Why become a member? ×

Decide for me- OBT or Ashdown Mi and Barefaced

njr911

I've been going round this choice for weeks now and it's driving me mad.

Started playing bass 6 months ago after 20 years of playing guitar. With guitar it was easy Vox AC30 and/or Fender Silverface Twin. With bass it's proving far more confusing

I'm currently using a Laney combo but it's an old tatty thing and bloody heavy so need to get something a bit different.

I walk to my rehearsal studio so it would be handy to be able to carry everything (only 5 min walk) so do I get an Orange Bass Terror and SP210. This stack looks great and I like the Orange vibe.

Or Ashdown MiBass and a Barefaced compact ? I've only played the 2 heads in PMT so no idea how they will sound in the band. I love the headphone out on the MiBass so I can play without disturbing the wife.

I'm getting to the point of getting both and seeing which works best and flog the other.

Don't buy both, you'll lose loads of money on the gear you decide to flog. Ask around, see if there's someone nearby who will let you try out their stuff in exchange for beer/biscuits if you can't try it in a shop.

I bought two cabs when I only really needed one (using an OTB!) and lost quite a bit on the cab I decided to sell.

Also, walking for 5 minutes might appear easy, but with a bass in a hard case, amp and cab in hand you will probably want a little collapsible sack truck. Lightweight stuff is a blessing house to car, car to venue, venue to stage, but the whole lot combined is still a bugger to lug around on foot for longer journeys on foot!

If you've settled on a cab... and can get a shop to stock the heads nearby, you needn't buy either without trying them out.

If you can't... you can purchase both amps and return one in the 30 day return window... you may end up shedding value if it's not 100% immaculate - and they will make you pay postage - but some online stores seem decent.

It's a thought. I've heard people getting great results with both. :D

Edited by PlungerModerno

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1344403847' post='1763890']
You say that weight is a factor. The SP210 weighs 44lbs, and the Compact weighs 27lbs. Quite a difference!
[/quote]

Yes, and having played through both, I`d take the Compact any day. The SP210 is plenty loud, but doesn`t seem to have much depth to the sound. The Compact has a lot more in this area.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1344407452' post='1763903']
Yes, and having played through both, I`d take the Compact any day. The SP210 is plenty loud, but doesn`t seem to have much depth to the sound. The Compact has a lot more in this area.
[/quote]

+1. And Barefaced lets you try it - then send it back if it doesn't work for you... but you have to join a que.... (nearing the end of week seven of my wait for one :blush:).

Are the SP's dampened and batted? or does the heavy cab have sufficient rigidity to not need batting? I'd hesitate as I've heard some Orange cabs have a lack of these crucial features... even at oranges prices (which aren't rock bottom). :huh:

[quote name='PlungerModerno' timestamp='1344418331' post='1764051']

Are the SP's dampened and batted? or does the heavy cab have sufficient rigidity to not need batting? I'd hesitate as I've heard some Orange cabs have a lack of these crucial features... even at oranges prices (which aren't rock bottom). :huh:
[/quote]

I think Orange are pretty old school when it comes to internal bracing, unlike BF.
The SP is a bit different, though. Due to the nature of the isobaric design, it will have a second baffle set a couple of inches behind the visible front one to hold the second driver, not to mention the horizontal section on which it sits. All of this could be viewed as internal bracing, although that's not its primary purpose. All adds to the weight :-)

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1344422138' post='1764132']
I think Orange are pretty old school when it comes to internal bracing, unlike BF.
The SP is a bit different, though. Due to the nature of the isobaric design, it will have a second baffle set a couple of inches behind the visible front one to hold the second driver, not to mention the horizontal section on which it sits. All of this could be viewed as internal bracing, although that's not its primary purpose. All adds to the weight :-)
[/quote]

Interesting. I guess it counts. I'd need to hear them in person to see about resonant behavior... (You can definitely tell is a cab is solid and dampened when you give it a hard rap... should sound 100% dead. [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJy3TscsL-U"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJy3TscsL-U[/url])

The SP's are the 'tandem' 210's aren't they?

I suppose it makes a lot of sense for bass... not as much as the 2 & 3 way designs... but Orange are concentrated on the vintage tone.

Thanks for all your advice guys!

I've decided due to the fact that the MiBass would cost me less than half the price of a OBT I'll get a MiBass at the moment and then keep my eye out for a resonably priced OBT in the near future. I still want an OBT but the MiBass at the price is a no brainer.

Now just to decide on Cabs - I can get Ashdown stuff at great prices so MiBass cab or the VS series are options as would be a Barefaced Compact but is it worth three times the price of a VS212 or VS115 ?

[quote name='njr911' timestamp='1344439171' post='1764532']
Thanks for all your advice guys!

I've decided due to the fact that the MiBass would cost me less than half the price of a OBT I'll get a MiBass at the moment and then keep my eye out for a resonably priced OBT in the near future. I still want an OBT but the MiBass at the price is a no brainer.

Now just to decide on Cabs - I can get Ashdown stuff at great prices so MiBass cab or the VS series are options as would be a Barefaced Compact but is it worth three times the price of a VS212 or VS115 ?
[/quote]

Depends on the budget - and how much your back is worth!
If you have to carry a rig up & down stairs regularly, and aren't a very strong person, some Cabs aren't worth the pain IMO.
Barefaced attracted me 'coz of the weight. They generally get described as great sounding too.
If another cab sounds very good, and you can transport it without too much trouble, and if it's 1/3 the price? I'd consider it.

[quote name='njr911' timestamp='1344543551' post='1766327']
Can't get the LB unfortunately. New stuff only. Thinking the VS212 might be the way to go. Really fancy a Mi12 but is it powerful enough to gig or would I need the VS too?
[/quote]

Depends on venue and stage volume, PA support if available.

I'd look at two 112's before a 212 if it were ashdown - their cabs are like most... heavy on the flat, and very heavy negotiating stairs.

If 2 112's isn't enough then 2 210's might be... failing that 2 115's is slightly more [s]sensitivity[/s] sensitive (i.e. louder) typically.

only after that would I look at a new 212 - or 410 or 610 or 810 or 215. They aren't practical enough for me ATM. YMMV of course.

Edited by PlungerModerno

[quote name='brensabre79' timestamp='1344605001' post='1767011']
You could also look at Barefaced Midget, it's a 1x12 like the MiBass, and I reckon it would be plenty loud enough for that amp. cheaper than the Compact too... The Barefaced stuff is in another league.
[/quote]

I've heard the midget is amazing - needs a little more lows in the EQ to be as deep as a compact... but it's tiny, light enough to juggle, and loud enough on it's own for some people in not-so-quiet applications.

Cool stuff, and a totally different league than a standard 112 (assuming the MiBass is one of them).