Why become a member? ×

Noise Limiters at gigs

Rayman

I [i]strongly[/i] disagree about the question of playing too loud.

Playing particular genres of music such as jazz or even pop for example can be played with some restraint I agree. [i]However[/i]....are you seriously suggesting that a, for example, AC-DC tribute band should play with restraint? Utter nonsense that I'm afraid. A rock audience are there to hear their music loud. Yes it shouldn't be deafening [i]necessarily [/i]but music like that should be played with some gusto, or there's no point, and believe it or not, I've heard of venues booking such bands, and still having noise limiters on the wall.

I do agree however, that any good musician, drummer, guitarist of whatever should be capable of playing with restraint in the right situation, but not in the situation described above.

If you have an issue with volume, don't book bands [i]at all[/i]. Just my opinion of course.

[quote name='Rayman' timestamp='1343042127' post='1744069']
I [i]strongly[/i] disagree about the question of playing too loud.[/quote]Do you feel the audience should be subjected to hearing damaging dB levels in order to receive an 'authentic' tribute experience?

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1342948751' post='1742969']
The real issue is the idiots who choose to live near a pub or venue that has live bands, and then complain about it
[/quote]

i think that's a bit unfair.

it assumes that everyone has a free choice as to where they live (which they don't) and also if a pub decides it wants to put on live music when they haven't before it leaves the local residents with a source of noise they may not have bargained for.

[quote name='bartelby' timestamp='1342968087' post='1743233']
Like the people who buy a house in the centre of the the Imola race track. Then complained about the noise from the races, track days and testing and get very close to having the circuit shut down.
[/quote]

Hands up who else would have HAPPILY swapped! I always rather liked the idea of watching The Doctor from the comfort of me own roof.

[quote name='Thurbs' timestamp='1343046597' post='1744173']
Do you feel the audience should be subjected to hearing damaging dB levels in order to receive an 'authentic' tribute experience?
[/quote]

Calculated risk, innit? People don't go to a rock gig and expect a quiet, sedate evening, do they? Moving away from the tribute thing, you can't reasonably expect a high-energy punk band, or crushing doom outfit, or most other 'rock' bands for that matter to keep the noise down and still sound they way they should or give the best performance they can. If the punters go in expecting less than, say, 80dB then more fool them...

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1343047557' post='1744195']

it assumes that everyone has a free choice as to where they live (which they don't) and also if a pub decides it wants to put on live music when they haven't before it leaves the local residents with a source of noise they may not have bargained for.
[/quote]

In those circumstances then yes, the residents do have reasonable grounds to complain. But you do often get people choosing to move in next to a live music pub and then getting shirty because it gets a bit loud on Friday nights... never underestimate the stupidity of humans, or overestimate their ability to think ahead.

Edited by mrdreadful

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1343047557' post='1744195']

[/quote]

See your point buddy, but most of the time people who haven't been given the free choice will just be content with what they've got.

And I can't speak for everyone, but I'd prefer the distant muffled sound of live music over generic pub noises any day (you know, loud voices all trying to talk over each other, and the 'pub laugh'). So if a nearby pub did decide to start booking bands it would be a welcome change

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1343053192' post='1744346']
See your point buddy, but most of the time people who haven't been given the free choice will just be content with what they've got.

[/quote]

i don't agree with that generalisation, but that's not the point of this thread.

I know there are limiters which are incorrectly adjusted and the neighbours are a pain, and the council doesn’t like live music, but if you are a very loud band then you might consider it your responsibility to check the venue for any limiters first.

Rather that than to turn up and blame everyone else because there is a limiter and the only way you can play is loud!

[quote name='Balcro' timestamp='1342994903' post='1743709']

In the case you mention, you refer to both "secondary sound insulation glazing" and "double glazing" in the Licence. Can you tell me what precisely was fitted? One type is good and the other could be a waste of money.

Balcro.
[/quote]

The license did not specify 'sound insulation glazing' it specified double glazing , the spec of the glazing was irrelevant to the license as long as 2 pieces of glass were there , Ironically , the pub window frames were/are glazed with 6.4 lam , so stretching a point they already were double glazed.
we fitted 6mm tough secondarys with a 100mm space anyway , the techies thought it would be a good job. and everyone seems happy .

[quote name='lurksalot' timestamp='1343072133' post='1744866']
The license did not specify 'sound insulation glazing' it specified double glazing , the spec of the glazing was irrelevant to the license as long as 2 pieces of glass were there , Ironically , the pub window frames were/are glazed with 6.4 lam , so stretching a point they already were double glazed.
we fitted 6mm tough secondarys with a 100mm space anyway , the techies thought it would be a good job. and everyone seems happy .
[/quote]

Well, it looks like you triumphed despite the uninformed - not really idiots. The person who wrote "double glazing" was definitely in the category of the uninformed. It could have been the Licensing Officer or it could have been, I'm sorry to say, an Environmental Health bod acting as adviser. Either way the spec words are WRONG and misleading.

"Double glazing" which is commonly 4:20:4 in a domestic setting only has a small acoustic effect whereas your "sound insulation glazing" / double window, is exactly what is required. With a 6.4:100:6 system you will probably achieve a full 20dB sound reduction.

Balcro.

Edited by Balcro