Why become a member? ×

warranty

slobluesine

[quote name='joeystrange' timestamp='1342434457' post='1734665']
Warranties are usually non-transferable, in my experience.
Also, if you don't have the original receipt the manufacturer obviously has no proof of how old the item is and cannot/will not honour the warranty.
[/quote]

i was kinda hoping the seller would have that?

[quote name='slobluesine' timestamp='1342434076' post='1734658']
if i buy something here 'new boxed' should i expect 12 months warranty?
[/quote]

A Private/2nd hand/One off item from here, Gumtree, eBay, etc then No.
New from a dealer or shop then Yes.
[url="http://whatconsumer.co.uk/second-hand/"]http://whatconsumer.co.uk/second-hand/[/url]

Warranties are only transferrable at the Maufacturer's discretion so may be worth investigating a bit more.

Edited by jonthebass

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' timestamp='1342435578' post='1734703']
I would have thought that , you would treat everything here as 2nd hand . Basschat is the place to buy ,)
[/quote]
2nd hand or not, it should work right? i'm kinda thinking Basschat community spirit here, not necessarily 'the law' :)

Edited by slobluesine

[quote name='kevin_lindsay' timestamp='1342461011' post='1735566']
What's the item in question, and what is the problem with it?
[/quote]

havn't heard back from the seller yet so can't comment, i think that's irrelevent tho, if someone sells something here as 'new boxed' and it doesn't work out of the box it should be the same as buying from anywhere else? again i'm thinking community spirit, not litigation here

[quote name='slobluesine' timestamp='1342461453' post='1735581']
havn't heard back from the seller yet so can't comment, i think that's irrelevent tho, if someone sells something here as 'new boxed' and it doesn't work out of the box it should be the same as buying from anywhere else? again i'm thinking community spirit, not litigation here
[/quote]
if i was to sell something anywhere privately in the box i would make sure it worked before doing the deal to cover my own ass

but new isnt new if its being sold to a third party

[quote name='slobluesine' timestamp='1342435831' post='1734709']not if it is sold as 'new boxed'[/quote]
Err, unless you're buying from an authorised reseller/stockist, it's secondhand, even if it's never been out of the box.

[quote name='slobluesine' timestamp='1342461453' post='1735581']if someone sells something here as 'new boxed' and it doesn't work out of the box it should be the same as buying from anywhere else?[/quote]
Err, no. You don't have the same rights against a private seller, as the doctrine of caveat emptor applies, as you would against a commercial seller under the Sale of Goods Act 1979. This stands assuming the seller has not attempted to conceal latent defects or made material misrepresentations. In the cynical world in which we now live, saying an item is "new/boxed" would be a good excuse/defence for avoiding liability for selling goods which turned out to be faulty.

Edited by noelk27

been thinking for a while about this whole new boxed (played it a few times) so i want nearly full whack for it ! even though im not v.a.t registered i still think its worth it from sellers

second hand is second hand and with that you pays your money and take your chances

[quote name='mushers' timestamp='1342468689' post='1735774']
been thinking for a while about this whole new boxed (played it a few times) so i want nearly full whack for it ! even though im not v.a.t registered i still think its worth it from sellers

second hand is second hand and with that you pays your money and take your chances
[/quote]

....... and there's me thinking Ebay was the crap place for buyers, so.... if that's the case it's going back into for sales maybe as 'as new with original box' and i'll add the 'tough sh*t if it doesn't work' in small print. moderators happy with that?

It's only new once! If I had bought something and never opened it then sold it on here only to find it was faulty I would concider sending it back if I had the receipt and it was still under guarantee providing I was happy the buyer was not a penis or broke it somehow, if it was out of warranty I would of tested it fully before selling it anyway.

If it is faulty, and you paid via Paypal you should be able to raise a dispute and get a refund as long as it wasn't a gift payment.

Obviously this would be a last resort if the seller doesn't get back to you... Which is very unlikely for here. Good luck!

[quote name='slobluesine' timestamp='1342461453' post='1735581']
havn't heard back from the seller yet so can't comment[/quote]

[quote name='slobluesine' timestamp='1342469681' post='1735800']
....... and there's me thinking Ebay was the crap place for buyers, so.... if that's the case it's going back into for sales maybe as 'as new with original box' and i'll add the 'tough sh*t if it doesn't work' in small print. moderators happy with that?
[/quote]

It took just over two hours to get from the earlier reply to the latter. Did you get a reply from the seller between times? It's very rare on here for a selling dispute to go really nasty, I'd be very surprised if it did - unless it was that bloke from Spain via Nigeria kinda thing.

[quote name='slobluesine' timestamp='1342475869' post='1735963']
seller hasn't been online today
[/quote]

Is it a fairly active member? If so I see no reason why they won't get back to you as soon as they next visit. Again, I hope your situation gets sorted soon as poss :)

I'm assuming you've asked the seller if he knew the pickup was faulty when he sold it?

My own experience of BC when an item turns up faulty or damaged isn't too good. On both occasions I was prepared to accept that the goods had been damaged in transit. On both occasions the BCers agreed to cover the cost of repairs. On both occasions I provided the BCers with estimates and/or receipts for the work done, as well as numerous photographs of the damage for their insurance claims. On neither occasion did the BCers honour their agreement to reimburse the cost of repairs. One left me £240 out of pocket, the other £35. Other BCers have had more success getting more equitable outcomes. You should discuss the situation further with the seller. If you're not satisfied after those discussions, use the feedback thread to highlight the conduct of the seller.

another ebay dumper, selling all of his crap buys on here, others have had similar experiences with him. sellers should not be alowed to advertise kit as 'new' on here either. and it seems you have more protection as a buyer on ebay than here, be warned!!!!

feedback to follow.........

[quote name='slobluesine' timestamp='1342565988' post='1737310']
i finally get a reply from the seller.... he bought the pickup on ebay and cant remember who from, didn't have a meter to test it and recommended some pickup repairers
[/quote]

[quote name='slobluesine' timestamp='1342601067' post='1737503']
another ebay dumper, selling all of his crap buys on here, others have had similar experiences with him. sellers should not be alowed to advertise kit as 'new' on here either. and it seems you have more protection as a buyer on ebay than here, be warned!!!!

feedback to follow.........
[/quote]

Bugger! I'd be severely hacked off too, after the description you were originally given. No signs of it having been used/tried out??? All the SDs I've ever had - all 4 of them (I do like their Tele Broadcaster bridge pup) - have had very neat soldered ends to the wires, maybe about 5mm long?
I must admit, I do find it <_< that someone buy s a pickup off Ebay & it doesn't go near a guitar OR tried out before moving it on, not by a player anyway.