Why become a member? ×

removed

paddybass

I suspect that's actually something like a Columbus copy from the 70s / early 80s.

As far as I know, Fender have never produced a laminate body of that type - certainly not from the Corona factory. You can pick Fender neck plates up on ebay for as little as £10.

Edited by simon1964

i shall call a spade a spade- that isnt laminate, that is playwood. plywood is made of veneers layered on top of each other at 90 degrees, for strength mostly. that will be a solid body, but is it not a little heavy?

I was a joiner for a few years, when i hear things like this, i just feel the need to point out that it could easily be someone making a precision from plywood. mmmmmhhh, cost-effectiveness.

although, it is something that has crossed my mind before. also making a bass out of cardboard.

Squier or similair copy (looking at the truss rod access I'd say more likely Squier than something like a columbus), 70's style Logo £15 from t'interweb, neckplate £10 from ebay. Hope you didn't pay much for it, or you've been seriously had?

Edited by Nibody

[quote name='paddybass' timestamp='1345485530' post='1778061']
thanks for the input guys. seems a lot of work to go to to laminate like this when you could just saw the shape out of a lump of wood. or maybe getting a large enough piece of wood is the problem? anyone else got any similar pics? cheers.
[/quote]

Like MiltyG565 says, it's cheaper. Lots of smaller bits of wood are cheaper than one big piece.
Technically, a laminate is where two or more materials are stuck on top of each other, so you're right, but when people talk about basses etc, they would generally describe this as ply, and the more expensive instruments with exotic wood tops as laminate.

• 2 weeks later...