Why become a member? ×

Bass toolkit

mjpovey

All that's generally needed are an allen key to fit the truss rod, an allen key to fit the bridge saddles and a small phillips screwdriver.
Anything more than that and you're wandering out of the 'basic' arena.

If you want to be a bit posh then [url="http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/products/5651-cruztools_guitar_bass_10_in_1_multi_tool"]these[/url] look interesting as an 'all in one'.

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1342475210' post='1735940']
All that's generally needed are an allen key to fit the truss rod, an allen key to fit the bridge saddles and a small phillips screwdriver.
Anything more than that and you're wandering out of the 'basic' arena.

If you want to be a bit posh then [url="http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/products/5651-cruztools_guitar_bass_10_in_1_multi_tool"]these[/url] look interesting as an 'all in one'.
[/quote]

I've got one of these and it's a lifesaver! Cost me £8 and has every size screwdriver/Allen key you'd ever need!

Edited by skej21

I know that those multi tools seem like a good idea and can be very handy but I avoid them and prefer single, good quality tools. My thinking is that they are weighty and bulky, and that there is more chance of me damaging the instrument than when using proper tools.

I always take my tool box along to gigs, including a soldering iron. Haven't had to use it yet but it's in the car just in case.

I'm another advocate for quality individual tools. I have a small set of Snap-on allen keys (from Truss rod down to bridge saddles), assorted quality drivers (you'll need a larger diameter for adjusting the intonation screw) and wire snips for strings. I also have a larger toolkit for more than a bit of fettling. ;)

My brother gave me a Leatherman Wave multi tool and I use it for on the spot guitar/bass maintenance. Only thing I don't like about it is that the screwdriver part is really in danger of scratching the finish on my tele when adjusting the intonation (my basses have a bit more clearance so it's less of an issue). I wouldn't use it at home for setups or anything as I have dedicated tools which are more comfortable to use, but it fits in my bag and is a quality product, perfect for in a pinch. I [i]think[/i] it comes with the right allen keys but I haven't needed them yet.

Edit: If you're just looking tools for general maintenance at home, I'd be an advocate of buying decent tools as you need them. It's worth investing in good ones as well, because even one stripped allen key in the middle of a truss rod adjustment will have you swearing all the way to B&Q to get a replacement! :P

Edited by Commando Jack

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1342476857' post='1735993']
Lidl or maybe Aldi sometimes did a handy tool set with the necessaries, that someone would buy all of and sell as guitar kits for loads more on ebay.
[/quote]

Absolutely!! Got mine for £3.99 from Lidl. What a bargain!!

As always, you can never tell when they'll turn up for sale. Just a matter of keeping your eyes open I'm afraid.

Got a little kit thats called Cruz tools. In addition to whats already been mentioned it has feeler gagues, rulers, a torch, string winder. Its all in a nice case and pretty good quality. I have been using it for a couple of years and its great. I have added some other stuff like spare batteries, screws, spanner etc and its all in a nice little case.

Edit:

pressed space before finishing.

Edited by BottomE

I took delivery of a new bass last week. It won't fit in my old gigbag, so I've just been transferring everything to a new gig bag. I've also been doing a bit of maintenance. I've piled up the following items.

In terms of tools and maintenance items from the gigbag-

Various allen keys
Cross-head screwdrivers - small and medium
Pocket multi-tool (only ever used by the drummer when he forgets his drum key)
Gaffa tape
Microfibre cloth
Small "electricians" scredriver
Gutar tuner (hand eld type, not pedal)

I've also over the last few days put strap locks on the guitar, done a set-up and changed the strings. I've also got to repair a couple of guitar leads before rehearsal so I also have nearby -

Cross head screwdriver (Large) (replacing strap buttons)
13mm socket and ratchet (for the strap end bits of the strap lock)
2 ft steel rule
Feeler guages (although honestly a credit card would do as well)
Lemon Oil and rag
Guitar polish
Soldering iron, solder and braid
Wire cutters
Wire strippers
Mutli-meter

Unless you're gong to get into fret levelling and profiling / refrets, the above is probably about 95% of the way to definitive list. Add another couple of sockets and spanners (for jack sockets and pots) and I think you'd be there.

Edit: and a couple of flat head screwdrivers just in case.

Edit number 2: and a torch.

Edit number 3: and spare batteries for pedals (and now active electronics) and fuses for my amp.

Edited by clauster

• 2 weeks later...

Man I dream of the day I have a large shed or garage with a big chunky padlock that only has one key where I can for once in my life buy a tool, put it somewhere, come back two weeks later and just frikkin find it there!!!!!!! :angry:

(I loved that screwdriver!) *sigh*

Edited by Ashwood1985