Why become a member? ×

GONE: 1981 Guild B402-A *price reduced* *trade options added*

neepheid

[b]14/08/2012 - Price reduced to £800 + postage.[/b]
[b]30/08/2012 - Will take trades - interested in G&L El Toro, Gibson Ripper, more when I think of it.[/b]
[b]05/10/2012 - Traded! [/b]

For sale I have one very rare bass, a 1981 Guild B402-A, one of only 335 made of all varieties, of which this is the 313th (assuming linear serial number use...)

Body: ash
Neck: maple/rosewood, set
Frets: 22
Pickups: 2x Guild single coil
Bridge: Guild BT-4 bridge (a cross between a Gibson 3 point and a Schaller 3D)
Electronics: Guild preamp, 2 band EQ
Controls: volume, volume, pickup selector, phase switch, passive/active, bass, treble (active only)

The bass sounds fantastic - both pickups together in particular sound fantastic (when in phase) - they complement each other instead of what I usually find that they kind of cancel each other out. Here are some soundclips (in the filenames, read "parallel" as "out of phase" and "series" as "in phase" - when I first got the bass that's what I thought the switch did) - [url="http://www.ifb.co.uk/~matthew/mp3/b402-a%20soundclips/"]http://www.ifb.co.uk...a%20soundclips/[/url]

This bass is in pretty good nick for its age, there is some lacquer checking on the neck and the body but you can't feel the cracks when you're playing. There is some damage at the bottom edges of the headstock, probably caused by an unpadded wall hanger and a few lacquer cracks. The bass comes with the original hard case - it's a little tatty and one of the catches has lost a spring (still works, but you have to lift it by hand). I even have a key for the case.

Here are the photos.

Can take more photos on request.

It is difficult to price these, but I'd be looking for £[s]900[/s] 800 plus postage for this.

Edited by neepheid

[quote name='billyapple' timestamp='1341514931' post='1720441']
Wow! Lovely. You're right about what you say about both Pup's in phase. She's a beauty, why are you letting her go?
[/quote]

My heart lies with Gibson (which makes it a bit easier to decide which bass has to go) but it's mostly because I overspent a little on my most recent purchase, oops :)

[quote name='Shaggy' timestamp='1341499312' post='1720095']
Lovely!

Rare as hen's teeth, and the last "proper" Guild solid electric bass IMHO

Good price - wish I could fund it.....
[/quote]

no fan of the Pilot?

Nice guitar which is w ay out of my price range, which is a shame for me as I was secretly hoping to come across one of these some day.

I tried one in 83 in a shop in Edinburgh along with the lead guitar version that was the same shape. At the time I was playing a nice Guild semi acoustic lead, which is why they caught my eye. I remember them as being excellent instruments. but had no idea they were that rare. To me they still look as good today as they did then.

Have a bump!

[quote name='billyapple' timestamp='1341560665' post='1720840']
What does she weigh?
[/quote]

I don't know, I'm at work just now so I'll have to get back to you on that one this evening.

Hi, best guess I have is around 9lbs (stupid bathroom scales). Lighter than my Victory Artist and a little lighter than my RD Artist, but heavier than my IV.

Will get a more accurate weight on the scales at work.

I was considering taking her off your hands, this is a seriously nice bass. Regrettably motorcycle accidents have weakened my left shoulder, and I think a 10lb+ bass would be too much (I think my TBird is 8.3, which is good for me).

Good price too, I can't see her hanging about for that long