Why become a member? ×

I don't really understand Rickenbackers

cloudburst

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1343699373' post='1753923']
Well here's a turnip for the books. :)
As I mentioned earlier in this thread, the very first bass I ever played and learned a tune on was my step-dad's Ric over 25 years ago. He and my mum split up a year or two later and I probably only ever bumped into him 5 or 6 times over the years after that. Well, we recently got back in touch again through fb and....

Here is the bass in question... a 4001.
It will be 40 years old this Sept. Cost him £259 back in '72. It's completely original and all still going strong.

He's taking it 'round to mine this weekend coz he wants me to have a look at it as the E string can sometimes pop out of the nut. The last guy to have a look at the nut was a guy in a repair shop in London back in '72... a bloke by the name of Dan Armstrong. :D

Oh aye, and the other bit of news about it is, he confided in me tonight that he's decided to leave it to me in his will.... I had to tell someone. :blush:
[/quote]

Tell you what Rich, I'll give him £300 for it now which he can then pass straight on to you; it'll save everyone a lot of bother.(smilies - why can't I get smilies at work?)

Ah,'72s.......*sigh*

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1343718293' post='1753967']
Lovely, thanks for that, hope you have a great time at the w/e, a few of those Murphys and a lot of chat! Oh, and some bass tinkering, of course!
[/quote]

I'm sure we will. The family's away to Belladrum festival for the weekend so I've got the place to myself. Much bass-nerdy-ness will ensue. :)

[quote name='4000' timestamp='1343719801' post='1753986']
Tell you what Rich, I'll give him £300 for it now which he can then pass straight on to you; it'll save everyone a lot of bother.(smilies - why can't I get smilies at work?)

Ah,'72s.......*sigh*
[/quote]

Haha
I think he may see through that plan somehow. :D

Well that's assuming this site isn't complete bollocks of course;
[url="http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/bills/article-1633409/Historic-inflation-calculator-value-money-changed-1900.html"]http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/bills/article-1633409/Historic-inflation-calculator-value-money-changed-1900.html[/url]
Using that site £259 in 1972 came out at current equiv of £2885. Makes you think a bit.

[quote name='dave.c' timestamp='1344002048' post='1758542']
[attachment=114819:dave-meros_spocks-beard_02.jpg]

...and bound all the way round as well!
[/quote]

So it's a fake then? ;)

Edited by bartelby

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I heard a really great Rickenbacker sound the other night; the guy in the Dreaming Spires. He was using flats on a 4001 into a SVT and some kind of H&K 4x12. No clank, just fat. Nice.

Very fine band... a three-piece fronted by two brothers, with the guitarist doubling on keys and both singing harmony. Some top songs and more than a little taste of Big Star and Teenage Fanclub, if you like that sort of thing (which I very much do).

http://www.thedreamingspires.co.uk/#/home/4568942287