Why become a member? ×

Warwick thumb 5 string B.O. serious GAS!

lowdowner

I'm having a serious attack of GAS :o

Having had a real tempting moment of MM Stringray 5 string lust, I've returned to my original love of Warwick Thumb B.O. and am lusting over a 5 string Thumb B.O. (I'd really dig that low B!)

Does anyone on here have one, or had one? Any comments or recommendations?

http://www.warwick.de/modules/produkte/produkt.php?cl=EN&katID=24051&linkID=47659

:gas: :gas: :gas:

Just got a Streamer yesterday :D. All I did was kill some time in the local music shop. I had no intention of buying. An hour later I emerged with a big dopey smile on my face and a a hefty 10 month finance plan.

Its lovely :)

Buy itBuy itBuy itBuy itBuy itBuy itBuy itBuy itBuy itBuy itBuy itBuy itBuy itBuy itBuy itBuy itBuy itBuy itBuy itBuy itBuy itBuy itBuy itBuy itBuy itBuy itBuy itBuy itBuy itBuy itBuy itBuy itBuy itBuy itBuy it

My mate has a Thumb 5 BO - albeit a broadneck version, something only available as a custom option these days for comedy money.
As basses go, the Thumb is utterly unique, like playing a bit of tree - in a good way. B)

One day, I will own one. If you keep your eyes peeled you should be able to pick one up for a good price.

[quote name='lowdowner' timestamp='1343847458' post='1756342']
Oh god... that's all I need - do you reckon it's 'better' than a 5 string NT thumb?
[/quote]

what is a BO better than a NT? They are different, I think it was romour6 who had a couple of BO he loved and then 'upgraded' to the NT and didn't like them.
If I were you I would look for an early NT.... but thats just me. :)

I have a B.O. 4 string and I've started a search for a 5 string (some jazz transcriptions I have go really low!) so it seemed the best place to look. But the NT 5 string seems really well thought of...

+ the NT looks fab and i've drunk the best part of a bottle of grog, so I'm looking at it through beer goggles! :) :)

I have a BO 5 broad neck but I would want to recoup most/all of the £1050 I paid for it only a few months ago (like someone says, its a custom shop option and therefore very pricey).

[attachment=114726:p1010101rl.jpg]

Edit: referencing post below, i don't notice neck dive (although I use a 3" wide padded leather strap) but it is quite heavy at around 11 pounds

Edited by Clarky

I had a 5 string bolt on for a while and couldn't get on with it at all.

People go on about Gibson T'bird neck dive but the Thumb was in a different league altogether. I found it really heavy and painful to play with all the weight being supported by my left thumb. There is no way I could play it live so I sold it on. It's a shame because I think mine had nicer grain than the one that was shown on Warwick's website at the time.

No problem when played sitting down, and maybe if you have a short strap it would be OK

[quote name='Shockwave' timestamp='1343897736' post='1756873']
I have a Vintage handmade Thumb NT5 for £1200 if your interested :)
[/quote]

I would seriously consider that! The NT's do sound a bit different to the BO's (a bit beefier in the lows and a bit more sparkly in the upper registers), but at that price you are onto a winner! The earlier NT Thumbs are sublime. Throw in some Bart pickups and an EMG preamp like did with mine and you will have a friend for life!

[quote name='shizznit' timestamp='1343900496' post='1756925']
I would seriously consider that! The NT's do sound a bit different to the BO's (a bit beefier in the lows and a bit more sparkly in the upper registers), but at that price you are onto a winner! The earlier NT Thumbs are sublime. Throw in some Bart pickups and an EMG preamp like did with mine and you will have a friend for life!
[/quote]

Step into my office.

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/183068-fsftpe-warwick-thumb-nt5-1986-in-vintage-white-l1200/

It's a 1986 one :)

For me, the boot's on the other foot. I've had a couple of NT's but never owned or played a BO so I'd be interested in comparing and contrasting too.

Both of mine were 1990's, a four string fretted and a five string fretless which I stupidly had fretted because I wasn't playing fretless in the band I was in at the time. OMG, it was the best fretless I'd ever heard or played, something really special about the midrange from the wenge/bubinga. Hindsight eh?

Post-fretting, the five was still a spectacular bass. One of those instruments (like a Precision) which sometimes sound out of context in isolation but usually make perfect sense in a band situation. The midrange bark ALWAYS cut through and was never overwealming. The two band EQ again was no more than was needed to manage the top or bottom.

Want one again. Quite badly.

:-)

[quote name='lowdowner' timestamp='1343847458' post='1756342']
Oh god... that's all I need - do you reckon it's 'better' than a 5 string NT thumb?
[/quote]

Better? No, just different. The difference in weight/balance is minimal despite the shorter body on the NT. Maybe the NT weighs slightly more. The main difference is in the tone, with the NT sounding a little more mellow to my ears and the BO having a little more 'honk' in the upper mids, and a bit more of a noticeable bark in the tone overall. The biggest difference is - or was - the price. BO Thumbs used to be a great bargain but some of them have some pretty optimistic price tags attached, even used!