so you'd be half way to your ideal lightweight setup by getting a Super Twelve T :)

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1348130882' post='1809607']
Or, indeed, GB! Its great to have found a tone to which you keep returning, clearly it works very well for you. Quite envious as I think I'm still looking to reach that position, probably defining by things I don't like rather than do.
[/quote]

I've been the same with my Ashdown EVO II...I keep coming back to it as it ticks all of my boxes apart from size and weight! I just hope the GB Streamliner I have on order comes somewhere close tonally otherwise my hunt will continue for the ideal micro head (or that I've have to save up the extra queen sheets and get myself the ABM 1000 :'( !)

[quote name='WalMan' timestamp='1345669653' post='1780367']
I hope you do really big loud gigs, 'cos I have the STM 6 & S12T and that's [i][b][size=8]LOUD!!![/size][/b][/i]
[/quote]

[b][size=8]+1[/size][/b] [b][size=8][size=5]I HAVE A SHUTTLE 6 AND A SUPER 12 AND IT'S[/size] INCREDIBLY LOUD!!! [/size][/b][size=8][size=2](sorry was I shouting?)[/size][/size]

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on this as I've been looking at the Youtube videos of the Streamliner - particularly the Ed Friedland video and a Streamliner 6 is now the front-runner in my to try list.

Is there any difference between the Streamliner 600 and 900 apart from the power?

[quote name='Graham' timestamp='1348244179' post='1811380']
Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on this as I've been looking at the Youtube videos of the Streamliner - particularly the Ed Friedland video and a Streamliner 6 is now the front-runner in my to try list.

Is there any difference between the Streamliner 600 and 900 apart from the power?
[/quote]

Shade of grey

I suppose it depends on the efficiency of your cabs. With my Midget I can easily get to 12 O Clock on all three gain/volume type controls. Still plenty left but it does drink the juice and needs an amp which can give it plenty. Plug the Compact in as well and for the same level the Master gets backed off.

There's a difference between 'loud' and 'sensitive'.

My Midget needs loads of power into it to be able to hear it at reasonable (not very loud) levels. Pumps loads more in and it will go loud without noticeably distorting.

My Compact needs far less power into it for the same levels. Its less inefficient than the Midget but if I pump loads more power into it it'll go load too.

They will both go loud without the sound falling apart, louder, I'm sure, than your average single driver cab.

Put them together and they will need less power for the same levels, pump it in and it goes unnecessary.

Neither are sensitive, particularly the Midget, and require a big engine, hence my choice of (and fishing resources for) a GB Streamliner 900.

For a similar power going in my old Trace 4x10 was louder than the BF. Impractically large and heavy as it was.

[quote name='legoman' timestamp='1348571702' post='1815275']
Just got the call from Nevada that I should be getting my Genz Benz Streamliner 900 tomorrow....will let you all know how this hooks up with my BF Super Duper Twelve T ASAP! :)
[/quote]
Please do!
I've had my Streamliner 900 for [u]five weeks[/u] now, but it's only [u]week five[/u] of the wait for my BF Super Twelve.

Come on Alex, hurry up please.

Edited by thebrig

Righto, it's arrived at my work today, feels really solid and looks like it can handle a few knocks but a touch heavier than I expected when compared to say the dinky Ampeg and GK heads I've tried (not that I'm complaining as it's still way lighter than my EVO II!) so will give it a full test drive this evening and let you know what it sounds like with the BFST :)

Ok, so I gave the GB Streamliner a run through last night....I A-B'd it along side my Ashdown EVO II and managed to dial in something close EQ wise and it's fairly close to the sound that I'm used to but at the mo not 100% on it. I'm playing a couple of gigs this weekend so will see how it fairs then.

I think that much of the tone I like is reliant on using both the EQ scoop and subsequent tweaking of the Ashdown EQ - I can mimic the scoop element on the Streamliner by cutting the mid with the switch set at 660 and cut to about 10 o'clock, then roll in the Bass to around 2'oclock but I then don't have the advantage of adding subsequent hints of bass and mid like I can on the Ashdown. I can probably get around this by editing the patches on my GT-10B to pre scoop the tone but it's a bit of pain to have to do this on the number of patches I use. The Ashdown is a touch punchier than the Streamliner in the bottom end way, as when I tried to roll more bass on the Streamliner I found it a bit more boomy than when I roll the bass in on the Ashdown. It maybe that the Shuttle is a better choice for me over the Streamliner seeing as it offers a scoop, but the vids on YouTube seem to showcase the Streamliner with a tone I prefer over the Shuttle which is why I went for that initially.

That said the Streamliner is a fantastic head and I'm sure you'll be more than happy with it Brig, I just think I'm so used to the Ashdown scoop + EQ sound that it's harder to immediately embrace something else. Like I say I'm gonna give it a real go over the weekend before I decide on whether to keep it or keep looking, but I thought I'd let you know my initial impressions :)

Thanks for the review so far Legoman, looking forward to your thoughts after you've gigged them together.

My first proper rig was a Ashdown ABM 575 head, ABM 1x15 & ABM 2x10, which I really liked, although I know many on here, don't really dig the Ashdown sound, which is fair enough, as it definitely has a sound of it's own, and I suppose it's a bit like 'Marmite' really.
I had to get shot of it because back and shoulder problems, and I'm now very much on the lightweight route.

My Shuttle 6 was a little too clean and polite for me, and so far, having tried the Streamliner through a couple of hired cabs, I think it is closer to the sound I want, I just hope that the Super Twelve will be the perfect match for it.