Why become a member? ×

New rig Idea's :)

GetYourFunkOut93

I am currently looking at getting a new rig. Need some advice.

Things Im getting---

[u]Heads-[/u] MarkBass Little Mark Tube 800
MarkBass Little Mark 800

[u]Cabs- [/u]Vanderkley 112MNT (two of them)
[b][color=#000000][font=Helvetica-Bold, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][size=3][b][left]Baer ML112 (two of them)
[/left][/b][/size][/font][/color][size=5][b][left][font="Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif"][color="#800000"] [/color][/font][/left][/b][/size][/b]Bag End PD 12-D (Just One of them)

My thoughts are defo the Markbass.. but it is worth the extra £80 for the tubes?

And my cab choice is Vanderkley BUT its alot of money for two 112 cabs- £675 EACH.

I'm looking for light weight cabs and two cabs if poss.

I'd opt for the LM3 or the F1/500, or even the TTE500 if you are going Markbass.

Reason? The 500W powered heads sound much warmer and more musical.

The Tube versions aren't, IMO, tubey in the slightest. However, the TTE500 IS very warm and tubey, but also VERY clear and precise.

Cabs? Tough one.

Check Thomann for the Markbass cabs as they are fantastic prices at the moment.

well I play in a rock back (ACDC to chilies ect) Up against the guitarists 412 and 210 cabs and a heavy drummer, Then In my other band we play Cee Lo Green to guns and roses. So I need small compact for one band and a good sized rig for my others.

I see 2 x112 cabs are very popular at the moment and Vanderkley look and sound great.

I play alot of slap bass and funk/soul/blues in my spare time and I hold a jam night in my local so play alot of funk for that.

I've heard alot about barefaced cabs but Im not too keen with them myself.

I've been using a Barefaced Super Twelve and it's absolutely amazing. Very very loud, can take a LOT of power (1200W) yet it's very compact and a one-hand lift.

It's on loan, I've got to return it soon and I'm going to miss it VERY much indeed. Perfect for the LM Tube. You can tell I like it. ;) It would serve you extremely well in both your bands and you wouldn't need two rigs. You should definitely try one! You'll like it!

Edited by discreet

[quote name='GetYourFunkOut93' timestamp='1342623783' post='1738087']
Not sure about 500w, Think I need abit more tbh :)

Im not looking for massivly tubey anyways, So might go for the LM800
[/quote]

Don't immediately jump for the highest wattage. Bass Gear Mag tested the amp frames for the Momark amps, and the lower wattage (500) seemed to hit or exceed their wattages, whereas the higher rated ones didn't get close.

I've not heard the LM800, but out of your options, if you want higher wattage, I'd go for that.

[quote name='GetYourFunkOut93' timestamp='1342629761' post='1738285']
Im really looking for 2x 112 as I can use it as a stack or just the single cab for small gigs :)
[/quote]

Aha! The EAD Foundation 112 >> [url="http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/prosoundhire/foundation-112.htm"]http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/prosoundhire/foundation-112.htm[/url]

[quote name='GetYourFunkOut93' timestamp='1342629761' post='1738285']
....Im really looking for 2x 112 as I can use it as a stack or just the single cab for small gigs....
[/quote]

I use 1 or 2 Bergantino AE112 cabs for the same reason.

If you can afford the Vanderkley cabs I'd definitely look at Berg HD112's before you buy.

No point pumping an 'extra' '300watts' into 2 1x12 cabs. They will only ever go so loud, all you are doing is increasing the amount of headroom, but alas!1

The Markbass power module for the 800watt units is actually pretty poor, 800 watt @ 4 ohm gives you a peak of about 600-650 and a continuious of about 600watt if that!
Continuious power is what we should be interested in. The 500 watt units deliver a better continuious power, being just shy of 500, so personally I'd save even more dosh and stick with a 500 watter, the audible loudness through the same speakers will be negligable.

The extra power is only important if you want to get purely massive deep bottom at reasonable volumes, but the cab has to be able to produce those frequencies too so unless you haver a barefaced big twin there is no point.

Tube or not. The tube in the LMTubes is a small one but it does add the harmonic distortion you get from preamp tubes, and it sounds pretty good as a stand alone preamp. I prefer the tube over the Solid state, also on the LMTubes you can mix between solid state or tube, so you at least have a choice.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1342632999' post='1738389']
No point pumping an 'extra' '300watts' into 2 1x12 cabs. They will only ever go so loud, all you are doing is increasing the amount of headroom, but alas!1

The Markbass power module for the 800watt units is actually pretty poor, 800 watt @ 4 ohm gives you a peak of about 600-650 and a continuious of about 600watt if that!
Continuious power is what we should be interested in. The 500 watt units deliver a better continuious power, being just shy of 500, so personally I'd save even more dosh and stick with a 500 watter, the audible loudness through the same speakers will be negligable.

The extra power is only important if you want to get purely massive deep bottom at reasonable volumes, but the cab has to be able to produce those frequencies too so unless you haver a barefaced big twin there is no point.

Tube or not. The tube in the LMTubes is a small one but it does add the harmonic distortion you get from preamp tubes, and it sounds pretty good as a stand alone preamp. I prefer the tube over the Solid state, also on the LMTubes you can mix between solid state or tube, so you at least have a choice.
[/quote]

Very helpful mate :) Thanks!

So should I get the LMTube 500 (the normal one) or even the little rocket 500... Or even the LM III?

Also with cab choice.. What would you recommend? I play Mid size gigs and some outdoor events with two bands.. I want some power behind me but light weight (ish) cabs that are easy to lug around.

Thanks for the great advice btw :)

Wattage doesn't = volume.

Go & try some amps & cabs & find out what you like. I could tell you the LMII is a brilliant little amp that will do all that you could ask & I wouldn't be lying, but some folk don't like it. I'm vary happy with mine. :)

I have an LMT 500w and it's played some huge gigs with just one 1x12' cab!

TBH I hardly ever use the tube anymore, as I realised it's a bit "muddy" for my liking (I do like tubes!).

I highly rate Epifani cabs, couldn't stress how good they are. I rte them above barefaced and vanderkley.

But... horses for courses.

I would go for an LM3 (or LM2 on the preowned market and an Epifani UL2 122 (or the newer UL3 series). I would sell/trade my LMT if I new I could get an LM2/3 quickly.

I can't say how it compares with many other amps as I've not played through that many, but I can recommend you give a Streamliner a try. Lots of valves, mines a 900 and has power-a-plenty, is tiny and weighs little. It cost twice what I had budgetted for but I'm not regretting a penny at the moment.

(I'm afraid its used with BF cabs, a Midget T and/or a Compact which seem to tick all your boxes, but you've dismissed them. Played an outdoor even on a pretty big stage the w/e with just the Midget.

It won't cost you to send Alex an email and tell him what you want, he's about as impartial as a proprietor can be and knows about other cabs. Read his articles to help inform your decision whichever way you go.)

Edited by 4 Strings

Decibels = how loud a thing will go. Watts are different.
Obviously you want cabs with a decent power rating to avoid burning them out volume, but I think any decent cabs are gonna handle the amp. It's down to what cabs you like the sound & look of.

[quote name='GetYourFunkOut93' timestamp='1342718417' post='1739970']
So what you are saying that if I get a 1000w amp head.. It will be as loud (with the right cabs) than a 500w amp head?
[/quote]

Easily. Same difference between 500w head and a 1000w head as between an Ampeg SVT 8x10 and a Barefaced Super 15: 3db. Plus the speakers need to cope with a 1000w to get any benefit from the other 500w. For loudness, choose the right speakers, and don't sweat the watts. I get my retarded gig volumes with 140w.