Why become a member? ×

Where Do You Stand and Why?

paulbass

I stand on the far left (from the audience perspective) next to the guitarist, we share a mic so it's easier that way. I have tried standing on the far right next to the keyboard player. I found that more difficult from a sound perspective as I was far away from guitar and drums, and the keyboard player insists on having her keys and vocal levels up, so I felt a bit deafened.

Largely because our drummer is nuts and way too loud, and drives me mad, I don't stand near the drums. Though at times I can look across to him, but he doesn't tend to notice much.

I suppose it's become a habit, but our venues are not that large to have much scope for experiments.

Hi-hat side. Always had trouble with keeping in time, which is great for a bass-player (I tend to speed up if left to my own devices), so it's easier to lock in with the drummer and keep eye contact. I prefer also to be as far back as possible because I'm shy and it puts me off if I think people are watching me (this is in spite of a theatrical career of over 30 years). I also have a tendency to stand with my back to the audience but I'm working on it.

[quote name='BottomE' timestamp='1341251695' post='1715821']
Does anyone who has more that one speaker cab split them up. For example, placing a cab either side of the drummer? If this isn't a good idea why not?
[/quote]

Interesting question. I've never seen it done but would be interested in anyone experiences with it.

[quote name='rOB' timestamp='1341254721' post='1715903']
Interesting question. I've never seen it done but would be interested in anyone experiences with it.
[/quote]
Kept thinking there must be a good reason for not doing this but what is it?

http://billfitzmaurice.info/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=398

Sub Placement:
While it’s customary with PA to have speakers to either side of the stage, that’s usually not the best way to place subs. Subs work best when they’re placed either close together for mutual coupling, or spread very wide to cover large areas. The basic rule is to have them either less than a quarter-wavelength apart or more than two wavelengths apart for their pass band, which for 40 to 100 Hz means less than 2.8 feet or more than 56 feet. To understand why click on this link, which demonstrates the destructive interference between subs that are separated:
http://www.falstad.com/wavebox/

[quote name='bremen' timestamp='1341258139' post='1716027']
[url="http://billfitzmaurice.info/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=398"]http://billfitzmauri....php?f=10&t=398[/url]

Sub Placement:
While it’s customary with PA to have speakers to either side of the stage, that’s usually not the best way to place subs. Subs work best when they’re placed either close together for mutual coupling, or spread very wide to cover large areas. The basic rule is to have them either less than a quarter-wavelength apart or more than two wavelengths apart for their pass band, which for 40 to 100 Hz means less than 2.8 feet or more than 56 feet. To understand why click on this link, which demonstrates the destructive interference between subs that are separated:
[url="http://www.falstad.com/wavebox/"]http://www.falstad.com/wavebox/[/url]
[/quote]
thanks for that.

I like to stand on the floor tom side if I get a choice, that lets me see my fingerboard, the guitarist or piano player (depending on the band), the singer and the drummer without turning round too much.

Jb

Edited by jonnybass

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1341055213' post='1713258']
I prefer to set up on the left side of the stage (facing the audience) but it's more to do with the practicalities of wielding a large instrument rather than visual communication with the drummer.

(edit)

Interestingly because of the music we play, we find ourselves sharing the stage with a lot of bands using Double Bass. They nearly always set up on the right hand side of the stage.
[/quote]

Isn't that weird... exactly the same... especially the DB observation... which can be a pain if you're sharing backline!

Edited by Fuzzbass2000

Both the drummer and myself are lefthanded but as I play mostly an NXT EUB with my bass guitar slung to my side(which allows for quick changes between numbers) we don`t get in each other`s way but can still have eye contact, seems to work for us anyhow!

I normally set up on the right side of the stage as viewed from the stage with, yes, the chance of headstock cymbal interface problems.
We're a 5 piece:
Singer in the middle
Guitarist to his left.
Keyboards to his right.
Me behind the keyboards and beside the drums.
I'd prefer the other side but as 'they' want those 3 across the front of the stage I am forced to lurk in the shadows and the guitarist gets his side of the stage so he doesn't encroach on the singer's arm flailing with his guitar neck.
I normally have no space and no monitor...but often find myself closest to the dressing room. :)

Edited by Twigman

[quote name='paulbass' timestamp='1341054129' post='1713236']
Hi I've been playing bass for a fair few years and a young friend of the family who has taken up bass has join a band and asked why i always stood on the snare side of the drummer. I explained that for me i can communicate with the drummer better and watch what he is doing so we keep a strong groove.
[/quote]

That makes a lot of sense to me. Stick with what works for you.

[quote name='mushers' timestamp='1341056227' post='1713273']
right infront of the door to the tiolets, not by choice only played out a few times and got lumbered with that spot each time
[/quote]

Me too, and I play out a fair bit. There is some logic to it. I don't have a pedal board for drunks to fall over, and i have a bigger instrument to whack them with if they get in the way.